• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Does NIS 2010 manage the security history size?

Does NIS 2010 manage the size of the security history? Mine still has every entry and accessing it is getting slow.  I don't want to clear it.  I assume at some point the oldest entries will age off.  Is that correct?

Message Edited by car825 on 09-21-2009 06:16 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Does NIS 2010 manage the security history size?

car825 wrote:

Does NIS 2010 manage the size of the security history? Mine still has every entry and accessing it is getting slow.  I don't want to clear it.  I assume at some point the oldest entries will age off.  Is that correct?

Message Edited by car825 on 09-21-2009 06:16 PM

A really great question. I have always assumed that, sooner or later, it will FIFO but I have no idea what the size can grow to.

If you suspect that the size is making accessing the history slow and you have checked there is nothing you need to keep then clear the history entries to see if things return to "normal". 

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

I found this in the NIS 2010 Help Center:

Security History stores the information in a separate file. When the file size reaches its maximum size limit, information that is related to new events overwrites the information that is related to older events. You can export the log periodically, if you want to keep the entire Security History information.

Instructions for exporting and importing the history log is also available in the Help file.  Still doesn't answer exactly how much disk space is allocated before it begins to overwrite, though.
Kudos0

hello.

a scan of my history suggests approximately ten days worth of general information.

or perhaps the upgrade removed all general information history prior to the upgrade.  :)

anything flagged low risk or higher remains in the history, even those prior to the upgrade.

Kudos0

Hi again car825

The question on max file size is bugging me so I have messaged someone who I feel sure will have the answer to this and will post it when I get it back - hopefully later today.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Hi car825,

This problem was reported in NIS 2010 Beta and Tim_Lopez (Symantec Employee) has asked to export the History file and submit it:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis2010_pb&message.id=2167

I think, you may have to check this with Tim_Lopez. There is no limit to the size of security history, but you can clear the entries and cleanup the history whenever you want. You can cleanup the history on monthly basis as keeping older entries in your computer won't do any help nor it is harmful. Sometimes, it may make the security history to load slowly. There was also a suggestion put forth for NIS/NAV 2010 to include the feature for purge/archive the Security History, but I am not sure of it's status:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis2010_pb&message.id=1552

Yogesh

Kudos3 Stats

Hi

There are several storage sources that provide information to the Security History UI.

The sources that provide historical data are circular log files, limited to 2MB each. 

The number of events per file varies based on the size of a particular entry. 

All logs can be cleared from within the UI using the "clear history" button, or individual logs can be cleared within individual categories using the "clear entries" button.

Regards

Pieter 

Kudos0

PieterV wrote:

Hi

There are several storage sources that provide information to the Security History UI.

The sources that provide historical data are circular log files, limited to 2MB each. 

All logs can be cleared from within the UI using the "clear history" button, or individual logs can be cleared within individual categories using the "clear entries" button.

Regards

Pieter 

The peformance flip screen has info about scans, downloads, etc.  Will any of this be lost by clearing the Security History? Is the history strictly informational or does it drive any processing?

Kudos0

car825 wrote:

PieterV wrote:

Hi

Regards

Pieter 

The peformance flip screen has info about scans, downloads, etc.  Will any of this be lost by clearing the Security History? Is the history strictly informational or does it drive any processing?

The performance information will not be lost, however some details will be, e.g. if you click on a "view details" link the details will have been deleted.
Kudos0

PieterV wrote:

car825 wrote:

PieterV wrote:

Hi

Regards

Pieter 

The performance information will not be lost, however some details will be, e.g. if you click on a "view details" link the details will have been deleted.

The Norton Community Watch entries take up a lot of space.  Is there any reason not clear them on a regular basis?  I'm not sure what purpose they serve from a user perspective.

Kudos0

Hello,I have a problem with my scan History.I  have NIS 2010 All of my scan logs are not there anymore?.

Even on the main window in performance the results show quick scans:view details and also number of threat detections:2

I click on view but in both of these there are no results in History? Could anyone please tell me if this is normal or could there be

something wrong?.I have also noticed all of my idle time scans are not listed aswell. my NIS 2010 is all upto date and quick scan is all clear,same for full system scan.

kind regards Stoneheart

XP PRO/ SP3 IE8/Firefox ver:3.6.11/ NIS 2011
Kudos0

I suspect that something is wrong. Unless, you press clear security history?......
“ We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard ”--President John F. Kennedy

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.