• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Can't restore system after installing Internet Security 2010

Hi, I recently installed Norton Internet Security on a pc using XP.  After installing the computer ran extremely slow and I removed Registry Defender, a known malware and a lot of other stuff.  The computer continued to be slow and I tried to do a System Restore in both normal and Safe mode.  After rebooting I always got the message that the Restore did not work.  I've read several articles saying that Product Tamper Protection must be turned off for System Restore to work.  I tried this and still could not do the System Restore.  These articles were for 2009 and I've seen nothing about 2010 on this issue.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on this matter.

Regards,

123steve

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Can't restore system after installing Internet Security 2010

Hi, I recently installed Norton Internet Security on a pc using XP.  After installing the computer ran extremely slow and I removed Registry Defender, a known malware and a lot of other stuff.  The computer continued to be slow and I tried to do a System Restore in both normal and Safe mode.  After rebooting I always got the message that the Restore did not work.  I've read several articles saying that Product Tamper Protection must be turned off for System Restore to work.  I tried this and still could not do the System Restore.  These articles were for 2009 and I've seen nothing about 2010 on this issue.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on this matter.

Regards,

123steve

Kudos0

Hello 123stevewilson

What security program did you have installed before installing NIS 2010? How was the other security program removed? For NIS 2010 to run properly, it has to be installed on a system that had all other previous security programs removed in the proper way. Also, it should be installed on a clean system. It's also possible that the malware that you still have on your computer or had on your computer damaged the restore points. If you had malware on your system, then the restore points should have been deleted once your computer is completely clean and then make a new restore point.

You may still have malware on your computer. Before we attempt to get your computer clean, please tell us about the previous security programs you had used. Also if you have any other security programs installed now. Thanks

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi,  I had McAfee before and used the"uninstall programs" to get rid of it.  I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to get rid of

Registry Defender as per an article I read.  There are no other Security systems now on the computer.  Hope this helps.

Kudos0

Hello 123stevewilson

Did you use the McAfee removal tool a few times with reboot after each run of the tool before you installed NIS 2010? Did you use the free version of Malwarebytes? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "uninstall programs" which is why I asked it again. Do you mean that you just used add/remove in control panel?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Sorry,  Yes I used add/remove programs and I used the free version of  the anti-malware.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi 123stevewilson,

Removing McAfee via only add/remove programs is frequently not enough; please run the McAfee Removal Tool to get all McAfee leftovvers out of the system, if there are any remaining; you can fetch the tool from here:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Security programs have to be "sticky" and dig themselves deep into the system to ensure protection, with the frequent result that uninstalling them via the control panel is not enough for a complete uninstallation.

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Thanks,  I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Kudos0

Hello,  I did run the McAfee removal program and received a message that the removal was "incomplete" (not "unsucessful").  The log shows that almost everything was removed .  I also copied it following the instructions but I'm not sure that I can send it to a McAfee Technician, as suggested, as I don't have an account with them any more.  I also tried again a system restore, after disabeling the Norton Tamper Protection, but it did not work.  The computer still is slow when loading applications like my browser.  Once that's open internet speed is fine and so I may just have to live this condition until I can buy another computer.  So that's where I am with this mess.  If you have any other suggestions, I'd be glad to try them.

123stevewilson

Kudos2 Stats

Uninstall Norton.

Reinstall McAfee and then immediately use the McAfee Removal tool to remove all of the program (it doesn't matter if you don't activate McAfee as you are just going to remove it).

Run the Norton Removal Tool (available here) twice with a reboot of your system between the two runs.

Install NIS2010 and activate it.  Run LiveUpdate manually until you get the message that there are no more updates.  Reboot your system and see if the speed has improved.

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

This is an excellent clear-up strategy.

After cleaning up McAfee, you might consider downloading the free CCleaner.  The registry cleaner is excellent and quite conservative -- it also allows you to backup all changes.  Run it until no problems remain.  If you are concerned about registry cleaners, hold off and see if Dbris' suggestion has fixed the problem.  If not, then you might consider ccleaner then.  I have used it for a couple of years and had no problems on over a dozen computers.

Also a comment:  If you had malware on your computer previously, please understand that removing the malware does not repair all the damage it has done.  Since malware likes to invade your restore files, it is quite possible that the clean-up procedures left them unusable.  In fact, it is not impossible that malware still lurks in system restore files.  You should turn off all system restore (that is, for all partitions on your computer), then turn it back on and see if it now works properly.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Hi,  Let me ask you about the order of your instructions.  I've tried to download McAffe as you suggested but I get a message that Norton must be removed first.  I see you tell me to remove Norton after McAffe.  Can I remove Norton first?

steve

Kudos1 Stats

Hello 123stevewilson

I would suggest that you have the download for McAfee and for your Norton product on your desktop before you do the uninstalls. Remember once you do the uninstalls, you won't have any protection while online. Have everything ready on your desktop so you don't have to be without protection longer than necessary. Yes, to get a proper install of either antivirus program, you will have to remove both of them the proper way with the removal tools. Try to do as much of this while offline since there will be no protection. You will have to remove Norton and have the key handy also so that you can reinstall it after you have gotten rid of McAfee the proper way first.

