• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

BSOD occuring when waking up from sleep mode - NIS2010

pegas 

Thx,

Can somebody shed light or help me?

While I am enjoying NIS one thing bothers me a lot. Sometimes when waking up my VAIO from sleep I get a BSOD and computer restarts itself. I tried to track the crash down but I didn't find any rule to replicate the crash. It occurs randomly, it means that some wake ups are OK but suddenly next one initiate crash. However one thing is sure, it never happened before I installed NIS2010. ESET was uninstalled using their removing tool, then remnant files and registry were cleaned, so I am sure that all traces of ESET went off. NIS is my only security installed. My VAIO specification is described in my signature. These crashes occurred cca 4 times but finally today I was quicker than CCleaner :-) and I saved minidumps files which are enclosed for your survey.

Having NIS2010 for about 3 weeks now and very impressed so far. I moved over from ESET Smart Secirity and I have to admit that in Symantec they did a big leap with NIS2010. My last experience with Norton was back in 2007 with NIS2007 and I was not so impressed so I opted ESET instead. However as I heard a lot of positives about NIS2010 I gave it a try and bought a 5 pack license. It paid off. NIS2010 is very fast, light, smarty GUI etc. NIS2010 puts ESET on a second rail at least.

I am a newbie here, so please be gentle to me :-)

Hi folks,

Acer TravelMate P645-MG, Intel Core i7 4500U 1,8GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3GHz, 12GB RAM, SSD 256GB, AMD Radeon HD 8750M with 2GB, Windows Pro 64 8.1

Replies

Kudos0

Re: BSOD occuring when waking up from sleep mode - NIS2010

pegas 

Thx,

Can somebody shed light or help me?

While I am enjoying NIS one thing bothers me a lot. Sometimes when waking up my VAIO from sleep I get a BSOD and computer restarts itself. I tried to track the crash down but I didn't find any rule to replicate the crash. It occurs randomly, it means that some wake ups are OK but suddenly next one initiate crash. However one thing is sure, it never happened before I installed NIS2010. ESET was uninstalled using their removing tool, then remnant files and registry were cleaned, so I am sure that all traces of ESET went off. NIS is my only security installed. My VAIO specification is described in my signature. These crashes occurred cca 4 times but finally today I was quicker than CCleaner :-) and I saved minidumps files which are enclosed for your survey.

Having NIS2010 for about 3 weeks now and very impressed so far. I moved over from ESET Smart Secirity and I have to admit that in Symantec they did a big leap with NIS2010. My last experience with Norton was back in 2007 with NIS2007 and I was not so impressed so I opted ESET instead. However as I heard a lot of positives about NIS2010 I gave it a try and bought a 5 pack license. It paid off. NIS2010 is very fast, light, smarty GUI etc. NIS2010 puts ESET on a second rail at least.

I am a newbie here, so please be gentle to me :-)

Hi folks,

Acer TravelMate P645-MG, Intel Core i7 4500U 1,8GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3GHz, 12GB RAM, SSD 256GB, AMD Radeon HD 8750M with 2GB, Windows Pro 64 8.1
Kudos0

Hi pegas:

I'm thinking that you may have a video driver issue.  Check for updates at the computer manufacturers website, and Microsoft updates to see if you can find something compatible.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi pegas

Does Device Manager show anything wrong, that is what ever is the equivalent for that in Vista.? Are you having any problems with the time on your computer, like any errors showing up. Could it be a cmos battery problem? I think I remember seeing a thread in the Forum some thing about the length you have your computer sleeping or something to do with the timing before it went to sleep. Sorry, I can't remember the exact details, but I think there was something similar to this problem. I was just trying to come up with a few remote possibilities here.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

pegas, thanks for the mini-dump. The initial indication is that there likely is a conflict with another driver on the system. Thanks for describing your ESET uninstallation. Do you have any other security or encryption software on your system? If you open a command prompt (as administrator) and run "fltmc filters", what does it report?
Reese AnschultzSenior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Thx to all for your inputs.

