• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Error 503 All backends failed or unhealthy

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error 503 All backends failed or unhealthy

(Sorry, the picture ended up misplaced... Please see it in the previous message space, above.)

Sporadically, I started getting the following error message when I try to access a message in the Norton Forums from the respective notice I receive at my Outlook.com mail inbox.

It started today, but it popped up several times already. The only way out seems to be to keep attempting until eventually I get to the thread. Then, once in the thread, the same error comes up when I click to change page, either forward or back.

Is anyone familiar with this problem and/or any solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos0

Hi bjm,

Thanks for alerting me about the related thread. It's interesting that this other thread was also started today. Unfortunately, there's nothing in there that I could use as help.

It seems to be also of interest that it only pops up when trying to reach the Norton Forums from a link received by email, as I had mentioned before. Would this provide any useful hint?

Meanwhile, I also found this information in Google:

https://docs.fastly.com/guides/debugging/common-503-errors

503 All Backends Failed or Unhealthy

This occurs when either all the backends associated with a director are unhealthy or we tried to fetch information from multiple backends in a director and they all failed with the same error.

This site also makes reference to a piece of software called "Varnish".  This name appears in the body of the error message, as can be seen in the picture t the beginning of this thread. 

The problem is that I am not competent enough for fully understanding what is said in the site about Varnish, much less to know how to go about a possible solution. I mean, the problem is irregularly intermittent, like I mentioned, sometimes appearing for one or for several clicks in a row, then maybe allowing for several successful attempts, then returning, for no apparent reason or order.

I wonder if this may be (just maybe) in any way related to my recent upgrade to Firefox 46.0

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Kudos1 Stats

FWIW, I've seen 503 too,...F5 or second click on email link lands okay. 
Thinking temporary network infrastructure issue....server is busy or maintenance.

Kudos0

Thanks for sharing the information. It does provide at least the comfort of not being alone...

Now, what about my suspicion about a possible link to FF-46? Maybe, or not at all?...

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos0

...And by that you mean, of course, Symantec's server, don't you? Or can it be some other server "somewhere out there"... Say, in a cloud near you???...

Kudos1 Stats

It is not FF related. FF is not even installed on my machine.

I also think it can be a 503 server error. When I clicked from the notifying email without being logged in I got the error most times. I logged in a few minutes ago, clicked the links on those same notifying emails and pages opened correctly..... so far.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos1 Stats

we're communicating okay..... so, no worries.

Kudos0

So, the issue is recent and fairly widespread, it seems.

When you say "server" what server do you think is involved?

The site I consulted (and the text of the error message itself) makes reference to the "Cache"... Would this be my system's cache or not likely?

I tested it and the error pops up regardless of being logged in or not. 

Possible malware? Hope not... Also ran Malwarebytes and did a full Norton check and they both came out clean.

Kudos1 Stats

When I clicked from the notifying email without being logged in I got the error most times. I logged in a few minutes ago, clicked the links on those same notifying emails and pages opened correctly..... so far.

......It has just happened again twice while I'm still logged in

I think it could be a Norton server/s error but I may be wrong.

Also the text of the error message I see makes reference to the "Cache" so IMHO it shouldn't be related to a specific system's cache.... maybe the Varnish cache server?

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

After doing a Forum Search, I have seen that I have seen this Guru mediation with varnish years ago. I also don't use Firefox, so it isn't related to Firefox. I read that it could be related to a slow network. I have a fast network, but we all do get network bottlenecks from time to time. I don't remember having had that error, but I did just see a thread when I mentioned that I had seen it. There was some mention back then that it could be a server timeout, but there was no solution back then either.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hello all,

Thanks for your input. 

One more piece of information FWIW:

I use Windows 10 in one of my computers and Windows 7 in one other. The email provider (Outlook.com) is the same. The problem shows up equally in both of them. I also notice that when doing a quick double-click on the link it seems to work fine, at least most of the times.

And one other question:

As previously mentioned, the last line in the error message reads "Varnish cache server". If, as suggested by Rainbow_2, this happens to be the Varnish servers, what would be the most proper course of action going forward?

Thanks. 

