• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Core Android app old issue resurfaced in ver. 2.00

I've waited and watched to see whether anything updated to correct the old issue where, devices that haven't been on the Core network for almost a year have AGAIN, reappeared. There isn't a way to remove them as that WAS corrected before version 2.00 which broke it once again. My security score isn't my issue, its having old customer devices that have been off site and haven't returned on "shared devices" listing and cannot be removed. Understanding Norton has all but abandoned Core its still not customer friendly to add things "under the hood" and not quality check it before breaking things after its released. After all this time, it appears we are still being used for testing. Anything in the works to correct this?

Whatever "software solution" will be tailored up to replace the current Norton Core subscription I sure hope its tested and done so very thoroughly before being offered. A 14 year old using Python can do better than what we have had to deal with. Just my dime.

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Core Android app old issue resurfaced in ver. 2.00

First let's start with the issue of being able to remove those devices in the list. I believe that issue was resolved. Are you saying you can not edit the list and remove the ones you no longer want to see? Is this on Android or iOS?

Second I have to defend our team here a bit, we do quality check everything we do, in fact not only do we test but we use 3rd party testers that have an independent lab so we don't have to rely on our infield valuable customers.

As for the software solution, I can't comment on exactly what we are doing, however to imply we don't test or wont test is not a fair statement and not accurate. And finally, a 14 YO using Python can not do better than what we have done. While we know a first run product that includes a completely brand new piece of hardware and software is not easy, we feel as if the job we have done over the past year has been pretty good and doesn't deserve such a comment.

Matt Boucher
VP of Engineering

Norton Core / Norton Cloud Services
Norton Backup / Norton Family
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
-----------------------------------------------------
Office: 781-530-2368
Mobile: 603-566-5848
Email: matt_boucher@symantec.com

Kudos0

Thanks for the candor as always Matt. To answer your initial question, yes indeed. I run a repair business and have seen just about every device that has ever connected to Core in recent months re-populate. At one point, I reset Core WITHOUT allowing previous data to be reused, removed CORE from my account. That list repopulated as soon as version 2.00 was installed. There is no way to remove these devices that I have found. I use the Android app and yes! With all due respect, my reference to the poor release quality stands for itself over the course of time I have had Core. I believe others have stated as much in many other posts since initial release. Many things have resurfaced or have just been totally ignored.

This screenshot is where ALL the "previously on your network" devices should be listed. The ones that are there are legit, even still we cannot left swipe and remove them yet again.

This screenshot IS where all the garbage has repopulated, and again, we cannot left swipe and remove the entries. SHARED is where I have all the devices in the house and the devices I work on connect. We also cannot tap the device and get the information about the last time connected was being viewed. I do not use the Guest Network or have any parental controls set.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos1 Stats

Matt,

Your comment "As for the software solution, I can't comment on exactly what we are doing" is unacceptable.

Those of us loyal Norton customers (in my case since the 1980s and Peter Norton Utilities) who went through the unmitigated disaster of the Core launch and subsequent painful patching process deserve to know what, if any, path forward we have. 

In reality we were Beta testers for an unfinished (and now discontinued) product - and to say "in fact not only do we test but we use 3rd party testers that have an independent lab so we don't have to rely on our infield valuable customers." is ridiculous and insulting to those of us who experienced the Core and app issues.

Please tell us what we can expect.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay (Xerox PARC)
Kudos0

Matt,

As "VP of Engineering
Norton Core / Norton Cloud Services
Norton Backup / Norton Family
Symantec Corporation"

You should be able to answer this question: If my Core fails this afternoon (it is, after all, just a piece of hardware) what is Norton's suggestion as a replacement? 

The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay (Xerox PARC)
Kudos0

Soul.  If you select the device on your previously on network devices and scroll all the way down on device details do you a remove from device button.  I don't recall being able to swipe left to remove devices.  I use the IOS version of the app.  In IOS I don't see the issue of reappearing deleted devices either.

Kudos0

Hello

I had an odd device that appeared  on my list.  It said Computer-Verizon and Manufacturer as Verizon. Verizon doesn't make computers. They are an ISP. I turned off Device Management and I  did find that Remove Device From Core. I was surprised to find that unknown computer is gone. I don't know yet if it will come back or not.

I didn't realize we were on 2.00 with Android. I do wish that there would be an agreement between Norton Safe Web and Blue Coat. Norton says it's Safe, but Core does not and I end up with 10 points added to my score.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

garlen,

You should first contact one of our support agents either via phone or chat. They might be able to root cause the issue and resolve it, however if it was a hardware issue there would be a couple of options available. 

If it was still under warranty, you could get a replacement sent to you, again talking with our support agent they would be able to work this with you. If not under warranty as with any other consumer electronics hardware that has been discontinued you could decide which other router solution fit your needs. You could also ask the support agent to stop your subscription. If you wanted to keep your Norton Security subscription for your PC/Mac or mobile devices you could move to one of our security software solutions.

Kudos0

MannyT. Answering your question, YES!! On the "previously on network" list that is possible. The first original solution was we could swipe left and click the red X and remove the device from that listing. The non-removal issue again reappeared and was corrected in another app / firmware release where the present select a device from the list and scroll down we can remove the device. That list isn't where my issue lies.  Per my original post. I am saying that devices which are obviously being stored in the cloud are repopulating on my "Shared" setup. All devices I work on, and including normal devices used in the home are located there. That list has repopulated devices I had removed BEFORE version 2.00 of the Android app was released. They are now back. Devices not seen in almost a year. The only way to clear this is remove Core from my account and redo it from scratch. Knowing this, its unacceptable. Many times that has been the ONLY solution for many of the issues we have seen over the course of Core. Forgive me if I sound brash. I'm only looking for answers to why and what can be done to keep it from happening yet a third time. Hardware will only work as good as the drivers / firmware / software that are developed for it. Given the things we have endured with Core since its release, I'm also concerned about the next "vison" for Core and how messy that may or may not be. Right now, one the basic of basics cannot be done on Core.

Cheers

Kudos1 Stats

SoulAsylum,

Yes you have it right, there is an issue with the "shared" list and it will be fixed. It's not honoring the "removed device" properly as well as the "aged out" devices. Meaning those that have not been seen for a while.

Kudos0

Thanks a million as always Matt!!

Cheers

Kudos0

Just a small update: The Android app now shows at least one device as being "actively on my network" having been off the network for 2 days. Had to power cycle Core before it would report the correct status of said device. No changes with the previously reported bugs.

Cheers

Kudos0

Android app 2.01 was released overnight. It appears its now playing nice with the People and Devices lists both showing the correct data. Entries from months ago have been removed as they should have been. Thanks out to the Core team for the release and fix.

Cheers

Kudos1 Stats

You are welcome :)