• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Error 5013,3

I have a 2011 Dell XPS with Win7. I have been getting an error code 5013,3 and I followed your directions for that code but when I run the utility that you specify, I do not have the option (Base Filtering Engine) that you list. What do I do now? (services.msc)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error 5013,3

Hi Yank,

Please helpwith the same problem....when i click on BFE.reg on desktop it does not give any prompts to me as it is in wordpad 

as advised by Subash.....does it mean something is wrong? ALso, i cannot find BFE when i Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SYSTEM --> CurrentControlSet --> services

Do i need MS office before i double click BFE.reg?

Kudos1 Stats

varun1473 wrote:

Hi Yank,

Please helpwith the same problem....when i click on BFE.reg on desktop it does not give any prompts to me as it is in wordpad 

as advised by Subash.....does it mean something is wrong? ALso, i cannot find BFE when i Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SYSTEM --> CurrentControlSet --> services

Do i need MS office before i double click BFE.reg?

Hi varun473,

I think I am following what you are asking/doing.  On the BFE.reg on the desktop, when you double click it, it should open with a run box.  If you open it and it is a wordpad doc it was not saved correctly.

Let's try to get there a different way. Subash supplied this method and it may be easier for the less tech savy folks:

Go here:  https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=DDCCE2A7666EA200&id=DDCCE2A7666EA200%21130

Left Click on Base Filtering Engine.reg

On the Popup you get at the bottom of the page, left click on the down arrow and left click on Save As.  On the next page left click on Desktop and then SAVE.  This should place the Base Filtering Engine.reg shortcut on your desktop.  Double clicking it should not give you a wordpad file.  Then follow on with the instructions provided here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/m-p/613244/highlight/true#M62348

Kudos0

This is **bleep** pathetic!! I have had your product for many years, and with no problems but like usual in the computer world, the old saying if it is not broken do not fix it applies again!I wish you computer A-Holes would quit changing it for the worse!It has worked so fine till you change all of this!I cannot remove this god **bleep** Error 5013 3 even with your instructionsthere is no base filtering engine!For all you techs quit trying to be Steve **bleep**ing Jobs and just put out your god **bleep** product!My Subscription for norton is coming up and as of now I paln on cancelling your sorry  [removed]

[edit: Please keep post content clean per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

Kudos0

Well i am still waiting!Are you going to fix it or not?

Kudos1 Stats

Hi kcdoug,

I'm sorry this issue has angered you to such a degree, and I can understand your frustration. In the other thread you replied to, there was a post to contact our customer support team via chat. I highly recommend that you contact them to help resolve this issue quickly. Be sure to tell them the error code you're receiving.

http://www.norton.com/chat

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

thanks to your instruktions 5013,3 is history now. Worked perfektly.

Kudos0

Could you go into more detail steps from your post on 12-10-2011, 12:34 AM.  I’m don’t know how to copy the BFE registry entries from a different machine.  Or do I copy the BFE.TXT 363 KB file from you attachment?  And how do I check the registry?  I have never done this before.  I’m good at following step by step instructions so any small detail in the process would help.

Kudos0

holidayfinn wrote:

Could you go into more detail steps from your post on 12-10-2011, 12:34 AM.  I’m don’t know how to copy the BFE registry entries from a different machine.  Or do I copy the BFE.TXT 363 KB file from you attachment?  And how do I check the registry?  I have never done this before.  I’m good at following step by step instructions so any small detail in the process would help.

Let's try to get there a different way. Subash supplied this method and it may be easier for the less tech savy folks:

Go here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=DDCCE2A7666EA200&id=DDCCE2A7666EA200%21130

On the Popup you get at the bottom of the page, left click on the down arrow and left click on Save As. On the next page left click on Desktop and then SAVE. This should place the Base Filtering Engine.reg shortcut on your desktop. Double clicking it should not give you a wordpad file. Then follow on with the instructions provided here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/m-p/613244/highlight/true#M62348

Any questions, you know where to find us.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Yank and Subash,

Thanks a lot for your help guys.......solution worked perfectly fine........million thanks

Kudos0

It is still a text file?

