• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Core firmware version 180216_229 where's the announcement?

My Core says it has firmware version 180216_229 since at least yesterday. Where's the announcement? What's in it? 

The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay (Xerox PARC)
Labels: Firmware

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Core firmware version 180216_229 where's the announcement?

garlen as always release notes will be posted here: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-core-firmware-update-release-notes

Its up to the program admin to update the thread on their schedule. Hopefully first thing Monday.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.168 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270
Kudos0

Release notes should come before, not after, a new release so if issues suddenly start appearing we have some idea what might be causing them.

Kudos0

garlen Your complaint is to the wrong person my friend. No one other than Admins can access and post releases and release notes.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.168 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270
Kudos1 Stats

I don't have any Admin contacts, so I'm hoping they read this Forum.

No Core firmware or or Core phone application updates should happen without prior (or, at least, concurrent) notice. 

Kudos0

Norton often waits a few days before posting about updates. They do this as part of the phased release of any new software, and in this case firmware. They release the new version until a certain percentage of the users have the new version, then they pause the release until their telemetry shows that there is no issue with it. If all goes well, the release is activated again and then Norton will make the announcement.

If there is a significant problem during this phase of the release, they will keep the update on hold until problems can be found and fixed. 

If the announcement is made too soon and there is a significant delay in getting the fix, everyone is looking for a release that is not available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Peterweb,

Interesting, but backwards, particularly in a forced "push" deployment model. Even Microsoft lists the content of their patches when they're issued and some of them do have serious problems.

Without warning some (all?) of us have v. 229 without any information.

If Norton/Symantec let us know when (or before) there's an update, then we would have an idea of what might be causing new problems or providing new/unexplained or undocumented features. Otherwise, we may have issues, but have no idea what's causing them.

Another option (if you Admins are reading this) is if Norton/Symantec is going to play this game, then we should have the option of installing updates or waiting until they're documented and stable.

Chicken or the egg...

Kudos0

Hello

The issue this time, I think, is because the new Firmware was released on a Friday and the Core Admin is off on the weekend. As SoulAsylum has mentioned, it will probably be issued within the next couple of days. The Admin isn't around on the weekend to have a look at this Board.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

All: Release notes for version 229 are posted here: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7834631#comment-7834631

Cheers

Kudos0

Hello Gayathri

Thanks for responding to me.

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

I've been trying to get an answer about this latest update to find out if the KRACK exploit was addressed in this patch, but the answer is so hard to find and it should be openly advertised as being fixed if at all. Any ideas?
Kudos0

Hello Machine1k

Please see this thread in the Mobile section of the Forum

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7873411

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.