• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Dennis Technology Labs has Norton edging out Kaspersky for top protection in 4th qtr 2012

It was just behind Kaspersky in 3rd qtr 2012 (both rated AAA) but passed Kaspersky for sole AAA rating for 4th quarter. http://www.dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/s/a-m/2012/

2012 4th QTR:

TOTAL ACCURACY RATINGS Product Total Accuracy Rating Percentage Award

Norton Internet Security 2013 388.5 97% AAA

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 368 92% AA

ESET Smart Security 5 359.5 90% AA

BitDefender Internet Security 2013 348.9 87% A

Trend Micro Internet Security 2013 340.1 85% A

AVG Internet Security 2013 335.5 84% B

McAfee Internet Security 2013 305.5 76% C

Microsoft Security Essentials 30 8% -

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Dennis Technology Labs has Norton edging out Kaspersky for top protection in 4th qtr 2012

9:

> It was just behind Kaspersky in 3rd qtr 2012 (both rated AAA)

>  but passed Kaspersky for sole AAA rating for 4th quarter.

That means very little.  Another press announcement by yet another "Lab" that reviews anti-virus products.

The Dennis Technology Labs report is dated 12/31/2012.  Not sure why it's being touted now in February 2013.

See yet another review in the recent thread in this forum titled "Norton Internet Security review by Privacy PC".

In their review, they rate NIS at _number 6_ among "Internet Security Suites," behind:

1. Bitdefender

2. F-Secure

3. Kaspersky

4. ESET

5. Bullgard

6. NIS

<http://privacy-pc.com/internet-security-suites-software-review>

Which of these "reviews" is correct?

For various values of "correct."

It seems to me that many of the "Labs" don't have the resources, the technical expertise, or the experience (or all of them) to do a good job reviewing these kinds of complicated products.

Reviewers who are operating on a shoestring budget have the potential to be "influenced" by big name A-V product developers with lots of money,  e.g., advertising budgets or whatever.

The only review site that I have much confidence in is A-V Comparatives.

<http://www.av-comparatives.org/>

Symantec continues to refuse to allow A-V Comparatives to review them.

Something is really wrong with that.

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Dennis Technology Labs has Norton edging out Kaspersky for top protection in 4th qtr 2012

Hi,

You said

"

The only review site that I have much confidence in is A-V Comparatives.

<http://www.av-comparatives.org/>

Symantec continues to refuse to allow A-V Comparatives to review them.

Something is really wrong with that."

I would have to see and understand the parameters of their testing before I make a statement like "Something is really wrong with that" The other part of that would be what the testing company expected in return for performing their 'service'. My other concern is your dependence on a single testing firm. Having only one source of information does not allow balance. It's a lot like one hand clapping - lots of wind but no noise.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos1 Stats

The disagreement that Symantec has with the methodology used by AV-Comparatives in one of its tests has been well documented.  Some other organizations have also voiced the same concerns about the test.

Kudos1 Stats

A more accurate statement would be:

AV-Comparatives refuses to test Symantec in the "real world" tests without also participating in the meaningless and misleading  tests.

Kudos0

I guess it bears reposting the link to an article by Sophos about the importance of methodology in providing accurate assessments of how well an AV product actually performs:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/10/18/comparative-anti-malware-tests-the-right-way-to-do-them/

Kudos0

DaveH wrote:

A more accurate statement would be:

AV-Comparatives refuses to test Symantec in the "real world" tests without also participating in the meaningless and misleading  tests.

It's interesting that PCWorld March 2013 printed edition that just came in has a feature on 9 Security Suites tested that includes NIS 2013 and it come in second place due mostly to lower results at cleaning up (something we know about and deal with) ..... and the testing for PCWorld was done by AV-Test ....

It's a little amusing since NIS is rated 100% at blocking realworld malware with 0% false positives ...... well if we block malware 100% what is left to clean up ? <vbg>

The real data is in a small image at the end of the online article linked to above and needs enlarging to be readable.

Hugh
Kudos0

100% on what was tested, a piece of malware may be repacked or new like NOW and gets through.

Bootkit and Rootkit curing is what lets it down (the patching type, put simple)  and sometimes dead leftover objects.

BUT  I will say Norton is very good at the another group,  curing all the files infected with the Virut / Ramnit families, especially after the HTM(L) fix was done thanks to SSR taking my info and data, and dealing with it.

Quads

Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

it come in second place due mostly to lower results at cleaning up (something we know about and deal with) ..

What is up with removal?  I thought Norton was fairly high in that regard, no?
Kudos0

9nines wrote:

What is up with removal?  I thought Norton was fairly high in that regard, no?

That was purely my impression from over a period of time here coupled with recommendations to use Malwarebytes if one is worried that something may have gotten through. I'm talking about cleaning up stuff that may have gotten through rather than what most of us want which is to stop it ..... something hard to do when malware changes so rapidly coupled with users unwittingly inviting malware while thinking they are saying No Thanks.

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.