• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Can't run full scan with 2009 Norton Internet Security

I have the option to run the full scan, but it only scans 5000 or so records then ends.

We just installed Norton on this system and are aware of some pretty serious infections that we need to resolve.  In the middle of trying to fix things, we developed the fun logon-logoff loop...but were able to resolve that situation, install Norton and get the updates.

Please help!

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Can't run full scan with 2009 Norton Internet Security

It might be a good idea to run Malwarebytes free version from here:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

See if any further infections can be removed.  Install MBAM, up date it, and run with log.  

Download Hijackthis from here http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis

Install, update, run with log.  Copy and past log file here for those who can read them to see what else is up.

What other antivirus or anti malware have you got, or did you have on your system prior  to Norton?

Also what operating system are you running, and service packs.  Were you able to update Norton to the latest version.  You can check under Help and Support, about.

That will get a start.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

I was actually able to get the scan to run.  Malwarebytes got some of it, then SuperAntiSpyware took care of the rest.  Now I just have to get Mozilla to quit crashing...but that is an unrelated issue!  :) 

Thanks!  (I did get the answer from this forum by digging around.)

Kudos1 Stats

Try Uninstalling Firefox, (if that is what you are meaning) and  download 3.x and install Firefox, see if that fixes the crash problem

Quads 

Message Edited by Quads on 04-26-2009 04:53 PM
Kudos0

I give up!  I'm typing my response somewhere else so I can copy and paste it.  It's crashed at least six times while responding to this thread. 

The first thing is, thank you for taking time to make a suggestion about our other issues!  I appreciate it!

1.  Firefox shuts down at random with no error message.  We're completely uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox.  Also updated Flash just in case.  I thought it was fixed when I was working in safe-mode, but once I went into the computer in the normal mode, it's still shutting down.  I don't use IE so I don't know if it's doing the same thing.  (Although my husband uses IE to watch netflix online--it doesn't work with Firefox...I'm guessing this is how the computer got so infected in the first place!) 

2.  Referenced memory issues requiring shut-down of the application.  Ran a registry scan and repair.  Hopefully this does the trick, it hasn't happened since.  I wonder if everything got out of synch with all of the repairs yesterday.

3.  dumprep.exe is using up 70% of my CPU.  I read up on and and found the suggestion to disable error reporting for the time-being.  We'll see how that works.

Thanks.  I'll keep researching, but any additional suggestions welcome!!
-Shannon

Kudos0

ps.  IE freezes up just as frequently.
Kudos0

Please try the Hijackthis log.  The link is in my earlier post.  It might give us a bit more to work with.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

If you want to check crash info in Firefox, type in the address bar "about:crashes  Firefox will provide a list of info on each crash that you submitted data to them.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.