Re delphinium: My VAIO is completely up to date, i.e. Windows updates and VIAO updates as well (including the latest ATI, drivers etc.).
Re floplot: Device Manager shows nothing unusual, no question marks. No errors, everythings OK with my comp.
Re reese: I do not have any other security or encryption software on my system. Runing "fltmc filters" reports nothing, I mean entering this into command prompt does not trigger any action.

BTW, what the heck might be that my posts are written upside down?

[edit:Removed vulgarity.]

Message Edited by shannons on 12-17-2009 11:30 AM
Kudos0

Hi pegas

Your posts don't look upside down to me.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thx. 

Can any1 advise how should I set the normal text flow?

It means when pressing Enter at the end of a sentence, the cursor goes up instead of down what is usual.

However when I am writing directly on this message board, my posts are upside down, you can see it.

Yes, because I wrote this post in notepad and then pasted into board.

Kudos0

pegas wrote:

Thx. 

Can any1 advise how should I set the normal text flow?

It means when pressing Enter at the end of a sentence, the cursor goes up instead of down what is usual.

However when I am writing directly on this message board, my posts are upside down, you can see it.

Yes, because I wrote this post in notepad and then pasted into board.

Perhaps a screenshot might be helpful :)  And what do you mean upside down?  Like you flipped the screen upside down?
“ We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard ”--President John F. Kennedy
Kudos0

Hope it is more clear now.

However normally, it should be vice versa.

4. etc.

3.(pressing enter and cursor goes up instead of down)

2.(pressing enter and cursor goes up instead of down)

1. (pressing enter and cursor goes up instead of down)

Usually when I am writing on other forums or in Word, notepad etc. and I press Enter key, the cursor jumps down. It means that the last written sentence is above the cursor. I will show you on numbering.

I apologize to mislead you. English is not my native language, so I will try to more elaborate ...

Kudos0

Did you wait till the page FULLY load up?

Other then that, I cannot replicate the bug you are experiencing.  I'm typing this straight in the Norton forum box and the enter works fine...

“ We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard ”--President John F. Kennedy
Kudos0

It must be down to Opera browser!!!

Now I am typing this post in IE8 and as you can see the text ranks as usual.

So definitely bug in Opera. Very strange, never see this in Opera before.

Kudos0

Try reporting the bug at the Opera forum @ http://my.opera.com/community/forums/

Be warned, most Opera'ers are VERY anti-Symantec!

This is getting way off topic now.  Are you still having this BSOD?

Kudos0

Hi pegas

Do the BSOD occur if you are using IE8 as your default browser instead of Opera when your computer goes to sleep?  I am thinking that perhaps Norton's is having a problem with Opera.

Kudos0

OK will report the bug later. Yes, I agree back to topic. Situation remains as I wrote, BSOD occurs randomly but having no clue for this behaviour. Even if trying to replicate it, it means when I manually trigger sleep mode, it doesn´t occur regularly. 
Kudos0

Hi pegas

Do the BSOD occur if you are using IE8 as your default browser instead of Opera when your computer goes to sleep?  I am thinking that perhaps Norton's is having a problem with Opera.

Interesting! IE8 is my default browser but maybe you are right that when BSOD occurred Opera has been launched. Will try the sleep mode without Opera running.

Kudos0

Hi pegas

I think Opera is your problem. According to the system requirements for NIS 2010

• Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6.0 or higher (32-bit only) ***
  • Mozilla Firefox® 3.0 and later
  • Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
    Kudos0

Hi pegas

I think Opera is your problem. According to the system requirements for NIS 2010

• Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6.0 or higher (32-bit only) ***
  • Mozilla Firefox® 3.0 and later

• OK, I would understand that Norton safe web doesn´t work in Opera but I can´t imagine they (Norton and Opera) clash in so extent ending up in BSOD.

Kudos0

Hi pegas

The system requirements for the program say for IE and Firefox. I would take that to mean that the program would have problems if you do use opera or any of the other browsers out there at this time.

Kudos0

Hi pegas

The system requirements for the program say for IE and Firefox. I would take that to mean that the program would have problems if you do use opera or any of the other browsers out there at this time.

OK, anyhow I will closely watch if BSOD happens when Opera is running. Thx for your so far support.

