• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Can Firewall be disabled in Norton 360 - and what other features over Norton Antivirus does it have.

I have been using Norton Antivirus for almost a year and like it.  My subscription will be up in 40 days or so.  

I use Comcast so I can get Norton for free but it basically the Norton 360 package and I do not want the firewall and some other things (seems to evasive/problems waiting to happen.)

Before I uninstall Antivirus and get the Comcast provided Norton 360, I have some questions please:

1) Can the Norton firewall be completely disabled and I just use Windows firewall?

2) What other major features does Norton 360 (note, I do not think the Comcast's provided one has storage but everything else) over Norton Antivirus?   Can that stuff be disabled also (basically what I am asking: can I turn off all extra stuff and it but equivalent to Norton Antivirus)? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Can Firewall be disabled in Norton 360 - and what other features over Norton Antivirus does it have.

I have been using Norton Antivirus for almost a year and like it.  My subscription will be up in 40 days or so.  

I use Comcast so I can get Norton for free but it basically the Norton 360 package and I do not want the firewall and some other things (seems to evasive/problems waiting to happen.)

Before I uninstall Antivirus and get the Comcast provided Norton 360, I have some questions please:

1) Can the Norton firewall be completely disabled and I just use Windows firewall?

2) What other major features does Norton 360 (note, I do not think the Comcast's provided one has storage but everything else) over Norton Antivirus?   Can that stuff be disabled also (basically what I am asking: can I turn off all extra stuff and it but equivalent to Norton Antivirus)? 

Kudos0

Re: Can Firewall be disabled in Norton 360 - and what other features over Norton Antivirus does it have.

Hi,

I've N360 v6 ( = 2012 ) and disabled Backup.

But you can disable other things too, pic attached.

Cheers, Jo Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Kudos0

Hi 9nines,

What is your operating system?

Kudos0

The following is in answer for a comparison I did last year on the Comcast Forum:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Norton-Anti-Virus-vs-Comcast-quot-Norton-Security-Suite-quot/td-p/1305593

That is NAV vs N 360,  below is N 360 vs Norton Security Suite (NSS) as shown in Features and Benefits:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/CGAPP/Norton

IMHO, the Norton Smart Firewall is superior ot the Windows Firewall and the windows Firewall is turned off upon installation of NSS.

Most of the extras can be disabled - I have had Backup and the Registry Cleaner disabled since I first installed NSS.  It mya take some testing nd playing around with settings to disable something and not have Norton throw up a RED X.

Something interesting is that NSS still has the Local Vault for ID Safe - but no Online vault.  NSS does not have a Norton Account neither - the license is monitored by Comcast.

Kudos0

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi 9nines,

What is your operating system?

Windows 7 X64 SP1

Kudos0

In Windows 7 you cannot disable a third-party firewall, such as Norton's, and use the Windows Firewall instead.  Windows 7 cedes firewall management to the third-party software and completely disables the Windows Firewall.  You would be able to turn off the Norton Firewall, but you will not be able to use the Windows Firewall until Norton is completely uninstalled.  This is a Windows feature that is designed to prevent the accidental running of two software firewalls at the same time.

Kudos0

SendOfJive wrote:

In Windows 7 you cannot disable a third-party firewall, such as Norton's, and use the Windows Firewall instead.  Windows 7 cedes firewall management to the third-party software and completely disables the Windows Firewall.  You would be able to turn off the Norton Firewall, but you will not be able to use the Windows Firewall until Norton is completely uninstalled.  This is a Windows feature that is designed to prevent the accidental running of two software firewalls at the same time.

Sounds like I will have to use it then.  How is it?  Will I have to manually open ports for new progams?   Or is it pretty auomatic in asking?

Kudos0

In Automatic Program Control mode (the Default) the Norton Smart Firewall handles all of the network access requests without prompting the user.  It is totally automatic, and highly reliable.  It should open required ports for any legitimate application on your system, and block any programs that appear suspicious or malicious.  It should work well for you.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.