• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Cannot uninstall NAV, trying to install 360

<<Running Windows XP (32-bit)>>

I am trying to install Norton 360 on my wife's computer but it won't allow me to b/c it says that another Norton product is installed. I uninstalled LiveUpdate using Control Panel, and also uninstalled NAV using the Control Panel -- both disappeared from the Installed Programs list. However, NAV still has a folder under C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\

I tried using the Windows Utility Install\Uninstall, didn't work. Also tried running Norton Removal Tool.exe and that failed immediately upon execution (tried three times, each time it fails and doesn't even begin to do anything). So I then tried a hard delete of the folder and, of course, that didn't work.

How can I delete the old NAV so that I can install 360?

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Cannot uninstall NAV, trying to install 360

Welcome to the Norton Community

Try booting into safe mode and run the removal tool from there. Right click on the removal tool and choose "run as administrator". Run twice with a reboot after each run and then install Norton 360.

You can get the latest version of Norton 360 from either of these locations - choose the product you actually have a product key for.

The 2.11 versions of Norton 360 standard and premier versions are available for downloading from the following locations:

Norton 360 Standard Edition

http://www.norton.com/n360s_3

Norton 360 Premier Edition

http://www.norton.com/n360p_3

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos1 Stats

XP doesn't have a right click "Run as Administrator" that's Vista

Quads 

Kudos0

Quads wrote:

XP doesn't have a right click "Run as Administrator" that's Vista

Quads 

Sorry.

Choose "run as" and then later choose "Administrator".

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos1 Stats

Hi Longstee,

You can try to boot your computer in Safe Mode and then run Norton removal tool(You can also try to delete the Norton folder in Safe Mode).

1. Restart your computer.

2. As soon as the computer starts, tap the F8 key about once per second until you see the Windows Advanced Options menu.

3. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

4. Click Yes to proceed to Safe mode.

5. Click Start button, and then click Run.

6. In the desktop, double-click Norton Removal Tool. When the tool completes, restart your computer to get back to normal mode.

Yogesh

Message Edited by yogesh_mohan on 09-29-2009 12:10 PM
Kudos2 Stats

Hi

Also with the removal tool, don't forget to click on properties and unblock it as Microsoft sometimes blocks it before you try using it.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks to all posters for the suggestions. Unfortunately, no luck because the Norton Removal Tool doesn't complete the job.

When I run NRT in safe mode, it loads correctly but then it won't run because it says the following:

"Manual Application Removal: The following programs were found on this computer. These must be removed through "Add/Remove Programs" before Norton Removal Tool can proceed.

"Symantec AntiVirus 9 or later"

The problem is that AntiVirus does not show up in my "Add/Remove Programs" list any longer. I had previously selected AntiVirus under "Remove Programs" and ran it; the result was that it disappeared off of the Programs list but the core components are still installed so it looks to the NRT tool like it is still on the Programs list.

Any suggestions??
Kudos2 Stats

Hi Longstee

I think this is your problem. Symantec Antivirus 9 is a corporate version of Norton Antivirus. I don't know if the NRT will work on Corporate versions. I did find this solution though. Please check this link and see if this link mentions parts of the program that you have.. Is it possible that you have a Corporate version of Norton's Antivirus installed on that computer? If you do, you might want to go over to the corporate forum. I did look at the instructions on this link I posted and it is a manual removal of the corporate version of  Norton Antivirus 9. It contains instructions which will involve you going into the registry to clear out the specified items. If you are not confortable doing this, THEN DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE IT THIS WAY. Hope this helps you.Thanks.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2004040815592148

Message Edited by floplot on 10-17-2009 02:05 AM
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks, Floplot, this is for sure the solution. The computer is part of a small business and networked to a server so the Corporate install is the issue and something I had never considered.

I will do this uninstall as you have mentioned. One more question, though: 

The link you posted mentions uninstalling for C:\Documents and Settings\ALL USERS\ ... I'm just wondering if editing files under all users will affect other PCs that are networked, or should I just edit the files under the one desktop name profile that I am doing the uninstall on (and contrary to what the instructions at the link say)?

Kudos0

Hi lonstee

Sorry, I'm not qualified to tell you how to do this removal. I found the link, but I don't have the knowledge to tell you what to delete or not to. Some one else who is familiar with the registry is going to have to help you with this one. I think though you may get more help by contacting the business forum since it involves removing the corporate version. Once you get that removed, then you can come back here for help installing your 360 product then. If you are installing 360 on a computer which is still being used on a corporate network type of thing, then maybe you should get the instructions for installing 360 from them also if it is available in the business part.

Here is the link for the business forum

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums

Kudos0

Hi Longstee

I'm glad you got your problem solved and came back to mark the thread solved. If you need  any further help with installing your new Norton product, all you have to do is open up another thread. Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.