• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Email scan Outlook 2003 Norton 2010

I just upgraded to 2010 from 2009. Previously, when scanning email in Outlook 2003 a tray notification would appear to let me know that incoming/outgoing email was being scanned by Norton. After the upgrade, no such indication. Setting show that Office/email scanning is on. Is this normal behavior or do I have a glitch in my system?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Email scan Outlook 2003 Norton 2010

I just upgraded to 2010 from 2009. Previously, when scanning email in Outlook 2003 a tray notification would appear to let me know that incoming/outgoing email was being scanned by Norton. After the upgrade, no such indication. Setting show that Office/email scanning is on. Is this normal behavior or do I have a glitch in my system?
Kudos0

Hi Michael,

Your problem has already been addressed in this thread. To summarize it, this was an intended change made to the 2010 norton products so they would conform to the new features of the windows 7 system tray. In windows 7 to save both memory and space in the system tray windows 7 hides all notification icons by default and gives the user the option of whether or not they want them to appear in the tray when they are supposed to.

Even though you no longer see the notification icon (unless you are using windows 7) rest assured that all of your incoming and outgoing email messages are still being scanned by your norton product so long as you have it set to do so.

Hope this helps!

Pexley

Kudos0

Pexley -- Thanks for the pointer. But, as it turns out, Norton Antivirus 2010 was not scanning my outgoing email correctly. In fact, it was removing it from my system and not sending it. Hard to imagine, but true. I discovered that if I set the progress indictor so show, Outlook crashed. Then, upon shut down, I would get a ThorConnWndClass window which I could not close. Task manager showed multiple running outlook.exe processes.

Later, I discovered I could not send email to myself through the smtp-server used by Outlook. The pop-server would not return it to my Outlook email and if I sent an email to one of my web based accounts, that account would not receive the email, either. Something was eating my email and it turns out it was Norton 2010.

Malware scans by several products, including Norton, were normal. Norton's scan of it's own product found no problems. Root specific scans were identical to those prior to the problem and showed no evidence of a rootkit. 

I tried several things to fix the problem, including a repair of Outlook and running Oultook without addons. Nothing permanently solved the problem, which would always reappear after a few Outlook sessions.

Eventually, I performed a clean install of Norton 2010 (previously, I had simply installed it over AV 2009). I ran Norton's removal too, rebooted. I ran it again, rebooted. I then manually removed left-over Norton and Symantec files and reg keys. Yes, the Norton removal tool leaves a  lot of left-overs. I rebooted. I re-downloaded Norton AV 2010 and performed the clean install.

Using default settings, I tested Outlook with addons disabled. Idential problem persisted. Outlook crashed. Obviously, AV 2010 conflicted with something on my system and the assurances provided by Norton that my email was being properly scanned were incorrect.

I've since reverted to AV 2009 which works like a charm on my system. I appreciate seeing the various email icons showing new mail, scanning, and them disappearing when a task is accomplished. When AV 2010 was installed, icons never appeared and, as it turns out, my suspicions were more than justified.

I am afraid that Norton, once again in my life, has disappointed me. Since I know I cannot run AV 2010, I  will be unable to renew my Norton subscription. I do not want to run and out dated AV program on my computer.

Kudos0

After installing AV 2010 over 2009, I noticed there were no icons showing up when Outlook 2003 would send/receive email. I questioned this on these boards and was advised it was normal and reassured Norton was properly scanning my email.

But, as it turns out, Norton Antivirus 2010 was not scanning my outgoing email correctly. In fact, it was removing non-infected email from my system and not sending it. Hard to imagine, but true. I discovered that if I set the progress indictor so show, Outlook crashed. Then, upon shut down, I would get a ThorConnWndClass window which I could not close. Task manager showed multiple running outlook.exe processes. After reboot, Outlook would seem to function correctly for a period of time but eventually would crash.

Later, I discovered I could not send email to myself through the smtp-server used by Outlook. The pop-server would not return it to my Outlook email and if I sent an email to one of my web based accounts, that account would not receive the email, either. I suspected a worm or other malware Malware scans by several products, including Norton and MalwareBytes, were clean. Norton's scan of it's own product found no problems. Root specific scans were identical to those prior to the problem and showed no evidence of a rootkit. AV 2010 was eating my email.

