• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Did mrt.exe catch something Norton 360 didn't ???

BACKGROUND

System:  HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop 1.8 GHz AMD dual core TL-56 processor runing Vista (32 bit) SP2 with 3 Mb RAM

Problem:  System was running more slowly every day (over two week period).  Symptoms were  longer boot up times and slow system response for the first 20 minutes or so of initial operation.  Evidence of problem were high CPU and disk usage seen in Microsoft Resource Monitor.  The culprit appeared to be the searcher indexer, but even after resetting search defaults problem went away and came back right away.

This morning, CPU & disk usage again went hiigh (continuously > 50%), but the culprit was mrt.exe, which I later discovered is Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT).  After MSRT ran its course (about 30 - 45 minutes), the system is running fine and the search indexer issue does not appear to be returing as it did before.

SO BACK TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION --- DID MSRT.EXE CATCH SOMETHING NORTON 360 DIDN'T?

1.  A check of the Norton 360 history indicated that four times it BLOCKED mrt.exe, yet the program ran. 

DOES THIS MEAN I CANNOT TRUST NORTON 360 MESSAGES WHEN IT SAYS IT DID SOMETHING?

2.  After mrt.exe ran, my problem seems to be gone.

SINCE MRT.EXE ONLY REMOVES MALICIOUS SOFTWARE, WHY DIDN'T NORTON 360 REMOVE IT OR IDENTIFY IT FIRST?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Did mrt.exe catch something Norton 360 didn't ???

BACKGROUND

System:  HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop 1.8 GHz AMD dual core TL-56 processor runing Vista (32 bit) SP2 with 3 Mb RAM

Problem:  System was running more slowly every day (over two week period).  Symptoms were  longer boot up times and slow system response for the first 20 minutes or so of initial operation.  Evidence of problem were high CPU and disk usage seen in Microsoft Resource Monitor.  The culprit appeared to be the searcher indexer, but even after resetting search defaults problem went away and came back right away.

This morning, CPU & disk usage again went hiigh (continuously > 50%), but the culprit was mrt.exe, which I later discovered is Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT).  After MSRT ran its course (about 30 - 45 minutes), the system is running fine and the search indexer issue does not appear to be returing as it did before.

SO BACK TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION --- DID MSRT.EXE CATCH SOMETHING NORTON 360 DIDN'T?

1.  A check of the Norton 360 history indicated that four times it BLOCKED mrt.exe, yet the program ran. 

DOES THIS MEAN I CANNOT TRUST NORTON 360 MESSAGES WHEN IT SAYS IT DID SOMETHING?

2.  After mrt.exe ran, my problem seems to be gone.

SINCE MRT.EXE ONLY REMOVES MALICIOUS SOFTWARE, WHY DIDN'T NORTON 360 REMOVE IT OR IDENTIFY IT FIRST?

Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

Hello ronbut

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

The block you saw for MRT was Norton protecting itself. That doesn't stop MRT from working and doing it's thing. MRT.exe is updated every month and is part of Windows Updates. No one security program is 100 % effective. The MRT does it's thing on all computers regardless of the security program run and is not meant to replace your antivirus program either.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome latest one
Kudos3 Stats

Hi ronbut,

Floplot is correct that the logs showing MRT.exe blocked have to do with Norton Product Tamper Protection, which only blocks the program from accessing Norton files and processes - it does not prevent MRT from running normally.  If MRT did detect something malicious on your system it would alert you to the discovery when you log in as an administrator and advise you on what actions to take.  So unless you were notified by MRT that malware was detected it means no threats were present on your system and the MRT scan found nothing.

Kudos0

Thanks for your reply.  It made me remember that Norton can't do everything.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.