Kudos1 Stats

Hi LynYu,

It's happening again today, and since this is occurring - at least in my case - only with links in email notifications from Norton Forums, I have a feeling that the issue could be just Norton related. Therefore I'd leave this until a Forum Adm is back from the weekend and hopefully this can be fixed.  

EDIT: I tried just now after I posted the above - Some of the links which earlier gave the Error 503 now open correctly while others which previously did take to the thread now give the Error 503

Kudos1 Stats

That's precisely what is happening here on my side. It does not happen all the time on each individual link. It's sort of a continued "on again" "off again" kind of situation. But because it is happening only with the links to the Norton Forums, the first idea that came to my mind was the possible connection to the Norton's servers.

It's not really a major deal, especially if if keeps working most of the times when you do the "double-click", but it's still a big annoyance. Yes, let's hope this will be fixed soon.

Thanks. 

Kudos1 Stats

Me too ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for your input and sorry to hear that you were one of the "chosen", man...

Like they say, "what goes around, comes around"...

Let's hope for a rapid and full identification of the source and a quick solution.

Kudos2 Stats

I've also been seeing this same Error 503 All backends failed or unhealthy message appear randomly for the past few days when I click on hyperlink in a notification e-mail from the Norton Community.

I don't know if it's relevant, but when the page displays finally displays correctly in the Norton community I can see link address messages flashing in the bottom-left corner of the page that refer to connections to oms.symantec.com and nexus.ensighten.com (e.g., Connected to nexus.ensighten.com...).  When I get an Error 503 message these server connection messages never appear so it's possible that one (or both) of these servers is a cache server (i.e., used to save web pages locally to speed up page rendering in the forum) that is having connection problems.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v46.0 * NIS v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

Welcome to the club...   

And many thanks for sharing your great observations, my friend... I tried to see it myself, and yes, you can see the words passing fast but they are written in a very small font and my eyes used to deliver better than they do now...

Anyways, of course, in my ignorance, I cannot tell much about their relevance, but I dare say that, at the very least, they do not preclude or contradict the (almost settled) theory that links the issue to Symantec's servers, do they?

And thanks for the great picture you inserted, something that I seem unable to master, so I have to resign myself to add a link that delivers a very low quality .pdf image.  

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

lmacri:

I've also been seeing this same Error 503 All backends failed or unhealthy message appear randomly for the past few days when I click on hyperlink in a notification e-mail from the Norton Community.

I forgot to mention that I've also seen these Error 503 All backends failed or unhealthy messages when I try to view someone's user profile by clicking on their username in their forum badge or in the Who's Online box.  So far I've only noticed this particular problem when I'm logged out of the forum, but I haven't really tested that fully.

I've complained in the past about the cache servers and outdated information on webpages if I browse the Norton Community without logging in (see Symantec employee Kevin's response about the cache servers and webpage refresh rates in the thread State of the Forums) so this might be a problem with Symantec's CDN (Content Delivery Network) that affects users in certain geographical locations more than others.  I'm located in Canada, and I believe Rainbow_2 is in located in Italy.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v46.0 * NIS v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos2 Stats

LinYu2:

Hi Imacri,

[…]

And thanks for the great picture you inserted, something that I seem unable to master, so I have to resign myself to add a link that delivers a very low quality .pdf image.  

Please see these instructions by Andmike How to post an image in the forums .

Kudos0

Following your links, I took a look at the (long) thread about "State of the Forums", namely at the explanation provided by the Administrator Kevin (incidentally, one year to the day today...) 

This is the first time it happened to me. And it's happening now while I am in Portugal never having happened in the US while I stay most of the time. So, from what Kevin wrote and from what you suggest, I gather that it may affect some geographical areas more than others depending on the intensity of traffic and the location of the server a particular individual is using, is this correct?

If so, and not knowing the locations of the other users who posted here, if we just consider Canada, Portugal and Italy alone, it seems to me that we've got already a huge triangulation for us to be using the same server, I would say... Or am I missing something?

I can also confirm that, as far as I have noticed, it makes no difference whether your logged in or out. I have encountered the problem in both situations.