Kudos0

[Let's try to get there a different way. Subash supplied this method and it may be easier for the less tech savy folks:

Go here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=DDCCE2A7666EA200&id=DDCCE2A7666EA200%21130

On the Popup you get at the bottom of the page, left click on the down arrow and left click on Save As. On the next page left click on Desktop and then SAVE. This should place the Base Filtering Engine.reg shortcut on your desktop. Double clicking it should not give you a wordpad file. Then follow on with the instructions provided here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/m-p/613244/highlight/true#M62348]

The skydrive link is to a text file.

You need to change the file extension to "reg". The file with extension should be "BFE.reg". If the file extension isn't shown - go to Tools/Folder options/View and unclick "Hide extensions for known file types".

I did this and then followed the instructions. Problem solved! Thanks for the help!

Kudos0

HelpMeNowPlease wrote:

[left click on Desktop and then SAVE. This should place the Base Filtering Engine.reg shortcut on your desktop. Double clicking it should not give you a wordpad file.]

You need to change the file extension to "reg". If the file extension isn't shown - go to Tools/Folder options/View and unclick "Hide extensions for known file types.

If you go to either of my two most recent posts, you will see I am now guiding folks away from the original attachment that needed to be changed to a .reg file and instead am pointing them to an already exsisting .reg file that only needs to be saved to the desktop and double clicked.  I did this as it seems much easier for those less tech savy folks to follow.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/m-p/618891/highlight/true#M62799

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/m-p/623819/highlight/true#M63278

Kudos0

I followed the directions and found the Base Filtering Enging.  In the space to the left it said "Start".  When I clicked Start it said Error 5,  Access Denied and that it could not start services on local computer,  I had previously turned off the Tampering filter in Norton.  What now!!????

Kudos0

Tried this fix, and now i get a blue screen IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error when starting Windows. I plan to reinstall Windows as this mess just keeps going from bad to worse.

Kudos0

Hi Forbfoto

It  seems like you didn't completed the Permission giving part. Please follow the Instructions to give permission to te BFE file in registry.

Hi schulze

If you Hadn't removed Norton before following the instructions you will end up getting Blue Screen. Try to get into safe mode with Networking, then remove Norton and follow the instructions.

Kudos0

I did not see anything reqyesting permission.  I just removed the check from the Tamper boc in Norton settings and went right to services.msc, highlited Base Filtering System and clicked on Start.  It then gave me the error 5:  Access denied.

Kudos2 Stats

Forbfoto wrote:

I did not see anything reqyesting permission.  I just removed the check from the Tamper boc in Norton settings and went right to services.msc, highlited Base Filtering System and clicked on Start.  It then gave me the error 5:  Access denied.

Subash wants you to do the following:

Open Run(Win key + r)->Type regedit

7. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SYSTEM --> CurrentControlSet --> services --> BFE

8. Right click on the BFE select Permissions-> Add --> Advanced --> Find now

9. Among the list select Everyone. (Check the below image for reference)

10. OK --> OK --> Put a check mark next to Full Control --> OK

11. Restart the Computer

12. Install your Norton Product from here.

13. Run Live Update.

Kudos0

Thank you!  That did the trick.

Kudos0

This solution works correctly and adds BFE back to the registry. Seems kinda sorry though that a liveupdate or hotfix hasn't addressed this problem already and also why subscribers haven't been notified. A simple email and link would have sufficed!!

Kudos0

Just encountered same problem this morning.

I have followed instructions up to the point where I am to enter regedit into the Run command. When I eneter regedit I only receive a message from the virus asking me to proceed protected or unprotected. I am unable to advance to the following instruction of selecting HKEY_LOCAL etc...

Is there a possible workaround to this hangup?

Thanks for any info.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi

Create a New User Administrator account and try the steps.

Kudos0

I also am trying to clear this with the instructions and get stuck when it tells me to double click on the base fitering engine as it's not an option.  What do I do now?  Is my computer secure or not?

