• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

error 300888-4

purchased renewal for security delux and came up against "error 300888-4". Is there a quick fix for this ?

thanks

PW

Replies

Kudos0

Re: error 300888-4

Hi @Peter Williss61,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. Could you please post a screen shot of error message? Also, please provide below details.

- Norton Product installed version number

- Operating System

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

This relates to an attempted install this morning, and with an error  message 300888-4. and advised to call 02081333005. I also messaged "Norton" from the error screen with my phone number. I received a call from 01924847145. The "Norton" help desk engineer stated they needed access to my machine to resolve the matter. I refused, and they said it  was the only was to resolve. I then spoke to PC world, who suggested the Norton.com/setup address was compromised, and I was probably linked to a scamming site. on advice from PC world, I accessed Norton using an other address and the update is now successfully completed. Perhaps Norton can warn users ?

Kudos0

Norton is aware of these scams.

Many have reported similar scams showing a Norton error, or a Windows error, trying to get users to contact the number in the window. They then want to access your computer and will tell you that you have major problems and need to pay $$$ to have them fix it. Either that or they will access your computer and steal your personal information, or infect your computer with malware.

These popups are often delivered to your browser from malformed ads on web sites you visit. The best defense against these popups seems to be installing an ad blocker in your browser.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks for the response.

Kudos0

I suppose I am just shocked that the very site used to provide internet security can be used by scammers in such a way. couldn't see any warning on the main Norton site either , so its unclear whats real or not. will have to take this as a lesson learned, but hope others can learn without giving these scumbags the ability to thrive.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.