• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Could Norton Online Family be blocked by NIS 2012?

When logging into Norton Online Family, I don't see any activity (no logins, no activity at all) being tracked anymore.  I used to see it, but it stopped working about 2 weeks ago.  Right around the same time I upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2012.  I do see "data blocked" items in Norton Internet Security for "tampmon.exe" whatever that is.

Can anyone tell me if I need to set something in Norton Internet Security to allow internet traffic to be tracked for my child?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Could Norton Online Family be blocked by NIS 2012?

When logging into Norton Online Family, I don't see any activity (no logins, no activity at all) being tracked anymore.  I used to see it, but it stopped working about 2 weeks ago.  Right around the same time I upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2012.  I do see "data blocked" items in Norton Internet Security for "tampmon.exe" whatever that is.

Can anyone tell me if I need to set something in Norton Internet Security to allow internet traffic to be tracked for my child?

Kudos0

Hi stumpy,

NIS 2012 is compatible with Norton Online Family and shouldn't block the program.  Please make sure Norton Safety Minder is active on the children’s PCs(the Norton Safety Minder icon in the system tray is enabled and without a red X on it).  If you are not sure, you can reinstall Norton Safety Minder on the PC.  You can download the latest version by clicking on the “Download Norton Safety Minder” link which locates in the lower right hand corner of the NOF main page https://onlinefamily.norton.com/familysafety/login​Start.fs.   

Also, please give non-administrative rights (limited or restricted) to your child’s  user account and keep the password for your Norton Online Family account away from the child.  Otherwise,  the child would have the ability to tamper the program.   Please also make sure the child doesn’t log onto the PC using a account that is not being monitored.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

This just happened to me as well.  Suddenly, Norton Online Family is nowhere to be found on the computer.  I tried to reinstall it, and nothing happened after I pressed "run" (the screen went away, but there was no indication of installation).  When I clicked to check for updates, I was told there is no Norton software on my computer.

Kudos0

Hi michmarg,

Do you see any alerts indicating the Norton Safety Minder has been uninstalled or disabled after you log onto your Norton Online Family account, or if you have received any email notifications?

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

No. The program disappeared spontanaeously.  My child does not have any administrative rights on this computer, and no access to my password, so I'm not sure how it could have happened.

It's the second time this has happened.  The first time, I chatted with a help representative, who reinstated the program (but I had to create a new profile, so I think it was just installing the program from scratch).

Kudos0

Hi michmarg,

Did  you use the same email address as the one you used when you created  your Norton Online Family for the first time?  When you reinstalled the program and used the same email, you shouldn't need to reset the house rules and re-create profiles for children.

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi Katie,

I used the same email throughout.  

The person I chatted with did not seem to really know the system (at first he told me that my problem was due to the fact that NOF expires after 7 days because he misread the comparison chart describing the free version vs the Premier Version).

Thanks!

Kudos0

michmarg,

Besides NIS 2012, do you have any other security product(s) on the PC?

If you use Windows Vista or 7, please make sure the Parental Controls option under Control Panel is Disabled on the PC. Click on Start Button/Control Panel/Parental Control. If you have enabled the Parental Control for your child's User Account. Please Disable it.  

If you have multiple parental control programs enabled on the PC, it might interfere with the performance of Norton Online Family.

Thanks,

Katie 

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi Katie,

We are running Avira antivirus on the computer (no longer NIS, actually).  Our computer is running XP.

Thanks!

Kudos0

michmarg,

Norton Safety Minder is compatible with NIS 2012.  It could be a compatibility issue with Avira, so please keep NIS 2012 on the PC and uninstall Avira for see if it helps.   For more information, please check out the link below.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Online-Family/NSM-doesn-t-block-websites/m-p/523690/highlight/true#M8175

Thanks,

Katie

Thanks Katie

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.