Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
Downloaded Norton Internet Security through Xfinity - Issues
I've been a mac user for a about 7 years now and never had any antivirus software so far. When I saw Norton internet security protection " free" at Xfinity website, i jumped and installed it . I thought the installation didn't go through fine, but the norton app appeared after a while. After that i followed the following steps
1) opened the app and updated the app for the latest version of virus files ( DAT files i think ) . It took about 10mins . but i did update
2) it asked me to restart the computer . Before that I checked the activity monitor , there was "symuld" process with way too high cpu usage. I checked the blogs to see what could be the issue. Comments were not great. But i still went ahead and tried to restart the machine. It gave me white screen and did not go away. Waited for a while , nothing happened. I hard pressed the power button. Though the screen went black, the processor was still running ( at least the fan was on ) and apple logo on the lid was on.
3) I tried to restart now, it gave me white screen again and it won't move further . I opened the cover and disconnected the battery . Then connected the battery again . Then restarted the computer. It worked . I went in and uninstalled norton . Then while restarting it still gave me the same white screen and did not shut down . I had to do the same thing again ( removing cover, disconnecting battery,connecting battery )
4) I called up Norton before uninstalling the software, they said it's not norton issue, I need to check with apple . My laptop is late 2011 model with osSiera 10.13.1 . I couldn't call apple. I had to figure out on my own.
5) I still have the same issue . Could anyone help me ? Please. I don't want to lose my laptop because of Norton