• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Can't Uninstall Norton 360! 2017

ok so I see that Norton took up more drive and ram space than necessary and the laptop is running the lowest FPS while it is on and barely better with it completely disabled while playing Steam client games, I found something that fits the bill for gamers to have the right protection for a comparable price. Still have Norton on others but I need it off of my machine, go uninstall it and a day and a half later... still uninstalling. ok look online and find the Necro'd post from late 2011 for the Norton remove and reinstall tool, sweet. day 2... that is still uninstalling... everything else does what I need done or terminate at a drop of a hat but not these. any advice to remove this PC leech from my system? I cannot stand getting killed in competitive because of poor FPS

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Can't Uninstall Norton 360! 2017

Hello @krammer01 Kill all the running Norton processes in Task Manager then reboot your system in safe mode. Run the removal tool from there.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/uninstall-removal-tool-not-working

If it ain't broken...don't fix it!!
Kudos0

You will not be able to kill Norton processes from Task Manager until you disable Norton Product Tamper Protection. Might just as well boot to Safe Mode. 

Did you have any other security program on the computer before you installed 360? Did you fully remove that with the removal utility for that software? If not it could explain the issues you are seeing.

Did you try running Norton in Silent Mode? That is generally recommended for gamers.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Hello

When I game, I have Quiet Mode turned on and list the Steam .exe and the game's exe. When you do that, all Norton activities stop while you are playing. If there is malware on the server, it will still block it.

I do hope that you installed Norton on a clean computer and have the latest version. When I play, I can't tell that Norton is running with Norton Security with Backup. I even play with the Forum opened up. I just use another tab. Still on Win 7. But I never would use Steam. Btw, Steam could be causing the lag as well as any malware that you might have running.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.9.1.12 I E 11
Kudos0

To explain it just keeps saying uninstalling package and hanging right there for hours on end for both normal uninstall method and the tool. Yes I tried safe mode same result. Quiet mode really didn't remove the strain especially when this PC isn't exactly wired to be a pure gaming machine. Also Norton tried on uninstalling Steam multiple times calling it malware
Kudos0

Hello

Steam has been known as a source of malware. My machine is a gaming one and I'm hard wired also which is better for gaming. Try  picking servers with the lowest ping to you. If possible, try playing thru the game rather than using Steam..

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.9.1.12 I E 11
Kudos0

Deleted by me

Kudos0

To answer floplot, it bricks me while doing storymodes as well, could be disconnected from internet and only see speed boosts when I do off-chance manage to crash and close Norton before it automatically resumes and bugs the living hell out of me. As for others, my friend may have a solution but it risks the drive and the motherboard and its a homebrewed program, he said may cripple the program itself enough to uninstall it by removing primary protocols from the code, worst case, it deletes the Os and might brick the board and drive. Should I give it a go? I honestly don't care for TOS because I don't want it anymore.
Kudos0

Hello,

Did you happen to make sure you got the newest removal tool that they had, and that it wasn't an old one?  There is a program I use to delete programs with that is free, Revo uninstaller.  I can't tell you if it will work or not, but it does a great job of uninstalling things, better than what windows does, and it even has a force uninstall feature.  I have not used that one, so I can't comment on it.  I don't know if it will help, but just putting it out there.  I hope you find a suitable answer soon.

Kudos0

krammer01

As for others, my friend may have a solution but it risks the drive and the motherboard and its a homebrewed program, he said may cripple the program itself enough to uninstall it by removing primary protocols from the code, worst case, it deletes the Os and might brick the board and drive. Should I give it a go? 

That is certainly not a risk I would be ready to take. I would rather reinstall Windows before trying something like that. 

You did not answer my question above about having another security program installed? If you did have something else before installing 360 it could be causing your issues with running games, and the uninstall of 360 if you had not fully removed it.

If you are still having trouble uninstalling Norton, try contacting Norton Support and ask them to remove it for you. They can manually go in and remove all traces from registry etc.    www.norton.com/contactcs

Kudos0

Sorry Peterweb, missed covering that but no. Norton is the only thing because it came preinstalled on the machine when purchased and haven't used anything else until wanting to now but the program recommends uninstalling previous antiviral software before installing it.
Kudos0

@rammer01 If you are on Windows 10 refresh your PC and have it save your files. That should do the trick. Remove the preinstalled Norton rather than install. Then decide on what avenue you'd like to take for AV protection at that point. Here are some options for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Kudos0

Just be aware that the reset will keep your files, but will remove any apps you installed since Windows was first installed. Be sure you have your installers handy.