• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

BSOD - installing NIS 2012

I renewed my license to NIS in July 2011 and all was well until about 10 days ago. I think it was just after Microsoft patch Tuesday when I saw an error in NIS. I tried the automatic fix suggested by NIS, which led me to unistall NIS completely and then re-install NIS 2012.

I am unable to complete the installation of NIS 2012. When the installer says "Starting services" my PC will get a BSOD.

STOP 0x0000007E

SYMEFA.SYS

and I get a crash dump.

This is completely reproducible on my system. I have used the Norton Uninstaller several times even in safe mode, and I always get the BSOD when installing NIS2012.

Running Windows Vista Home premium, 32-bit SP2.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: BSOD - installing NIS 2012

mpjames53 wrote:

I renewed my license to NIS in July 2011 and all was well until about 10 days ago. I think it was just after Microsoft patch Tuesday when I saw an error in NIS. I tried the automatic fix suggested by NIS, which led me to unistall NIS completely and then re-install NIS 2012.

I am unable to complete the installation of NIS 2012. When the installer says "Starting services" my PC will get a BSOD.

STOP 0x0000007E

SYMEFA.SYS

and I get a crash dump.

This is completely reproducible on my system. I have used the Norton Uninstaller several times even in safe mode, and I always get the BSOD when installing NIS2012.

Running Windows Vista Home premium, 32-bit SP2.

Welcome,

Sorry to hear about the problem. Are you able to download any other software. I'd suggest the free scanner from Malwarebytes found here:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free Please download, install, update and reboot. Catch the reboot in time to get to safe mode and run the scanner from there. You might also try the Norton Power Eraser found here:

http://us.norton.com/support/DIY/index.jsp Run this one from safe mode also and select the option to check for rootkits. This should clean your system up enough to download and install NIS2012. If not please post back and we'll bring out the bigger hammers.

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Thanks for the help. I re-started in Safe mode, ran a Malwarebytes quick scan. Found nothing. Ran the Norton Power Eraser also in Safe mode and found nothing. I really don't think it's a virus-related problem. I'd be more inclined to think there's a driver issue. Maybe the Nvidia video?

Mike

Kudos0

mpjames53 wrote:

Thanks for the help. I re-started in Safe mode, ran a Malwarebytes quick scan. Found nothing. Ran the Norton Power Eraser also in Safe mode and found nothing. I really don't think it's a virus-related problem. I'd be more inclined to think there's a driver issue. Maybe the Nvidia video?

Mike

Hi Mike,

It could well be a driver issue. With the way things have been for the last week or so I'm thinking more in terms of an incorrect install. Not on your end. To be sure you have a clean install for your copy you might try the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool found here: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20110217171332EN

Let us know how it goes 

Kudos0

There are a number of reasons for this error, and the cause may also depend on your operating system and whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit.  I would suggest checking for updates for video, audio and network drivers, and have a look in your event viewer to see if there is an error reported in system and applications.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

I had trouble with the Norton RnR tool, because I had followed another thread recommending this Norton tool - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe. The Norton Removal Tool gave me a BSOD when reinstalling NIS 2012. I was only able to reboot using Last Known Good Settings.

When I tried the RnR tool, it failed with a message about "another reinstall is already in progress". That's where I am at the moment. Fully patched Vista Home Premium, SP2, 32-bit. Originally started with NIS 2009 and now stuck.

Thanks for any other advice, Mike

Kudos0

mpjames53 wrote:

I had trouble with the Norton RnR tool, because I had followed another thread recommending this Norton tool - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe. The Norton Removal Tool gave me a BSOD when reinstalling NIS 2012. I was only able to reboot using Last Known Good Settings.

When I tried the RnR tool, it failed with a message about "another reinstall is already in progress". That's where I am at the moment. Fully patched Vista Home Premium, SP2, 32-bit. Originally started with NIS 2009 and now stuck.

Thanks for any other advice, Mike

Mike,

Let's try to clean everything out and get a fresh start. If there's anything in the control panel uninstall it. Run the Norton Removal Tool and reboot. This should give you a clean slate so you can install NIS. Get a copy from here:

http://norton.com/nis12

Be sure to run live update and reboot until the program tells you that all of the updates have been downloaded and installed.

Let us know how it goes

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.