Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
CORE: Guardian or Trojan Horse
Its scary that the very thing you buy to protect you turns out to be something that protects you from everyone else but itself.
I have emailed Symantec to understand what the true privacy risks are. No response yet, so maybe some nudging here will help motivate them. Until they are clear about there policy, we should be very afraid. Below are the questions I sent to Symantec's privacy team:
- Does “Your Data” include web search and internet site visit history? (bullet point 3 implies this)
- Does “Your Data” include file download history?
** I ask because there is a difference between on-the-fly security assessment, vs. history retention.
- Please describe with specificity what data you retain that is non-anonymized.
- Do you scan or analyze email and/or contacts? If so, do you retain any history on email or other personal communications?
HOW WE MAY USE YOUR DATA
- You state that you will not sell my or my child’s data for marketing purposes. Will you provide it “for free” for marketing purposes? Will you sell it for purposes other than marketing?
- Do you share any non-anonymized data with third parties? If so, what?
- Do you use any non-anonymized data for purposes other than to provide the CORE services to me?
- What does this mean: “Understanding frequency of product email communications to optimize user experience”?
HOW WE MAY USE YOUR DATA: CATCH-ALL
- You state that you may use my data to: “Provid[e] us with business and marketing information”. What does this mean? Is this solely with respect to my potential purchase of other Symantec services? Or does it extend further than this?
- You indicate that you will share “information on your feature usage services (“Norton Core Telemetry”)” with Google. Can you please clarify, with specificity, what “information on your feature usage services” means? Is it anonymized?