• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

"Bugs" in Norton Internet Security 2011

Hi, Community,

I have seen the following in Norton Internet Security 2011:

- Intrusions are let through on Un-Safe Web Sites even although it has the Full-Page Block: When visiting an Un-Safe Web Site - I would of course advise other Members to not do this - even although the Web Page has the Full-Page Block, Norton does Block an Intrusion Attempt, which Blocking the Web Page should do before an Intrusion is even allowed to take place against your computer.

- When Download Insight is Set to "Always"/"On", Notification does not Always appear: When I have Downloaded, say, for exmaple, the Latest Version of Adobe, the Download Notification has not always appeared.

These are the two which I've noticed so far; would be interested to see if other members have been seeing this as well.  Will let the Community know if I see any more!

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: "Bugs" in Norton Internet Security 2011

Hi Foating_Red,

Having just read your thread, I have to say that regarding download Insight notification, I updated SuperAntispyware last night to the newer version, and updated my Skype to it's newer version this morning and didn't see the little window appear to say it's safe? In saying that, it just popped up to show 'wlupdate 15.4.104 is safe', although that appears every day for some reason? On other occasions it does show the little window notification for new downloads. Will keep my eye on this a bit more from now on.

Kudos1 Stats

Floating_Red wrote:- When Download Insight is Set to "Always"/"On", Notification does not Always appear: When I have Downloaded, say, for exmaple, the Latest Version of Adobe, the Download Notification has not always appeared.

The behavior of the Download Insight 'toaster' differs based upon which program actually performs the download and the site the file is downloaded from. For some downloads you won't get notified until you actually invoke the file.

Reese AnschultzSenior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Yes, I understand that sometimes for the Notification to appear, you need to click on "Run", but I have seen with some Downloads that even when you click "Run", it never displays.  I can understand Download Insight Notification not appearing when you are using the In-Product Downloader...

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

Yes, I understand that sometimes for the Notification to appear, you need to click on "Run", but I have seen with some Downloads that even when you click "Run", it never displays.  I can understand Download Insight Notification not appearing when you are using the In-Product Downloader...

A futher factor is type of file -- only PE files are evaluated. Can you provide a link to a file that doesn't get evaluated and the exact product name and version of the application that you are using to download the file?

Kudos0

reese_anschultz wrote:

...only PE files are evaluated.  

Just wondering why symantec are limiting what Files are analysed... Surely it would be better if all Files Downloaded were Analysed because as the months and years pass, more and more File-types are getting used for malicious purposes?

If I come across a Download where the Notification is not displayed, I'll be sure to let you know; thanks.

Kudos0

Floating_Red wrote:

reese_anschultz wrote:

...only PE files are evaluated.  

Just wondering why symantec are limiting what Files are analysed... Surely it would be better if all Files Downloaded were Analysed because as the months and years pass, more and more File-types are getting used for malicious purposes?

If I come across a Download where the Notification is not displayed, I'll be sure to let you know; thanks.

Mostly performance reasons. Doing an Insight lookup on everything that a web browser downloads can take a lot of time. Other file types are likely to be added if they gain prevalence as sources of malware. Also don't forget that AutoProtect, if enabled, will scan all of the downloaded files for known malware.

Kudos0

Hi Floating_Red,

There has been an instance or two of download Insight notification not working properly but all known problems have already been corrected.

One such thread is:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Download-Insight-Not-always-checking/m-p/283132/highlight/false

What do you mean by your first problem report? Are you saying that you have become infected even with a full page block in place and without clicking through to the site anyway?

Thanks

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.