Kudos1 Stats

floplot, Users are free to use whatever browser they like with NIS. The requirements just indicate what must be on the system for the product to work. Some browser protection features will only apply to the browsers indicated.Message Edited by reese_anschultz on 12-17-2009 10:36 AM
    Kudos0

pegas wrote:

[...]

Re reese: I do not have any other security or encryption software on my system. Runing "fltmc filters" reports nothing, I mean entering this into command prompt does not trigger any action.

[...]

I want to know what text was displayed in the Command box when you ran the "fltmc filters" command please. NIS shouldn't be notifying based upon running this command.

Kudos0

Hi reese

Thank you for that information.  I was thinking because opera wasn't listed, that might be a cause of the BSOD's.

Kudos0

It says error 0x80070005.
    Kudos0

pegas wrote:
    It says error 0x80070005.

That error is an access denied error. It sounds like you didn't explicitly run the command prompt as an administrator before launching the fltmc command.

Kudos0

OK reese, can you please navigate me how to run it as administrator?
    Kudos0

Reese I got it

Kudos0

pegas, thanks for the screenshot. Unfortunately it looks pretty normal. I'll pass your dump to some people that are a bit more knowledgable in this area and see what they have to say.
    Kudos0

Just want to report I am having the same problem since installing Norton Internet Security a few weeks ago.

That is, either I myself put the computer into sleep mode, or I walk away and let it go to sleep.

When I wake it up, it is back to the Logon window. When I am logged on, I get an error window

saying the Windows unexpectedly shut down.

Thanks for any help.

Sony Vaio VGN -Z690 (laptop)

Vista Business  edition

4gm ram, 32 bit os,  Intel 2.4Ghz

Firefox default browser.

Kudos0

It looks like there is a sort of incompatibility between NIS 2010 and VAIO. A friend of mine having VAIO as well has complained on the same issue. I am keen to see what reese and his fellows will bring up to cure that.

Kudos0

Hi Pegas

Have you checked with Vaio and see what they say about the problem?

Kudos0

Thx floplot for your suggestion!

I was in touch with VAIO support regarding the issue. They could not help me other than recommending to upgrade to the latest drivers etc. what I am always doing. As I wrote above I am keeping my VAIO always up to date as regards Windows, VAIO and other software installed. They said if upgrading does not help and the BSOD has been occuring since NIS installation, I should draw attention of Symantec what I did through this forum. So awaiting reese.

Merry Christmas to all.

pegas

Kudos0

Hi Pegas

Could you please check out this thread and see if your problem is like the one in this thread please?

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=86721&query.id=279507#M86721

Kudos0

Thx floplot for your suggestions. To be honest I don´t know if my problem is the same you have pointed me to. No offence but it should be rather said by an expert from Symantec. What I am sure though I did a clean install of NIS and everything works how it is supposed to. So I am not going to go through reinstallation routine because I don´t have a reason. I don´t want to undergo hocus-pocus attempts. Please turn your thoughts to another solution as I am sure NIS is installed on my VAIO properly. I am rich of experience with NIS back to 2006 and 2007 when I was using NIS.

Reese said he will draw attention of other experts in Symantec so hoping their survey will show any clue shortly.

Anyhow I do thanks for your input.

Kudos0

Just an FYI, I'm still following this thread but with the holiday season, it may be another week or so until I hear back on this.
    Kudos0

Hi reese and thx for your information. It's not a problem at all. Everybody deserves the restful holiday season. Wishing you and to everybody at Symantec a Happy New Year.
    Kudos0

Unfortunately, the mini-dump doesn't have enough information in it to be valuable. Can you change your configuration to produce kernel dumps? A kernel dump should help a lot more with isolating this issue.Message Edited by reese_anschultz on 12-29-2009 09:09 AM
    Kudos0

OK reese, once the BSOD occur again I will post the kernel dump. BTW, if I am leaving my computer for a longer time, I am closing all applications including Opera and since then no BSOD has happened. I don't know if it is just a coincidence but I wanted to to let you know at least.
    Kudos0

pegas wrote:
    OK reese, once the BSOD occur again I will post the kernel dump. BTW, if I am leaving my computer for a longer time, I am closing all applications including Opera and since then no BSOD has happened. I don't know if it is just a coincidence but I wanted to to let you know at least.

