• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Backup Problems - NIS 2006 and 360 v2

Wasn't quite sure where to put this.

I run Norton Internet Security 2006, along with about 8 other Norton products, on the computer I use.  I have tried using Save and Restore to do a full backup way too many times.  S & R will backup drives D, E, F, G, but will not backup drive C.  I get the message that the hardware is not working. (the hardware that I just backed up 800 gig to from the other drives?)

I have Norton 360 v2 on my wife's computer and can't backup anything on it.  I get a message - "scan already in progress.  please wait till it finish and try again."

MaxBlast (a free program) has done full backups on both computers, but Norton Protection keeps informing me that I need to do a backup.  Anyone know how to turn off the Norton backup protection alerts?

I have spent money on Norton Products since 1991 and truly believe in and push Norton Products to everyone I know.  And I can't even email them for support.  I waited for Live chat one night for about an hour and was still 97 in the queque.  Another time I was able to get on live chat but got disconnected right after they asked for control of my computer.

Message Edited by Renegade on 12-08-2008 01:50 AMMessage Edited by Renegade on 12-08-2008 01:51 AM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Backup Problems - NIS 2006 and 360 v2

For the Norton 360 2.0, the issue may be due to background scan running. You just need to disable the Symantec Tamper protection, end the scan, and then run the backup again.

Temporarily turn off Norton 360 2.0 Protection
1. Start Norton 360.
2. Click Settings.
3. Under Quick Controls , uncheck SymProtect Tamper Protection.
4. Click Close.

Close Scan process

1. On your keyboard, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
2. In the Windows Security dialog box, click Task Manager.
3. On the Processes tab, click Show processes from all users.
4. In the processes list, select the Scanstub.exe, and then click End Task.

Kudos0

To prevent the Norton backup protection alerts from appearing, you may need to disable the whole Backup feature in Norton 360:

1. Start Norton 360.
2. In the main window, click Backup.
3. At the bottom of the Backup-Details window, click Turn Off Backup.
4. Click Close.

Kudos0

Thank You very much!!!!  This worked on my wife's computer.  I couldn't find Scanstub.exe in the processes, so I tried it and it worked.

Any ideas on the backup problem on the NIS 2006 computer?

Thanks Again!!

Renegade

Kudos0

Please get the complete message you are getting when you try to backup. Where(destination) exactly you are trying to backup the C: drive? Are you able to backup after disabling NIS 2006 completely?

Personally, I don't think this as an issue with NIS 2006, it may be a problem related to Norton Save & Restore. Better to start a new thread with the above information in this LINK, as this community deals with norton 360 only. You will surely get sufficient help there.