Thanks

Leigh

Kudos0

what attached file are you talking about?  please respond

Kudos0

scott1980 wrote:

what attached file are you talking about?  please respond

The attached fle was omitted, but this is an alternate method that Subash provided that I feel is easier.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Error-5013-3/m-p/623819/highlight/true#M63278

Kudos0

Thanks!  It worked!

Kudos0

Hi, I followed all of the instructions exactly, and I managed to get  BFE back in the registry, and I believe I set the permissions correctly, however that does not seemed to have fixed my problems. To clarify, my Norton seems to be working perfectly fine now, but everything else in my computer seems to be in shambles.

I know it's all from the same Virus, or at least I believed and assumed so since it all hit at the same time. According to Norton my computer is clean, so I had thought fixing the BFE in the Registry would take of the related problems, or at least some of them, but it didn't. Does this mean I have done something incorrectly or missed a step? I saw in the first set of instructions we were told to add the name NT Service/BFE, however my computer wouldn't let me. I didn't worry about this because the second set of instructions offered by Subash seemed to work, seemed all inclusive, and didn't mention anything about the NT Service/BFE, did I miss a way to integrate the two posts?

I can't do anything with my Firewall, or start Windows Security Center Service. I can't find any of my files, although all my music in itunes still play fine, so I know it's all still in there. Even my desktop icons and everything from my start menu are gone. Some programs start fine when I search for them and others, Skype for example, seem to be gone altogether. Are these problems all related, or all these individual issues I am going to need to tackle one by one? Or do I need to just get my disc and start over? (That would be really, really lame and is absolutely my last resort.)

I'm Running Norton 360 fully updated, I only got it last night to get rid of this stupid virus. I'm on a brand new Dell Insprion running Windows 7 that I got a couple weeks ago as well, if that is relevant information. (I know the fact I got it a couple weeks ago really isn't, but it makes all of this a lot more frustrating.)

Any help would be really appreciated.

Kudos0

IMHO, in view if all your problems you may be better off going directly to a malware removal forum for assistance.

If you decide to try another forum, here are some places where a real malware expert can work with you one-on-one in real time to dig these things out. Some of our best folks here have checked them out to make sure that they are capable, and competent to deal with rootkits and other nasties. Most of them handle tricky Windows problems as well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/
http://forums.whatthetech.com/
http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/6-help-my-pc-is-infected/

Please post back with results.

Kudos0

Forgive me, but where is the "attached file" you reffer to in the step by step instructions?

Kudos0

BFE.TXT  "attached file"

Please see this message ~ credit yank

Kudos0

The attached fle was omitted, but this is an alternate method that Subash provided that I feel is easier to use.

<edit> Guess I was typing too slow again! <edit>

Kudos0

BRUTE FORCE SOLUTION:

I spent hours trying to find something that works and ended up just figuring out how to remove it myself the simplest way - removing the files that cause the popup to occur.

Method:

1. Boot computer in safe mode (google this to figure out how to)

2. Go to C:\ --> program files --> norton 360 folder. Search for hsplayer.exe and hsplayer.dat (Use the search bar at the top to find these files). Delete these files. 

3. Restart computer

4. Enjoy :). 

If this worked, please press kudos button so people will know that there is an easier way instead of having to spend hours uninstalling, rebooting and changing the registry doing it the other way.

Kudos1 Stats

whylolzz wrote:

BRUTE FORCE SOLUTION:

I spent hours trying to find something that works and ended up just figuring out how to remove it myself the simplest way - removing the files that cause the popup to occur.

Please try running One Click Support / Auto Fix via Support. 

While I'm not familiar w 360.  I think hsplayer.exe is/was related to One Click Support w NIS

Kudos1 Stats

Hi

If something is causing trouble then try to fix it. If no solution is available then remove it, removing something that can be fixed will do no good. Removing hsplayer.exe might cause instability and the user end up getting into more trouble.