I tried several things to fix the problem, including a repair of Outlook and running Oultook without addons. Nothing permanently solved the problem, which would always re-appear after a few Outlook sessions. I suspected a problem with the 2010 installation.

I performed a clean install of Norton 2010 (previously, I had simply installed it over AV 2009). To do this, I ran Norton's removal tool, rebooted. I ran it again, rebooted. I then manually removed left-over Norton and Symantec files and reg keys.  Yes, Norton's removal tool leaves a lot of left-overs. I rebooted. I ran CC Cleaner.

I re-downloaded Norton AV 2010 and performed the clean install. Using Norton's default settings (but with automatic Office protection and email scanning set to show the progress indicator enabled) I tested Outlook, with addons disabled. Outlook immediately crashed. Obviously, AV 2010 conflicted with something on my system and was eating my email. The assurances provided by Norton support through the product and here in this forum that my email was being properly scanned were incorrect.

I reinstalled AV 2009, and it's working like a charm on my system. I can send and receive email without problems. I appreciate seeing the various email icons showing new mail, scanning, and them disappearing when a task is accomplished. When AV 2010 was installed, icons never appeared.

Norton has, once again in my life, disappointed me. Since I know I cannot run AV 2010, I  will be unable to renew my Norton subscription. Once again, I'll have to re-learn the in-n-outs of another AV program unless someone here can guarantee the problem I had with AV 2010 has been fixed.
Kudos0

Hi Michaeldayla,

Check with your ISP the ports used by Outgoing/Incoming emails. Many Service Providers are changing their Incoming/Outgoing ports now, where as Norton Email Scan is configured only to work with Standard POP3/SMTP ports. Let us know the ports used by your ISP.

Yogesh

Kudos0

Yogesh -- ISP uses standard ports 25 & 110. My email configuration was the first thing I checked. I even removed the account and re-set, as sometimes this can fix such a problem. My problem was definitely related to AV 2010. With AV 2009 re-installed, I have not problems. -- Michael 
Kudos0

I am experiencing exactly the same problems as Michaeldayla.   The only "work around" I have found to date is to disable Norton Client Integration with Outlook 2003 and to disable scanning of outgoing and incoming emails.  Obviously this defeats a main purpose of NIS and is completely unacceptable.

However I can now send and receive emails without Outlook 2003 hanging.

Have to hope that Symantec get a fix for this issue ASAP!!!

Kudos0

Hi

I think this might have something to do with Norton's Antivirus and Office installation itself. Since Office was installed when you had your 2009 product installed, I think there are some tie ins connected in the Office program itself. I think when you install your 2010 product, the office install has remained the same, so it is behaving the way it was with 2009 installed.  Since Outlook is part of Office, perhaps a clean install of Office would fix the problem with 2010 handling Outlook in the right way. I hope you understand what I am trying to get at. I think the 2 programs are sort of dependent on each other since there is a setting to protect your Office product and the protection is probably different in the 2010 product. Perhaps you can try uninstalling office and then installing that again with your 2010 product installed. I don't use Outlook and I don't have my 2010 product yet, so I haven't tried that out. Don't know if you would want to try uninstalling and reinstalling Office with your 2010 product installed or not. It's just an idea I came up with now. Up to you guys. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks for the suggestion. A clean install of Office is about the only thing I did not try before reverting back to AV 2009. It might work.

I don't know if I am up the task, however. I am not exactly excited about having to reconfigure Outlook and Word all over again, as well as Norton, just to update to AV 2010. 

I will keep your suggestion in mind, in case I get a wild hair and feel up to the task. BTW, your suggestion is the only one I have received either here or from Norton support. I have generally found Norton support to be clueless and near worthless, especially if I factor in the time involved.

Thanks for your input.  

Kudos0

Michaeldayla wrote:

[ ... ]

I have generally found Norton support to be clueless and near worthless, especially if I factor in the time involved.

I fully understand your frustration with the situation -- no-one likes that sort of remedy especially when it may not change anything.

I would qualify your final comment by saying that the Symantec Staff who help out here -- names in red -- are wonderful. They do this on top of their actual jobs which in many cases is actually programming the products so they know how things work (or should <g>) deep down inside which the normal Customer Support staff cannot be expected to -- they can only work from general experience of others.