Kudos0

I now have McAfee on the desktop computer in question.  However, when I try to go online  to get the Mcafee removal tool, I can't get connected to the internet.  I'm sending this on my laptop which is wirelessly connected to the same modem and is working ok so I don't think it is a problem with the internet connection.

sw

Kudos0

HI,  Ok when I got rid of McAfee, the connection to the internet came back.  When I had no Security at all, the computer

ran quicker.  Then I loaded Norton Internet Security again.  The computer shut down saying there was danger to the computer.  When I started it again, I could not connect to the internet again and received a message that I needed to uncheck "Working Offline".  I did this and still no connection through the desktop in question, although my laptop is wirelessly connected.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the next step?

Thanks.123steve

Kudos0

123stevewilson wrote:

HI,  Ok when I got rid of McAfee, the connection to the internet came back.  When I had no Security at all, the computer

ran quicker.  Then I loaded Norton Internet Security again.  The computer shut down saying there was danger to the computer.  When I started it again, I could not connect to the internet again and received a message that I needed to uncheck "Working Offline".  I did this and still no connection through the desktop in question, although my laptop is wirelessly connected.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the next step?

Thanks.123steve

1.  Yes, all computers run substantially faster without security programs; but I wouldn't advise doing it.  Norton has less impact on perfermance than other security software I know.

2.  I am concerned about your computer forcibly shutting itself off, especially with the message that your computer is at risk.  Is this what really happened; or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?  If I am correct, it sounds as though you already had a virus on your computer and that the virus is interfering with the proper performance of your antivirus programs, including installation.

3.  If it's not a virus afflicting your computer, then it sounds as though you have a corrupted installation and need to do the following:

a.  uninstall Norton

b.  run the Norton Removal Tool

c.  download and run the free CCleaner from www.ccleaner.com and use the registry tab to check the registry for errors and then let it fix them.  Do this until there are no more errors reported.

d.  reinstall Norton.  It will probably ask to be rebooted.  Do so.

e.  connect yourself wired to the internet and while wired see if you can set up the wireless connection.

f.  disconnect the wired connection and see if you can maintain the wireless connection.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Hi Mij,  I followed your direction and have established connection to the Internet again.  I've noticed that most programs or applications open with a reasonable speed.  It is IE and Firefox that take forever to both load and shut down.  The desktop in question has always been rather slow but I don't recall it taking so long for the browsers to open and close before until all of this came about.  Thanks for getting me back online.  If you have any further suggestions, I'd be glad to try them.

123steve

Kudos0

123stevewilson wrote:

Hi Mij,  I followed your direction and have established connection to the Internet again.  I've noticed that most programs or applications open with a reasonable speed.  It is IE and Firefox that take forever to both load and shut down.  The desktop in question has always been rather slow but I don't recall it taking so long for the browsers to open and close before until all of this came about.  Thanks for getting me back online.  If you have any further suggestions, I'd be glad to try them.

123steve

Steve, that's great.

Now I need some specific information about your system to guesstimate what kind of loading speeds you should have.

I already know you use XP, but tell me

1.  What service pack number you are using

2.  What kind of chip you have (Pentium, Centrino, Dual, etc)

3.  Computer speed

All of this you can learn by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting properties.

4.  Then I want to know what version of Internet Explorer and Firefox.  You can get this from the About of each browser.

5.  Next, reboot your computer and time it from log-on to when the last icon appears in the notification tray.  Do not try to launch any application at all until that happens.  (Make sure you see what icons appear before you reboot -- and also turn off the "hide inactive icons" and "combine icons" options in the toolbar properties section.)

6.  Once you are confident that all the icons are in place, launch IE and see how it takes for all toobars to appear.  Do not try to access the internet while it's getting its pieces in place -- this will actually slow it down.

7.  Now enter a site or search and find out how responsive it really is ... or isn't.

8.  Shut IE down, wait about 10 seconds and try the whole thing over again.

9.  Now launch Firefox and follow the same suggestions.  It will probably take longer to load than IE, but should be a bit faster for connecting and getting to sites once it is loaded.

10.  And I should have asked this earlier, but I'm too tired to renumber.  What kind of internet connection do you have (dialup, cable, etc) and are you using wired or wireless.  If wireless, what is you bit-rate.  You should be able to learn this by putting your mouse icon over the wireless icon (but some computers won't display).

Okay, let me know all this and I will tell you if your speeds are reasonable and if there is anything that might speed things up.

Kudos0

HI Mij,

Here's the info you asked for:  Service Pack 3, Celeron(R) 2.40 GHz, Internet Explorer 6.0 and Firefox 3.5.8

I did two start ups and they were each about 3 minutes.

When I opened IE right after rebooting it took 2 min. and 40 secs to completely open.  I closed it and tried again and it took 25 secs.  To get to a site on IE took 10 secs.

