• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

DMZ and NIS 2009

Since my System Works 12 standard will be expiring at the end of the year, I am trying to decide between getting NAV 2009 or NIS 2009. What I would like to know is will NIS 2009 allow me to use the DMZ that is available with my modem/router. I have one program in which I live in just about and for that program to work correctly, I need to go on the DMZ.  It is an old program, but it is the site I use for playing Unreal Tournament 99 with my friends for the last 10 years or so. I know that both the site and the game will work with the NAV 2009 part of System Works which has been updated to 16.7.2.11. I'm hesitant about getting the 2010 versions because of the possibility that Sonor 2 will block GameSpyArcade and Unreal Tournament 99. I don't want to take the chance to try it out and then find out that it does get deleted or blocked. Will NIS 2010 allow me to use the DMZ? If there is anything in the program that blocks other programs based on the number of people who use Norton's and the other programs, then it may very well get deleted.

I'm running XP Pro sp3 and the updates since then. Also IE 7..

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: DMZ and NIS 2009

Since my System Works 12 standard will be expiring at the end of the year, I am trying to decide between getting NAV 2009 or NIS 2009. What I would like to know is will NIS 2009 allow me to use the DMZ that is available with my modem/router. I have one program in which I live in just about and for that program to work correctly, I need to go on the DMZ.  It is an old program, but it is the site I use for playing Unreal Tournament 99 with my friends for the last 10 years or so. I know that both the site and the game will work with the NAV 2009 part of System Works which has been updated to 16.7.2.11. I'm hesitant about getting the 2010 versions because of the possibility that Sonor 2 will block GameSpyArcade and Unreal Tournament 99. I don't want to take the chance to try it out and then find out that it does get deleted or blocked. Will NIS 2010 allow me to use the DMZ? If there is anything in the program that blocks other programs based on the number of people who use Norton's and the other programs, then it may very well get deleted.

I'm running XP Pro sp3 and the updates since then. Also IE 7..

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Good morning floplot:

Giving your router instructions to use DMZ mode will just allow everything to come through the router firewall to your computer.  It is less secure than the other modes as nothing but malicious items are blocked by the NAT. For this reason, your Norton firewall will get more of a workout deciding what to allow  and what to block, but it doesn't resolve the issue about whether or not NAV2010 will allow your old program to run.  

You should be able to resolve the problem by keeping your router settings in a more secure mode, and specifically allowing your program through that firewall.  You would then have to specifically allow it in the Norton auto-protect and scan settings.  You may end up having to back up your program and settings, and then give it a try.  With fingers crossed. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Hi Delph

I know it is less secure being on the DMZ, but for the last few years, that was the only way of getting that program to work correctly. I know the basic ports that the program uses, but that wasn't enough to get it to work completely and correctly. Even tech support for that program couldn't give me a working set of ports to get it all to work right.That is why I am thinking about the 2009 version of NIS rather than the 2010. My son has N360 and can get into that program ok with that. I guess I will have to try and get him to come into that program and see if it works right with his settings according to the way that N360 sets it up. This is why I am hesitant about getting NIS 2009 even. Maybe I should stick to my NAV 2009 which would be the same as what I have now with with System Works 12 Standard. The game and GameSpyArcade are always backed up, well will be once again backed up daily once my son sets up my backup program on my new drive completely. My current firewall protects me and also the firewall setting on the modem/router is still set on normal and the DMZ is still working ok for me in that site. We had tried port triggering and port forwarding for GameSpyArcade and for UT99 with the modem/router and that was the only way to get the features of the site to work correctly. I've been clean with the setup I have now.

Kudos0

Hi

I'm still debating whether to get NAV 2009 or NIS 2009 since my system works is ending soon. I don't want to get 2010 yet because I am afraid that the Sonar 2 will delete my GameSpyArcade program and my Unreal Tournament99 game. They are both old and I don't know how popular they are with the Norton users world wide. I'm probably the only one who comes to this community who still uses GameSpyArcade and still plays Unreal Tournament 99 online. In order to get GameSpyArcade to work properly, I have to go on the DMZ with my current firewall on. I've had no problems with that method. My modem/router's Firewall is still set on Medium and it works fine. I'm still concerned though if I get NIS if that firewall part will still let my programs work without blocking them or deleting them. I've seen the problems here in the Forum with people who create new programs and new exe's and they are considered as trojans or viruses and get deleted auto. My main concern is that the same thing won't happen with old programs too.??? I know being on the DMZ isn't the safest, but with a good fire wall it is ok, has been and is ok now with my current set up.

Kudos0

Hi floplot

I am partial to NAV 2009 so my opinion may be biased, as opinions often are. For what it's worth I would go with NAV 2009 as you already know that it's fully compatible with your unique system configuration and you know that it wont interfere with playing Unreal Tournament. I completely understand your concerns about possible compatibility issues with your game and NIS/NAV 2010.

Kudos0

Hi

Now I have come up with this idea. I know that there won't be any further updates or versions of System Works 12 Standard. Is is possible for me to just buy a new subscription or a new key  for the current System Works 12 Standard that I have now ? The Antivirus part is updated now to 16.7.2.11 and I know I can update that part to NAV 2010, but I don't want to do that yet for the reasons mentioned in my other posts in this thread. It's a shame though that the Norton Utilities part that is in System Works can't be upgraded to the Norton Utilities that they now sell separately like the NAV part can be upgraded.

Kudos0

floplot wrote:

Hi

Now I have come up with this idea. I know that there won't be any further updates or versions of System Works 12 Standard.

Hi floplot and all 

We have all been under the impression that SystemWorks (all versions) will not be updated but that only appears to be true for SystemWorks Basic according to the document linked below. Standard and Premier are listed as "update plans to be announced" - is there yet hope??

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090605001726EN

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Hi mdturner

I hope that chart is correct, but according to what I had seen in earlier threads of mine in the other section of the Forum where System Works gets lost in, it seemed like there were no plans to upgrade it in it's entirety.  I only have 47 days left of my current subscription. So far I have only seen that I can update the NAV part of the program. If they are going to have something like that, they will have to announce it quite soon. I really think though what they want to do is just seel System Works as 2 separate programs like NAV and that new Norton Utilities program rather than have it combined into one package like System Works. It's really 2 programs now in System Works, but it was one price and less than adding NAV and Norton Utilities prices together.

I had seen that to be announced earlier yet, I think in the summer time and they said back then that there wouldn't be any new versions of System works coming out. It had said to be announced back then too, but according to the Symantec employees, there wasn't going to be any. I can't remember now which one actually said it. I know it was this summer, but hoping that they have changed their minds. If no beta is out yet, it won't be in time before my sub ends in 47 days if one should happen to come out.

If a new one does come out, it would most likely incorporate NAV 2010 and I don't want that version since it may delete GSA and UT as stated in one of my earlier posts in this thread. That Sonar 2 is too dangerous as far as my GSA and UT 99 is concerned as far as I know.

Message Edited by floplot on 11-15-2009 03:10 PM

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.