Please hang around for a while in case one of them can pick up on your problem and help with it.

I'm not clued in enough to know but I wonder if there is any connection between what you are experiencing and what I and some others are with Outlook Express 6 where is something is causing it to go to Off Line status so that you have to change that when you go to use it.

Hugh
Kudos0

Your welcome. If you do decide to do it and my solution works, please come back and let us know. NAV 2010 is supposed to work better than 2009. Some times when you install new antivirus programs, other programs have to be reinstalled also so that they work with the new antivirus program correctly. Permissions for programs change with a new installation of an antivirus program.
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

My problem is that when I configure NIS 2010 to integrate to my Outlook 2003 email client and set scanning on incoming and outgoing email  the following takes place:

1 the first "New" email I send using Outlook 2003 via my "POP" ISP account, appears to process as "sent" i.e. it temporarily appears in the Output file, then sends and then appears in the Sent file as sent.  However in fact, it has not been sent! 

2 I have proved this several times by sending test mail to my ISP web based mail account and then going online and checking the web based mail box -  the Outlook "sent" email is not there.  Also if I send to other folks they report not receiving my emails.

3 Any subsequent attempt at New email fails to leave the Outlook Output file at all.  The Outlook progress bar shows the "Sending" task progressing but the process seems to have"hung" and eventually I have to Cancel it.

4 Interestingly, if I use my Hotmail account however via Outlook, all Hotmail emails do send and are received by Outlook without any problem.  Since this is not POP based is there a clue here?

5 After the first time when the Sending task "hangs", my Outlook is then unable to receive any POP based mail (although Hotmail is still fine?)

6 When Outlook becomes "hung" and I close it, I get the message that "Outlook is Not Responding" and I have to End Now.  Then I get one or more  "ThorConnWnd (whatever that is?) is Not Responding" message  and have to End Now before Windows XP Pro SP3 will close.

When I reboot and wait till NIS 2010 is fully "loaded" and then open Outlook all appears well until I send the first email when the the whole process repeats.,

However, I found that if I disable Norton's IS Client Integration with Outlook along with scanning in and out permanently, then Outlook performs perfectly (but of course is open to viruses!).  since I did not have this problem with NIS2009, one has to conclude the issue is with NIS 2010

I read on another thread here, that simply upgrading from NIS 2009 by downloading and installing NIS 2010 without removing 2009 first, may give rise to prioblems.  I followed the instructions on that thread (titled No Internet or Email) to the letter and got a clean 2010 install.  But have encounterd exactly the same problems.

I cannot believe that only two people (in the Norton world) are experiencing this issue between Outlook 2003 and Norton 2010 and while I can empathise with the difficulties that Symantec will have ensuring backward product integration, I too am disappointed that early adopters seem to be penalised.  I should have known better than to accept a "free upgrade".  I also sympathise with Customer Support staff having to deal with difficult and often deeply technical support calls.

I would go back to using NIS 2009, but I cannot find a way back to download and re-install NIS 2009.  There does not appear to be a download available from Symantec.com.  If it exists, can anyone point me to the download location please?

As to a solution to this particular NIS 2010 issue, as a customer of Symantec, I am clear that the ball is in their court either to fix the issue or in the extreme, to declare that Outlook 2003 is not a supported product.  How does one get them to know about it?

I am equally clear that I am not competent to have to resort to attempting to re-installing Outlook 2003 on the off chance that this will fix the issue.  Nor willing to face the trauma of so doing!  I'm afraid I find it difficult to believe that re-installing an old yet stable Outlook product will change anything in regard to its compatibilty with NIS 2010.

Having said that any further help or suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Kudos0

Hi

What are the ports being used for outgoing and incoming emails with your outlook?

Kudos0

Hi flopot,

My PC incompetence (as I indicated) is such that I have no idea what ports are used nor how to discover these. But if you point me in the right direction I will let you know.  I'm intrigued to know why this might be important?

Kudos0

Hi again floplot

With a little thought I found the settings

In POP3 is 110

Out smtp is 25

Kudos0

Hi

I'm thinking along the lines that most ISP's have forced or are in the process of forcing you to change to port 587 for outgoing emails if you are using clients like outlook. If you use a web interfaced program, then you usually don't have to change the port. If you use another port than the standard port 25 you won't see the email being scanned and we are losing out in having it scanned since at the present time only email sent out on port 25 gets scanned I believe. It might be that your ISP has recently required you to use another port than 25 for outgoing emails and you may not have changed that port.