Kudos0

Hi Prasanna,

Thanks for the information. I got this problem whilst installing Norton Internet Security 19.5.1.2 on my son's Dell laptop running Windows 7 service pack 1. I managed to export the BFE key from my desktop and import into the registry on the laptop.

Cheers

Kudos0

This is the problem with these tech forums.  All of you techs think that everyone knows what you are talking about. Some of us have no knowledge of what you are talking about whatso ever!   Please try explaining this in simpler terms and how we are able to find the necessary components to resolve this issue.

Kudos0

Hi Diamond

Sorry for the trouble you're havin. If you've difficulties in following the Instructions, you can contact our support through chat and they can fix it for you.

Kudos0

I'm sorry to bother you, but step # 3 says to save the attached file to my Desktop. I did not see any file attached to your message.

Could you please point me to it? Thanks very much. Joe Cavanagh

Kudos0

Hi

Welcome and sorry I had attached the text file in this post. Save it and then change the extension from .txt to .reg .

Kudos0

Hi Subash,

I'm following your instructions from page 2 and I followed the first 2 steps. Now I just saved that file to my desktop and renamed it, but when I double clicked it I didn't get any prompts, and when I go into regedt and followed your instructions further BFE isn't in there. What did I do wrong, help!

Kudos0

Hi

Please follow the below Instructions to make the File Extensions Visible and then change that Files extension to .reg

If you are using Windows7/Windows Vista:

Open My Computer

Click “Organize”, then click “Folder and search options”.

Click the “View” tab. Scroll down until you see “Hide extensions for known file types”, un-check this line here by clicking on the check box.

Click “OK” and now your file extensions will now longer be hidden.

if you are using Windows XP:

Open My Computer

Select the View menu, & then select Options.

On the View tab, uncheck the box next to Hide file extensions for known file types.

Try this and let me know. If you've difficulties in following the Instructions at any point of you can contact our Support.

Kudos0

i tried following your instructions and do not have a BFE entry in my registry.

I am on a win 7 x64 home premium hp pavilion.  i am using Norton Security Suite version 5.2.1.3, Media SKU 21164128, Current SKU 21164128.  This came from my internet providor, Comcast.  And up until windows updated on the 11th, everything was working fine.

I followed your instructions and do not have a BFE entry in my registry, and also do not have a service labeled Base-Filtering Engine.

I still truly believe this is a conflict between windows and the norton update since 5.1.0.29 because prior to that norton update, everything was perfect.

I even made sure the file extensions were not hidden to find the .reg files, and still I get that same error 5013,3.  I have run that NPE.exe in regular mode as well as safe mode w/networking.  nothing comes up wrong. 

I have done a system restore to prior to 4/11 and still I get that same error.... which makes me believe it is a norton / windows conflict error. 

Perhaps Symantic should get their heads with the Windows guyz to figure this out....

this should have been resolved by Symantic by now, nearly a whole MONTH later!  and I USED TO be a computer geek but left when XP came out due to health issues.  And here I find myself fixing issues that the companies who produce the softwares SHOULD be doing.

and the ONLY reason why I replied is that you seem to feel your answer is the get-all in fixing it, but alas IT DOES NOT. 

Seeing as you work for Symantic, perhaps back to the drawing board since this issue is aparently NOT working.

no need to reply as I'm sick of this whole ordeal.

Kudos0

Using NIS 2012 on Win7 UltimateRecently started getting this pop-up error messageRead several posts re this and none helpedDid not have Base Filtering Engine under "Services nor was there a BFE file in the registry..  Googled BFE missing and got following link.

http://www.hageltech.com/blog/2012/02/07/base-filtering-engine-problems.html

Can download the BFE.reg file for Win7 or vista from above siteSave it and once downloaded, run the .reg file  &  adds it to the registry (if missing) or repairs itFollow instructions from above link to give "permissions to everyone".  After did this, rebooted

puter and the "Base Filtering Engine" was now under "Services" and auto set to run automatically. Did not have to uninstall Norton to do this or run the Power Eraser program.

No more pop-up error when using NortonHope this helps others with same problem.

