• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

A Conundrum ? W10 Upgrade - 2 - Ver 1909

Happy New Year !
I upgraded a W7 - 2 - W10. All good !

Running some tests; the Power Eraser coughed up x3 Registry Keys, at risk.
Taking a lead from the 'Data Tab', it indicates 'System32'.
Looking in 'System 32', the 'exe files' don't exist.
So, best way forward.
1. Let 'Power Eraser', 'Fix Now' ?
2. Manually, erase the 'Registry Entries' ?

There are a good few remnants left in W10.
Although the upgrade was free; software, no longer supported, is a passive issue.
GeekUninstallerFree, is user friendly. Where as RevoUninstallerFree, is to be used with
caution.

Replies

Kudos2 Stats

Re: A Conundrum ? W10 Upgrade - 2 - Ver 1909

ITMA:

...Running some tests; the Power Eraser coughed up x3 Registry Keys, at risk.
Taking a lead from the 'Data Tab', it indicates 'System32'.
Looking in 'System 32', the 'exe files' don't exist.
So, best way forward.
1. Let 'Power Eraser', 'Fix Now' ?
2. Manually, erase the 'Registry Entries' ?

Hi ITMA:

Your best way forward might be to do nothing, unless you're certain these registry entries are associated with a malware infection.  If you aren't sure let us know your Win 10 v1909 edition (e.g., Home vs Professional) and build number (see How-To Geek's How to Find Out Which Build and Version of Windows 10 You Have) and which three registry keys are of concern.

Norton Power Eraser (NPE) is a very aggressive scanner that is designed to be used as a rescue tool in emergency situations when your operating system becomes unstable or you believe you have deeply embedded malware that cannot be detected by a standard antivirus / anti-malware scan.  See the warning on the NPE home page at https://us.norton.com/support/tools/npe.html, which states "Because Norton Power Eraser is an aggressive virus removal tool, it may mark a legitimate program for removal. However, you can always undo the results of a scan."

There are several examples in this forum where the NPE flagged legitimate programs for removal, including important Windows system files and registry entries.  For example, see Larry_A's Ran NPE and Now Computer Won't Boot to Windows  as well as Calvin5's iqvw64e.sys Identified as a Threat that describes how many users with Dell computers reported that NPE removed the Intel Network Adapter Diagnostic Driver iqvw64e.sys and corrupted their Dell SupportAssist utility.  As SendOfJive noted <here> in Calvin5's thread:

"One thing to keep in mind is that NPE does not positively detect known malware - that is the job of your regular Norton Security product.  NPE instead looks for files that might warrant investigation if you suspect that you are infected and regular scans come up clean.  NPE will flag many legitimate files, so never assume that what NPE finds is truly malicious."

If you suspect you have a malware infection that was missed by Norton most users in this forum recommend you start with a second-opinion scan with Malwarebytes Free (for Win 7 and higher go to https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/; for Win XP/Vista go to https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_legacy).
-----------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v1903 build 18362.476 * Firefox ESR v68.4.0

Kudos0

Hi Imacri.
A rather convoluted reply, to a simple query.
I let Power Eraser ¦ Fix Now make the decision.
PE created a Restore Point & Deleted the x3 "BAD" Registry entries,
I did monitor the Registry, before & after the 'delete'; to see if I lost all the assets in the Registry folder.
No, I only lost the x3 contentious entries. Leaving the x2 remaining in tact.
So now, the Registry and Win32 are in equilibrium.
The Registry items were 'Startup Items', and as it panned out, a complete and utter waste of time being in that location.

If you upgrade to W10, using the 'keep my stuff' option. The anomalies carry over to the new OS.

Kudos0

ITMA:

PE created a Restore Point [...]

Hi,
Curious, did you look to see whether Restore Point was in fact created.
Last few time, for me.  Power Eraser (with box checked) did not in fact create Restore Point. 

Kudos0

Hi bjm.

Always run with a 2nd string.
Copied the Registry Entry, route & branch to the 'text pad', and the 'assets', a 'snip' to '.png'.
Keep all the info in the eye line. Tried to cover all the bases.
Not too happy with W10. It seems to be driven by MS, at their end. Certainly, not me, at my end.
It appears that stuff that's not supported, leaves a 'shed load' of remnants behind.
p.s I do have x2 other W10 machines to 'crib' off. Makes it a little easier.
The best W10 machine I possess, I had reblown from W7, brand new install, W10 Pro. No problems !

Kudos0

ITMA:

Hi bjm.

Always run with a 2nd string.

Curious, did you look to see whether Restore Point was in fact created.  

Kudos0

bjm.
You're right ! The 'restore point' wasn't created.
Created one myself. Just to see if the facility works.
Yes it does !

Kudos0

ITMA:

bjm.
You're right ! The 'restore point' wasn't created.

Thanks!