I then opend Firefox and it opened in 50 secs.  I shut down and rebooted and opend Firefox again and it took 2 min. and 50 secs to open.  I closed and opened it again and it took 1 minute.  To get to sites on Firefox took about 10 secs.

Hope this helps.  Clearly launching the Browsers right after start up takes longer and I've been doing a lot of this lately.  Maybe because of this and comparison with my laptop, I forgot was was "normal" for the Desktop.  I'd be interested  to here what your take is.

Steve

Kudos0

123stevewilson wrote:

HI Mij,

Here's the info you asked for:  Service Pack 3, Celeron(R) 2.40 GHz, Internet Explorer 6.0 and Firefox 3.5.8

I did two start ups and they were each about 3 minutes.

When I opened IE right after rebooting it took 2 min. and 40 secs to completely open.  I closed it and tried again and it took 25 secs.  To get to a site on IE took 10 secs.

I then opend Firefox and it opened in 50 secs.  I shut down and rebooted and opend Firefox again and it took 2 min. and 50 secs to open.  I closed and opened it again and it took 1 minute.  To get to sites on Firefox took about 10 secs.

Hope this helps.  Clearly launching the Browsers right after start up takes longer and I've been doing a lot of this lately.  Maybe because of this and comparison with my laptop, I forgot was was "normal" for the Desktop.  I'd be interested  to here what your take is.

Steve

On my wife's Pentium M 2Ghz laptop, XP3, she takes about the same length of time to get from log on to full services desktop (which irritates her no end).  But when I say "full services", I mean full services.  At that point both Firefox 3.6 and IE 8 will reach full serviceability within 30 seconds or less.  However, notice the versions: Firefox 3.6 is more nimble than FF3.5 and IE8 is both more responsive and more reliable than IE6 (which does not play well with Norton, by the way).

My first suggestion, is get updated to IE8 and FF3.6  asap.  We can some time measurements once you do that.

Your connect times are slow for wired cable or DSL but fairly close (a smidgen slow) for wireless.  Wireless more than halves connect time.  The best you can expect (unless you have an N-router and N-card) is 54 mps; and that only if you are getting a 100% connection.  it's better than dialup by far, but not a true substitute for a wired connection. 

However, my daughter's Pentium 4 machine at 3 Ghz has only a wireless connection at full speed.  Her first FF takes 5 seconds to full usability and 3 seconds for website loading.  Her first IE8 takes 4 seconds to full usability and 3 seconds for website loading.  Her computer is secured with 360, version 4.  But ... I think she has the edge because she had 10% of the software I have on my system and no really big guns (I have the full Adobe pantheon on my system and they're all alert to be used).  Moreover, she had 3 GB of RAM to my 2GB and ... you know maybe I can get her to swap her desktop for my supposedly better laptop -- and there's the rub.  Everything else being equal, laptops are just slower.  That has always been my observation, and I have not been alone in that.

In summary:  Yes, I think your computer is slower, but not substantially.  You will need to analyze your resource usage.  How many apps are loaded in memory waiting to be used, but not in use.  Not only do they waste computation time, but moving them out of RAM into swap memory takes time.  It's like having a huge dining room table sitting in the middle of a small dining room waiting for the day there are enough people to fill it.  A few apps aren't a problem; but too many can be a nuisance, especially if they are all checking constantly to see if they have updates.  Yes, Norton can be slowing it down.  All security programs do.  But your number don't indicate that there is anything wrong with Norton itself.  You can temporarily turn off your firewall and see what speed changes that produces.  I'd be interested.

Can you check on your connection speed?  That would be the biggest bottleneck.

Kudos0

Hi Mij,  Thanks so much for your complete and detailed comments.  At the end you say you'd like to know the connection

speed.  Is that something other than what I already checked on?  Are you talking about the speed after turning off the Firewall?

steve

Kudos0

123stevewilson wrote:

Hi Mij,  Thanks so much for your complete and detailed comments.  At the end you say you'd like to know the connection

speed.  Is that something other than what I already checked on?  Are you talking about the speed after turning off the Firewall?

steve

Most computers have some icon in the Systray that when you place the mouse pointer above it shows you the Wireless Connection speed (see first image).  Likewise for wired (see second image).

Kudos0

Mij,  The wireless oaptop connection is 54.0 Mbps and the Desktop connection is 100 Mbps.

steve

Kudos0

123stevewilson wrote:

Mij,  The wireless oaptop connection is 54.0 Mbps and the Desktop connection is 100 Mbps.

steve

That's excellent!  Your connection speed is probably max for your equipment.

I am concerned a wee bit about the slowness of moving to a new page.  I really would update both my browsers.  FF to FF3.6 and IE6 definitely to IE8.  IE8 will give you various options about previewing a page before you go to it -- my own advice is to say, no, you don't need that type of service (unless, of course, you feel you do).  Any supervisory activity slows things down -- maybe just a bit, but nonetheless, it does make things slower.

Tell me your page switching speed after you do the updates and we can discuss possibilities further.

Good luck

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.