• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

CheckIt 7.1.4.28

I am running Windows XP SP 3.  When I installed the CheckIt Diagnostics program, from the Norton SystemWorks 12.0 CD and then run the Norton System Doctor WinDoctor 22.0.0.52 program, it shows six invalid Icons.  All six are in the C:\Program\Smith Micro\CheckIt folder and end with .PIF.  When I run the "Repair All" option, to clear the problem Icons, the program returns a note that it fixed 0 of 6 problems.  The only way I can get the red light cleared, from the WinDoctor Sensor, is to uninstall the CheckIt program.

Have I missed a step in the installation process?  I don't remember seeing any icons for the CheckIt program.  Is there a way to keep the CheckIt program installed, and not get that "Problems Found" red light?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: CheckIt 7.1.4.28

I am running Windows XP SP 3.  When I installed the CheckIt Diagnostics program, from the Norton SystemWorks 12.0 CD and then run the Norton System Doctor WinDoctor 22.0.0.52 program, it shows six invalid Icons.  All six are in the C:\Program\Smith Micro\CheckIt folder and end with .PIF.  When I run the "Repair All" option, to clear the problem Icons, the program returns a note that it fixed 0 of 6 problems.  The only way I can get the red light cleared, from the WinDoctor Sensor, is to uninstall the CheckIt program.

Have I missed a step in the installation process?  I don't remember seeing any icons for the CheckIt program.  Is there a way to keep the CheckIt program installed, and not get that "Problems Found" red light?

Kudos0

I don't have NSW, so I can't verify this... but your path C:\Program\Smith Micro\CheckIt looks funky.

Are you saying NSW's CheckIt feature has found bad icons in its own program and it can't remove them? 

Bad icons sound to me like they're the cause of a bad installation. Have you tried uninstalling all of NSW, perhaps using the "Norton Removal Tool", restarting, then reinstalling again? 

--TD "The brain is useless. We must find another brain." --Dr. Henry Frankenstein (1932)
Kudos0

TylerDurden,  Thanks for the reply and information.  When I install the CheckIt Diagnostic program, from the original Norton SystemWorks Basic Edition CD, it creates the subfolder C:\Program\Smith Micro CheckIt.  It also creates an Uninstall CheckIt Diagnostic Program.  The CheckIt program runs fine, as far as I can tell, and there aren't any problems with it.  When I start the SystemWorks Basic Monitor System Performance program and run the WinDoctor sensor, that is when WinDoctor shows a problem (Red Light) and lists the six invalid icons (moved or missing icons). It also shows an invalid ActiveX/com entry.  If I click on the CheckIt Uninstall program and then run the WinDoctor program again, the invalid icons and ActiveX/com messages are gone.

Is this just a case of WinDoctor not knowing what CheckIt is doing?  I would hate to run the Norton Removal Tool and have it remove all my Norton products.  I think things are finally running smoothly. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.