Kudos0

Hi

I just did a google search about this Outlook problem. I looked in various forums from different antivirus companies and other forums. This seems to be an Office problem which goes back for years and people with different antivirus programs installed have seen this same problem going all the ways back to windows 98 it appears. Since it appears in other companies forums also, it doesn't seem to be specific to Norton's products. Some have pointed to this forum as the best solution. From what I read though, it doesn't work for everyone. I don't use Outlook and the thread that I saw with a solution is probably from an older version of Office also. I don't know if it applies to your version and I'm not saying for you to try it. I will post it as a "for your information" type of link. It looks to be a Office problem more than a Symantec one. Have a look and see what you think. It's an old forum post, but it will show you the problem has been going on for years.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=53370&tag=forum-w;forums06

Kudos0

Osprey -- You've described my problem with Norton AV 2009. You should be able to get a download link from support. I would suggest a clean re-install if you go that route. I explored the suggestion by another poster that the problem was Outlook specific. I tried numerous suggested fixes or work-arounds. Nothing permanently solved the problem except reverting back to AV 2009.
Kudos0

Thanks guys for your helpful inputs.

The evidence points to NIS 2010 being the trigger (if not the cause) of the issue with Outlook 2003.

1. There was/is no problem with NIS 2009

2. There is no problem when NIS2010 is (twice) removed and uninstalled.

3. There is no problem when NIS 2010 Anti Virus scanning is disabled and Outlook Client Integration is aslo disabled.

To me it's difficult to believe that this is an Outlook 2003 problem although I see that people are "citing" Outlook as a cause in the cnet link!  But no conclusive solution is posted.

I want to go back to NIS 2009 and wait for Symantec developements/fix- I have 160 odd subscription days left.  I will try contacting Support for a download link to NIS2009.

Many thanks in the meantime.

Kudos1 Stats

osprey wrote:

Thanks guys for your helpful inputs.

The evidence points to NIS 2010 being the trigger (if not the cause) of the issue with Outlook 2003.

1. There was/is no problem with NIS 2009

2. There is no problem when NIS2010 is (twice) removed and uninstalled.

3. There is no problem when NIS 2010 Anti Virus scanning is disabled and Outlook Client Integration is aslo disabled.

To me it's difficult to believe that this is an Outlook 2003 problem although I see that people are "citing" Outlook as a cause in the cnet link!  But no conclusive solution is posted.

I want to go back to NIS 2009 and wait for Symantec developements/fix- I have 160 odd subscription days left.  I will try contacting Support for a download link to NIS2009.

Many thanks in the meantime.

You can get NIS 2009 from here

www.norton.com/nis09

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Many thanks guys and thanks to mdturner for the download link.

I'm back using NIS2009 which is running perfectly with Outlook 2003 sendin and receiving scanned emails.  Result!!

NIS2010 looks like a good product with some new useful features and I would really like to use them - but.......without having to upgrade Office 2007 or something.

I have to say that this is the first forum I've used where I've got helpful answers and practical help - so thanks.

Finally though, can anyone tell me the best/correct procedure to officially register this issue with Symantec PLC as a problem for them to solve?  e.g. is there a User Problem Register?

Thanks in advance.

Kudos1 Stats

Glad to hear you had a good result through reinstalling NIS2009. NIS 2010 shouldn't have any issues with Outlook 2003 but maybe that can be another day.

Please mark the message that you believe contained the solution to your issue by using the green button beside it. This will mark the thread as Solved and others will know that it has been answered.

Use the feedback link in your product to report your issue to Symantec.

Message Edited by mdturner on 02-10-2009 03:17 PM
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Hi mdturner,

I would love to click the green button against the"solution" message - if only I could see a green button?

Kudos0

Oops, my fault, you didn't start the thread so you can't mark it solved.
Kudos0

No worries.   Reverting to NIS 2009 was the solution for me.
Kudos0

osprey wrote:

Many thanks guys and thanks to mdturner for the download link.