Don't forget that you have to reboot once after changing the dump setting before it will actually take effect.

Kudos0

Hi pegas,

I have exactly the same problem on my VAIO VGN-Z21VN. Since installing NIS 2010 I’ve had around 20 BSOD’s all of which Event Viewer shows a critical event of 41 Kernel-Power. It says:

'The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition.'

I checked out your minidump and it is the same as mine – cause related to ntkrpamp.exe.

I think it is a power related issue along with NIS 2010 because it only occurs during sleep / hibernation so rules out RAM etc...

I hope Symantec can sort this out.

Thanks,

Alex.

Message Edited by BOOTP on 01-03-2010 06:33 PM
    Kudos0

BOOTP wrote:

Hi pegas,

I have exactly the same problem on my VAIO VGN-Z21VN. Since installing NIS 2010 I’ve had around 20 BSOD’s all of which Event Viewer shows a critical event of 41 Kernel-Power. It says:

'The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition.'

I checked out your minidump and it is the same as mine – cause related to ntkrpamp.exe.

I think it is a power related issue along with NIS 2010 because it only occurs during sleep / hibernation so rules out RAM etc...

I hope Symantec can sort this out.

Thanks,

Alex.

Message Edited by BOOTP on 01-03-2010 06:33 PM

Hi Alex,

It looks like something belonging particularly to NIS interacts VAIO hardware and thus makes BSOD. Do you have Opera running? As I wrote in previous post I am closing Opera while leaving my comp and since then no BSOD occurred. However I don't know if this is a root or not. I will closely watch it furthermore. Anyhow, I believe Symantec will listen moaning of us VAIO users and will bring a solution as soonest.

Kudos0

Hi pegas,

I’m just running Internet Explorer 8 although I have not tested whether leaving it open or closed has any impact.

Just a long shot but did you have NIS 2009 installed previously on the same computer and then upgraded to NIS 2010?

Thanks,

Alex.

Kudos0

BOOTP wrote:

Hi pegas,

I’m just running Internet Explorer 8 although I have not tested whether leaving it open or closed has any impact.

Just a long shot but did you have NIS 2009 installed previously on the same computer and then upgraded to NIS 2010?

Thanks,

Alex.

No NIS2009, I did a clean install of NIS2010.

Kudos0

Hi pegas,

I'm using NIS 2010 on my VAIO laptop, too. But I've never had a BSOD when it awoke from sleep mode.

My configuration: VAIO VGN-FZ31S with Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. Opera's web browser has never been installed on this system.

In the beginning, I also started with ESET's NOD32. After my subscription expired, I switched over to NIS 2009 (T-Home edition which is part of my DSL contract). At  the end of October 2009, T-Home offered an upgrade to NIS 2010. Since then I've been using it without any problem.

I've heard complaints about frequent BSODs from a colleague after he upgraded from NIS 2009 to NIS 2010. He is using a Dell desktop computer and the problem occurs when he returns to the keyboard and tries to unlock the system. Maybe, it's related to the graphic system. He has an ATI graphics card. I don't know which model and I don't know if the drivers are the latest ones.

On my VAIO, I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M and fortunately no problems up to now. I keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Copperhead

Kudos0

Copperhead wrote:

Hi pegas,

I'm using NIS 2010 on my VAIO laptop, too. But I've never had a BSOD when it awoke from sleep mode.

My configuration: VAIO VGN-FZ31S with Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. Opera's web browser has never been installed on this system.

In the beginning, I also started with ESET's NOD32. After my subscription expired, I switched over to NIS 2009 (T-Home edition which is part of my DSL contract). At  the end of October 2009, T-Home offered an upgrade to NIS 2010. Since then I've been using it without any problem.

I've heard complaints about frequent BSODs from a colleague after he upgraded from NIS 2009 to NIS 2010. He is using a Dell desktop computer and the problem occurs when he returns to the keyboard and tries to unlock the system. Maybe, it's related to the graphic system. He has an ATI graphics card. I don't know which model and I don't know if the drivers are the latest ones.

