• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Do anyone install ThreatFire 4.0 with NIS 2009?

Do anyone install ThreatFire 4.0 with NIS 2009?

ThreatFire 4.0
http://www.threatfire.com/download/

Is it working OK?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Do anyone install ThreatFire 4.0 with NIS 2009?

Running fine for me. I had 3.5 before.
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Kudos0

Dieselman743 wrote:
you installed Norton AntiBot and ThreatFire together?
Kudos0

Dieselman743 wrote:

Can you use "Norton Insight→View→Check Trust Now" after installed ThreatFire 4.0?

Kudos0

I never had Anti Bot installed togther. I tried Anti Bot before but it missed alot of tests.I was talking about Threatfire 3.5.Message Edited by Dieselman743 on 10-21-2008 02:35 PM
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Kudos0

Well I finally figured out why sometimes my pc locks up every now and then. About twice a week. Its Threatfire. Also it just made NIS crash with a ccSvcHst.exe error. Also in order for Threatfire to be any good you need to put it on level 4. But in this level it locks up all my games. Level 3 is default but it misses a lot of tests in this mode. I since switched back to Mamutu which is a lot better and more informative.

http://www.mamutu.com/en/software/mamutu/

The ccSvcHst.exe error was also posted in the PCTools forums so it isnt just me. 

Message Edited by Dieselman743 on 10-21-2008 04:33 PM
Kudos0

Hi ONE,

I have installed TreatFire 4.0 over NIS 2009 and Norton AntiBot.

Norton Insight works as well.

Have not had any issues at all so far, therefore I will wait to give

more info at this time.

Will post more info on issues found a week from now.

No post will mean, no issues.

Kudos0

See the PCTools forum. Threatfire will make NIS 2009 crash. Leave your pc on. It happened to me about every 4 days.
Kudos0

Hi Dieselman743,

I have set the ThreatFire protection to "OFF".

It is a known fact since a long time ago, that 2 "AutoProtect" functions

working at same time will end in one of them having a crach.

So therefore I am using NAV -AutoProtect alone and using other malware-

detecting and removing applications only for scanning and removing.

By doing this way I reduce or even eliminate a crash.

Kudos0

I suggest you uninstall threatfire if you have real-time turned off - this is the programs main defence - the manual file scanning is only an elementary secondary defense. Havign threatfire installed with realtime off only wastes system resources.

Personally though, I've had threatfire 3.5 running on 2 computers in parallel with NIS2009 and on som others witrh avast! and have had no issues.

Kudos0

I see the website says on of the enw features is PCTools AV engine is now included...

Is that an optional install/it can be completely disabled in the program options?

Conflicts are bad, and i doubt PCTAV would win this battle :(

Kudos0

TF is not an AV. It is a behavior blocker. It sholudnt interfere with NIS but it does.
Kudos0

Yes, I am aware of that :D I was looking through the features list for version 4 (i am using 3.5) and noticed under "New" that it now includes the PC Tools AV engine.
Kudos0

Hi tech-sponge,

I have now had Treatfire ver. 4.0.0.6 with full protect "ON" installed along with NIS 2009 build 125

and NAB ver. 1.1.838 for over 5 days, without having any issue what so ever.

2 systems with Vista SP1 has been running.

Norton Insight is also working as expected.

Treatfire has detected 2 treats -  trojan.adware.BHO and misleading application for use in uninstallations.

No other malware removing application has detected these.

I have not seen any reduction in system resources under these test conditions.

Kudos0

Thanks for the reply Kurt.

I updated to threatfire 4 myself yesterday and have had no issues either - NIS09, Tfire 4, XP SP3 on 2 computers.

As it turns out, the antivirus engine in threatfire is on-demand only, ie, it has no real time, so it doesn;t clash with Norton, for anyone who is wondering.

Kudos0

Leave your pc on for awhile. Days. You will have issues. Both my laptop and desktop has issues with TF. TF makes NIS 2009 crash. Just see the PCTools forum.
Kudos0

Hi Dieselman743,

I visited the "Treatfire Community Forum" and found different experiences

on this subject.

