• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Desktop PC with ethernet connection...Does Norton 360 VPN help?

I connect my PC via an ethernet cable.  When I read Norton's FAQs about VPN all I see is protection when using WiFi.  Does it also protect my PC when connected by ethernet?  

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Desktop PC with ethernet connection...Does Norton 360 VPN help?

It does protect an Ethernet connected PC. Although it may not be as necessary as when using public wifi. Your data will still be encrypted as it leaves and enters your computer.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thank you, peterweb!

Kudos0

What about IP and/or location masking?
How is that done on a wired network?

Kudos1 Stats

Exactly the same way it is done on wifi. Your outgoing data is encrypted then sent out to the VPN servers before being sent out on the open internet. So websites will see the IP address of the VPN server as being your IP. That also identifies your location as being where the VPN server is located.

Kudos0

But how do you spoof locations to bypass region restrictions and if location is permanently blocked, how can you access sites that would then deny or restrict access?
Kudos0

When you set up your VPN you choose a virtual location that is in the country you are trying to appear to be in. That should bypass the geo locking on most sites. Just note that some sites can still detect you are using a VPN and will block access anyway.

Kudos0

I don't have any "setup" or configuration for vpn on my pc. There's literally nothing. Not even a mention of it. My location and IP address are also visible to anyone and everyone. If it weren't for the app on my phone, I wouldn't even know I had secure vpn.
Kudos0

lucid_enigma:
I don't have any "setup" or configuration for vpn on my pc. There's literally nothing. Not even a mention of it. My location and IP address are also visible to anyone and everyone. If it weren't for the app on my phone, I wouldn't even know I had secure vpn.

If you have the Norton Secure VPN app installed on your mobile, it has nothing to do with having it on your PC. Have you upgraded your Norton product to the new 360 products? If so, the VPN feature should get installed automatically. If you do not have the new 360 product, you need to download the VPN as a separate program onto your PC. You also need to ensure that the subscription to Norton Secure VPN you are using for your mobile device is for multiple devices. If you purchased from the Apple or Google app stores, you probably only have a one device subscription. You would have to contact Norton Support to try to get them to add a multi device subscription in place of the single device subscription.

Kudos0

Not nothing to do with it. I've had security deluxe on pc and phone for some time and just took up an offer to upgrade to 360 for free. Following links on both to install features, I added secure vpn to my phone but nothing is added to my pc. I've run the Norton download app a number of times. Each time it says successfully updated. Each time it remains exactly the same.
Kudos0

If you have installed the new 360 product on your PC, the VPN feature is included within the 360 GUI. It is not a separate program. Do not install the Standalone Norton Secure VPN if you are using the new 360 product.  It is a separate app on mobile devices, although it appears to be covered by the 360 subscription.

Kudos0

Did a full uninstall and reinstall of everything and the "My Norton" section has now updated to look like your screenshot and includes the Secure VPN and I can now open the Secure VPN window!
I guess it must have just not upgraded properly from Security Deluxe?
Oh well, it's working now!

Now I have it up and running (if I could bother you one last time!), is there a way to create a shortcut directly to Secure VPN?

I currently have to open My Norton or r-click the tray icon and select it there.  Fine for me but my son will likely find that way too complicated!
I tried just making a shortcut to the vpn exe but it doesn't work .
I assume for security reasons it needs to be launched by Norton 360, but could I make a shortcut to 360 with a cmd line to tell it to open the VPN window or something similar?

Kudos1 Stats

Now I have it up and running (if I could bother you one last time!), is there a way to create a shortcut directly to Secure VPN?

Not to my knowledge. Norton is looking at having a way to have the VPN start automatically in a future update.

Kudos0

Ok. Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.