• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

ccsvchst.exe suddently starting using 100% CPU when I unpluged my LAN cable

Today I was fiddling with hooking up a LAN cable to my laptop (which has wireless).  I was plugging and unplugging that without issue, that is until I did an unplug (while something was downloading) and noticed my machine was very unresponsive.  I managed to get the Task Manager open and saw ccvsthst.exe using 99% of the CPU.

Since svchstsvc.exe is protected I couldn't kill it, but as it was using all the CPU I couldn't do anything else either.  I finally decided to press the power button on my laptop and Windows (slowly) started to shut down.  It shut down cleanly as ccsvchst.exe exited without issue.

I'm not sure what caused this, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it do the same thing relatively recently.  It doesn't happen all that often though.  Any ideas here?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: ccsvchst.exe suddently starting using 100% CPU when I unpluged my LAN cable

Today I was fiddling with hooking up a LAN cable to my laptop (which has wireless).  I was plugging and unplugging that without issue, that is until I did an unplug (while something was downloading) and noticed my machine was very unresponsive.  I managed to get the Task Manager open and saw ccvsthst.exe using 99% of the CPU.

Since svchstsvc.exe is protected I couldn't kill it, but as it was using all the CPU I couldn't do anything else either.  I finally decided to press the power button on my laptop and Windows (slowly) started to shut down.  It shut down cleanly as ccsvchst.exe exited without issue.

I'm not sure what caused this, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it do the same thing relatively recently.  It doesn't happen all that often though.  Any ideas here?

Kudos0

Re: ccsvchst.exe suddently starting using 100% CPU when I unpluged my LAN cable

Hi! Morac,

Without having your OS, installed Service Pack level (Win7 does not currently have a service pack), and Norton product name and version;  I can only surmise that your Norton product received updates and was processing them.

Please note that when NIS/NAV recieves a defintion file update it will perform a quick scan on your system automatically to make sure that key areas of your computer are clean.  Depending on the number of files to be scanned and the amount of file fragmentation this process can take some time to complete.

I would recommend letting the process run to completion.  :)

Tech83 :)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.