Kudos0

Subash,

I saved the REG file to my desktop.  I did run it (by clcking "OK" to allow Registry Editor to change files on my computer).

A very quick dialog window popped-up and disappeared.  Thus, I assumed something happened in the background.

I did the "RUN" function and typed "REGEDIT."

Nothing happens.  The computer appears to "think about it" for a split second, but no windows pop-up.

I can never get to steps 7-thru-10.

I have gone to "services.msc" to view the services avail.  BFE still does NOT appear.

I've restarted my PC multiple times after running the BFE.reg file multiple times.  No luck.

Thanks,

Ray

Kudos0

Hi Ray Please create a New Administrator Account and then try to open Regedit . Let us know how it goes.
Kudos1 Stats

Ya'all know what? No. No, I'm not paying for a product that then requires me to go tinkering around in my laptop in order to make it work properly. It appears that you all have had this error for years and you can't fix it? How the eff do you expect me to trust your programming then to protect my laptop?

Here's what I want: I want a simple method by which to get my money back so that I can buy a product that actually works when I install it.

and in a perfect world, how about you all post a warning that this product does not work for Windows 7 under these conditions.....

I am not paying for the privilege of troubleshooting your product and neither should anyone else.

Kudos1 Stats

Ok first let me say that the BFE install, the NPE.exe and then the virus scan after all that worked so far.  At least I haven't had the window pop up since I followed the steps to run the NPE (Norton Power Eraser) and then followed the install of the (BFE) Base Filtering Engine.  Not holding my breath it fixed it but we'll see.  Anyway  here's my beef about this problem.  I called the Norton Live Support number and waited for 20 minutes on hold until some foreign speaking dingbat that knows nothing about anything other than to ask a bunch of stupid questions pertaining to my operating system, my name, what Norton product I have and my email address.  Anyway if I buy ANY product and it states that I am entited to a year of FREE support for the product, that is exactly what I expect to get with the product I just purchased.

I realize that Norton has the unrelenting task of discovering and fixing viruses all the time on a 24/7 basis since the evil and destuctive computer nerds out there have nothing better to do with their time than to screw with the rest of us and our computers, but when I am told that this 5013,3 error message must be sent to Norton's "extended" service technicians and that there will be a fee for this transfer from the miniscule question asking pest that answered the support line to these super Norton heroes that have all the answers to how to truly fix the Norton products, I had to ask the pest this simple question, "Why am I being charged a fee to be transferred to the super Norton heroes when my product said I was entitled to "FREE" support for it?"  Now I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer by any means, but I am smart enough to know that if a company says I have FREE support for their product, then that is EXACTLY what I expect and so does EVERYONE else who buys their product.  We don't expect to be told that our FREE support is limited to the simplified morons that simply ask a bunch of questions and do nothing to help resolve the issue you originally called about, except to tell you that you are going to be CHARGED to get your problem fixed.  Norton, rid us all of the simplified morons that answer your tech support lines and ask nothing but questions and replace them with people who actually know how to fix your programs and for FREE as you state we are entitled to when we purchase your products!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos0

angel33360 wrote:

I called the Norton Live Support number and waited for 20 minutes on hold until some foreign speaking dingbat that knows nothing about anything other than to ask a bunch of stupid questions pertaining to my operating system, my name, what Norton product I have and my email address.

It sounds like you may have called NortonLive Services, which provides technical assistance as a paid service to anyone, rather than Norton Customer Support, which offers free product support for Norton customers.  Norton VIrus Removal, unless you buy one of the new product/service packages like Norton One, is always fee based, but technical help with your product should be free.

Kudos0

Can someone please help? Ok, so I can't find the Base Filtering Engine service, so I tried contacting Microsoft support, but it didn't help much. Also, I can't seem to turn on my firewall. Due to some error/virus.

This is depressing D;

Kudos0

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

I had the same problem due to a rogue.This helped me

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/5366225a-46e7-4d6c-a389-8bd18a5c3aad

Used the registry keys given here

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.