On my VAIO, I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M and fortunately no problems up to now. I keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Copperhead

Thx Copperhead for your valuable input. I am glad to hear you are free of BSODs. I have the latest ATI driver and its software, all updated via VAIO update. As I already wrote, no more wake up BSODs when Opera is closed during sleep mode. I keep my fingers crossed too ;-)

Kudos0

Hi Pegas

I did mention a few weeks ago that I thought it was related to your Opera browser.

Kudos0

floplot wrote:

Hi Pegas

I did mention a few weeks ago that I thought it was related to your Opera browser.

I recall your post and so far it looks like being that case. To be honest though I am a long time user of Opera and my experience is that Opera is always non obtrusive to other softwares, systems, drivers etc. So hence I don't believe Opera is the culprit but OK time will tell us. I rather tend to suggestions posted here that it has something to do with power system of VAIO.

Kudos0

Hi Pegas,

just a small comment about your assumption that the power management of the VAIO might be the culprit:

I have two more VAIOs in the house:

1 VGN-FZ18M with Vista and NIS 2010

and

1 VGN-SR41M with Vista and NAV 2010

None of them never ever had a BSOD after waking up from sleep mode. (And none of them never ever had Opera installed on it.)

On the other hand, the colleague I mentioned in my previous message (with the Dell computer, NIS 2010, and lots of BSODs) is an Opera user. When he's back from vacation I'm going to ask him if his problem goes away if Opera is closed when the screen saver starts up and locks his computer.

Cheers,

Copperhead

Kudos0

Copperhead wrote:

When he's back from vacation I'm going to ask him if his problem goes away if Opera is closed when the screen saver starts up and locks his computer.

Cheers,

Copperhead

OK it would be interesting to see how it goes on his Dell. Please keep me informed. Thx for your support.

Kudos0

Hi pegas,

I was just wondering if you still have this problem.

I have not had the BSOD for a whole week now. I’m not sure if Symantec have done anything in an update (doubtful) but I have reverted back to using a standard power mode; namely ‘Power Saver’ as opposed to one of the VAIO optimised ones that are installed separately. ‘Power Saver’ isn’t great but I’ve tweaked a few options to make it similar to what I had (lid close and sleep time). Not sure if that was the problem but I’m still convinced it is (or was) somehow power related.

Also a colleague of mine suggested installing Windows 7 to fix the problem but although I have a copy it’s a lot of work for which I don’t have the time at the moment. What’s more I not sure that would fix the BSOD issue if I use NIS 2010 again anyway. Besides I’ve heard getting the Fn keys and S keys to work on Windows 7 is a bit tricky and I use them all the time.

I’ll see how it goes but thought I’d let you know. :)

Thanks,

Alex.

Message Edited by BOOTP on 01-10-2010 09:49 PM
    Kudos0

BOOTP wrote:

Hi pegas,

I was just wondering if you still have this problem.

I have not had the BSOD for a whole week now. I’m not sure if Symantec have done anything in an update (doubtful) but I have reverted back to using a standard power mode; namely ‘Power Saver’ as opposed to one of the VAIO optimised ones that are installed separately. ‘Power Saver’ isn’t great but I’ve tweaked a few options to make it similar to what I had (lid close and sleep time). Not sure if that was the problem but I’m still convinced it is (or was) somehow power related.

Also a colleague of mine suggested installing Windows 7 to fix the problem but although I have a copy it’s a lot of work for which I don’t have the time at the moment. What’s more I not sure that would fix the BSOD issue if I use NIS 2010 again anyway. Besides I’ve heard getting the Fn keys and S keys to work on Windows 7 is a bit tricky and I use them all the time.

I’ll see how it goes but thought I’d let you know. :)

Thanks,

Alex.

Message Edited by BOOTP on 01-10-2010 09:49 PM

Thx Alex for information. I am glad you are running your VAIO troubles free. Mine too. However I didn't change any power settings. I have still VAIO optimized. I didn't have the BSOD for maybe 2 or 3 weeks but I don't know if it is thanks to closed Opera when leaving my comp for a long time or it is just a coincidence. On the other hand I am not closing Opera all the time when going off and even with opened Opera I didn't experience the BSOD anymore. Will see.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.