• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Chrome 100% CPU

Ever since I upgraded to the latest version of NS 22.7.0.76, I have been noticing it will make my computer crawl when opening multiple sites from Chrome. I have attached a screenshot below. 

When can we expect a fix for this bug? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Chrome 100% CPU

This happens when visiting some specific sites. I don't think am allowed to post links to those sites here. I have already sent a PM about this issue along with links to Tony. 

Thanks

Kudos0

It happens when visiting these sites:

http://movies.ndtv.com/bollywood/shirish-kunders-kriti-removed-from-you-...

http://www.hindustantimes.com/bollywood/manoj-bajpayee-s-kriti-removed-f...

There are other some sites but I don't remember them. I contacted Tony but he never replied back. Chat support is useless too. They uninstalled and installed it again. Still the same issue cause it's a bug in Norton Security. I showed them by disabling Norton plugin and then enabling it again. Norton is the culprit here. 

Kudos0

Hi shellcoder,

I met similar issue using Chrome (47.0.2526.80 m; bit outdated) to visit the said 2 sites.  I too had relatively high CPU usage while using those 2 sites.

TESTS:

• CPU rate became OK when I closed those 2 sites
  • FF:

Personally, some HTML element (GG ads, e.g.) has caused CPU spike while LOADING the content on the sites.

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

Thanks for replying. Now, we will have to wait for them to fix that bug. 

Kudos0

Visiting news.yahoo.com and scrolling will spike CPU usage too. Here's another bug. Go to this site: https://www.yahoo.com/news/nepal-opens-probe-indian-police-couples-evere... then click 'View Comments'. Now the ads which are on the right will start moving to the left as you keep scrolling down. What was the quality assurance department doing before releasing this buggy version of Norton Security?

Kudos0

Have you tried uninstalling Adobe Flash Player and reinstalling it? Making sure it's up to date. Also try disabling hardware acceleration in Flash and Chrome. This may help.

Also if you read 20750065's comment he's saying its caused by web page content. I don't think he's blaming Norton.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.20.x
Kudos0

Like I said, if  you disable Norton extensions and visit those pages again the CPU usage won't be so high but if Norton extensions are enabled then CPU usage will very high. Flash has nothing to do with this bug cause security hole nightmare flash, was, is and will always be disabled on my machine.  

Kudos0

Firefox 47.0.1;

Firefox without Adblock Plus (notice how the CPU usage is higher);

Internet Explorer 11;

Chrome Version 51.0.2704.106 m (64-bit)  (No ad blocker);

Chrome 0.1% CPU with all Norton Extensions enabled in Chrome;

Have you tried reinstalling Chrome? I can't reproduce the high CPU usage and I've tried three browsers all using Norton extensions.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.20.x

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.