I'm back using NIS2009 which is running perfectly with Outlook 2003 sendin and receiving scanned emails.  Result!!

NIS2010 looks like a good product with some new useful features and I would really like to use them - but.......without having to upgrade Office 2007 or something.

I have to say that this is the first forum I've used where I've got helpful answers and practical help - so thanks.

Finally though, can anyone tell me the best/correct procedure to officially register this issue with Symantec PLC as a problem for them to solve?  e.g. is there a User Problem Register?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you have a workaround for now.

Do please use all the mechanisms for reporting problems including anything built into the application and using the Private Message system to send a message to a Symantec Staffer -- names in red. Grab one from the Announcements at the beginning of the NIS/NAV Forum you are in, click on the name and it should take you to his profile and a click on there to Send a Private Message to this person. Choose one who has Admin against his name.......

I'm sure you'll be informative and not aggressive <g>  

I'd like to assure everyone that Norton Staff do read the messages in the forum and that they do have a system to flag where there has been no solution in a certain period of time. You might ask "They do?" but yes they do and we gurus who are users like you all flag messages for their attention too. But my guess is that all Norton Staff are still recovering from the final stages of finalizing the 2010 releases where they managed to do their jobs of programming quality control etc and still come in here and field what went on during the public Beta testing.

And yes I have flagged this thread ....

So look for some visible action, perhaps now after the weekend. But they aren't sitting on their fannies playing pinochle <g>

Hugh
Kudos0

Outlook 2003 works fine with NIS 2010 which I installed over the top of NIS 2009.  Seamless update too.  Always use CCleaner between installs/deinstals to clean up the junk which can affect things.
Kudos0

You are right to note that this is a workaround and not a solution for me or michaeldayla - so maybe the thread should not be marked "Solution".

The next post illustrates beautifully the support challenge faced by Symantec staff  - i.e. the next poster says that  "Outlook 2003 works with NIS 2010" for him. 

To resolve this apparent conflict of users' experience, they probably will now have to discover the difference(s) between individual PC set ups.  I don't think I'm up for that I'm afraid!  I guess my hope is there will be enough people experiencing and logging my particular issue and that consequently someone in Symantec looking at it, will have a "genius" moment and initiate a fix to resolve my problem.

Some challenge but I live in hope.

Lastly, I for one am sure that the folks in Symantec don't sit around doing nothing and empathise with their job.

Bon chance.

Kudos0

Thanks for the feedback -- I'm glad it works for you. That's the problem of troubleshooting .....

As a matter of interest -- on the use of CCleaner: I used it for the first  time when I had a problem with NIS 2009 and after using the Norton Removal Tool, as suggested by others, 2 times with a reboot between each. I was intrigued to find how much it found that was in fact left behind.

It is a fact that NRT deliberately does not remove all traces of a previous installation because if it did then anyone could use a 30 day Trial version for ever just by running NRT each time so I understand this and think it is reasonable. I suspect thta not even CCleaner will get around that protection that Norton build in.

But what puzzles me is that you say you installed NIS 2010 on top of 2009 using CCleaner between updates -- if you did that what benefit did you get from installing on top?

I'm amazed at the speed of installation of NIS 2010 when it is a clean install since I've done it on a new PC I've just built and it did indeed finish the ;job "with less than 1 minute to go" <g>

Hugh
Kudos0

Now that there have been a few hotfixes to NAV 2010, I thought I would give it one more try. Unfortunately, I had the same result as last time. Sent email from Outlook 2003 did not reach any destination. Thereafter, Outlook would hang at send/receive until reboot. Definitely looks like another AV solution for me when my subscription expires.
Kudos0

Hi, There are some known issues with Outlook 2003. To fix this problem, install the latest updates for Microsoft Outlook 2003. Please refer to the following link and follow the steps

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090901224525EN

Please get back to us with your results.

Kudos0

All Office/MS patches fully installed. Still, NAV2010 does not work. Since my subscription is up for renewal, I am just going to go with another program. Norton wants $40 for a year renewal nearly twice what I paid for a boxed version of NAV2009. I could purchase another boxed version of NAV2009 for $20 but have decided Norton just isn't worth the hassle. Definitely not going to renew through Norton and pay more for a program that does not work than I paid initially. There are several good, free alternatives to NAV. Time to explore those. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.