I will go on to get more experiece myself, to be able to find out how TreatFire 4.0

behaves on my 2 systems.

So far TreatFire 4.0 is behaving to do its tasks in a good manner.

That is what count for me.

We do have different experiences so far, lets see what the future will give.

Kudos1 Stats

Dieselman743 wrote:
TF is not an AV. It is a behavior blocker. It sholudnt interfere with NIS but it does.

The Pro version does have an AV installed

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Threatfire 4.0 Pro and Free both include an on-demand AV engine

Only difference between the two is auto-u[pdates when opted out of the community, and support options.

Kudos0

I hope ThreatFire can build in NIS as soon as possible
Kudos0

I have been using ThreatFire and NIS 2009 (previously 2008) without any issues, with both of the them running real time ON...
Kudos0

Kudos0

I have been using Threatfire 3.5 together with my NIS09 and I have not seen any problems with those two. No crashes.

I am not yet sure if I'll update it to 4.0 since everything is working fine for me in 3.5 version. So I think, if you have any crashes in 4.0, you might as well go back to 3.5 where everything is stable.

Well, that is just me.

Kudos0

Hi Dieselman743,

I have read reply #7.

My comment is, that it seems the TreatFire-team was ínformed just before this.

I have no doubts about your experience of a crash in NIS 2009.

Have you given feedback to the NIS 2009-team.

That would be the right and fair action at this time. 

Go ahead and do this.

Kudos0

No reason for feedback. TF crashed my NIS 2009 on both my machines so I dumped it. Mamutu is alot better with more options. TF is only good if its on level 4.
Kudos0

Dieselman743 wrote:
No reason for feedback. TF crashed my NIS 2009 on both my machines so I dumped it. Mamutu is alot better with more options. TF is only good if its on level 4.
Diesalman, can you care to share to us the memory usage of Mamatu? Because I have read from other forums that Mamatu takes up 22k.
My Threafire takes just about 7.5k and the difference between Mamatu and TF's memory usage is quite large. 
Kudos0

Does ThreatFire do anything significant? It provides 77% more protection for NIS07, however the latest is NIS09.
=\
Kudos0

Memory usage means nothing to real world. I have used programs that take are much as 56K and no slow downs. Then I have used program such as Tf which uses 8K but does slow your pc down. TF also has CPU spikes and disc access spikes. Just use Anvir Task Manager and you will see. Right now Mamutu uses 2 services. a3service and mamutu. Both add up to about 25-30K with now slow downs. Ever since dumping Tf my pc is quicker and more responsive.
Kudos0

Yes TF has it advantages. NIS misses alot of HIPS tests. System Shutdown Simulator for 1. NIS 2009 will fail the HIPS test but with TF or Mamutu you will pass. Keep in minf TF has to be on level 4 or higher but in this mode you will get alot of false positives such as it locks up my games.
Kudos0

I have not have any problems running Threatfire with NIS 2009. In my opinion, Threatfire is a great product. Threatfire 4.0 has been running very smoothing alongside NIS 2009. I will see if any problems arises.
Message Edited by Smokejumper on 10-29-2008 12:42 AMMessage Edited by Smokejumper on 10-29-2008 12:46 AMMessage Edited by Smokejumper on 10-29-2008 12:52 AM
Kudos0

I'm not sure to what extent it supplements 09, but when i used NIS2008, it managed to save me from toolbar installs, a couple of worms, and a trojan horse (which symantec didn't have definitions for until 2 weeks later).

NIS09 does have a much more effective heuristics engine (SONAR) than previous years, but having a multi-layered defecne doesn't hurt.

Edit - 

I haven't had any issues with TF 4 and NIS09 yet, so fingers crossed :D

Message Edited by tech-sponge on 10-29-2008 07:59 PM
Kudos0

My threatfire 3.5 auto-updated this morning to 4.0 and my PC did not experience any crashes... so far.

4.0 is running fine with my NIS. It's good.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.