Thanks for your insights and continued help.

Kudos0

Rainbow_2 wrote:

Please see these instructions by Andmike How to post an image in the forums .

Great help, Rainbow_2, thank you very much!  

Kudos0

You are welcome!

Kudos0

LinYu2:
...If so, and not knowing the locations of the other users who posted here, if we just consider Canada, Portugal and Italy alone, it seems to me that we've got already a huge triangulation for us to be using the same server, I would say... 

Other users who posted here bjm_, floplot and Hugh are all from the States as far as I know although from different areas and I wonder (doubt) whether we are all using the same server? Perhaps the issue involves more servers in different areas..... 

Kudos0

Yes I'm in Central Florida ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Yeah... A widespread miniature global community, I would call it...

Now, in the eyes of the layman, it seems unlikely that we would be all using the same server. So, let's hope we can get some news by the end of day tomorrow or next?... Anyone in a position to putting in a "good word"?... 

Kudos0

Googling on the wordings in the error message at least taught me that in this case "Varnish" is a noun and not a verb.

I don't mind being told to scrub a cache but having to varnish it is really too much to ask a user ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello

This is the Flu season---are not the servers entitled to get the Flu also since all backends failed or are unhealthy????

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

flo

They could try standing up .....?

Hugh
Kudos0

well, my freshly factory-restored and updated win7 desktop is getting this error only on this site, so far. never had this error ever. thought it was my machine at first.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello people...

Well, that's not what I had in mind when I spoke about "putting in a good word", but that's fine... I meant to suggest a good word to, say, a friendly ear at Symantec...So, I guess we'll take this outbreak (not of the flu, of course, but of good spirits) as a good omen and a promising sign that something nice will be happening today.  Agreed?...

Cheers! I'm very hopeful!...

Kudos1 Stats

LinYu2

... I meant to suggest a good word to, say, a friendly ear at Symantec...

Don't worry -- that's been done by gurus in our own discussions over the weekend and several of Norton management notified.

If as we all seem to think, "it's not us it's them" be certain that it must be causing them more problems than we experience so it will get fixed! There's less staff at weekends so today is catchup time and it will get a reaction.

My links here worked first time this morning but some from yesterday gave the 503 error! That's odd. But I only had two email advisories from Norton this morning so it may just be chance as it was previously.

Hugh
Kudos1 Stats

It's fixed! 

Kudos0

Great! And thanks for your involvement. Is it impolite to say that that's what Gurus are for?...

Now, like you say, in the "battle front" I can still observe a few sporadic shots... But I admit they may come from a few renegades left behind by the retreating enemy... 

In truth, I agree with you on that the incidence of the error is much more infrequent than during the weekend. So, to remain on a positive note, I hope the problem has been identified and taken care of for good.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Kudos0

I had received the error earlier today, but now, right after finishing my previous post, I clicked on Rainbow_2's message link and was greeted by the now infamous 503...

Well, let's give'm some time. They may be experiencing a greater hardship than ours which is relatively minor. Or the "renegades" may be too stubborn to be easily convinced to lay arms...

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

LinYu2:
... Is it impolite to say that that's what Gurus are for?... 

No, not at all... maybe we could say "that that's what Gurus are also for?"

Have a great day too.

Kudos0

Yes, indeed... I fully agree. 

Thanks!

Kudos0

LinYu

Me too!

Hugh
Kudos0

OK, Hugh, I understand you are "too" in the same straights as I am... Let me, then, joke a bit and guess a bit so that we can dissipate or shoo out some stress...

So, as I see it, it's "You too", "Me too"... and "who else too"?...

Whatever happened to all others?  Or are they in different "triangulation" servers" ?...

For fairness' sake, are we all equally "too" or are some of us more "too" than others" ?...

Accepted Solution
Kudos4 Stats

Hi folks, our dev team has made some fixes - can you tell me if you're still seeing this issue? If so, please post a screenshot of the error, and the URL you were trying to access. Thanks.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for bringing out the good news!

After receiving an email message announcing your post, I have tried a number of times to different links and the truth is... No issue encountered.

As you are certainly aware, this was an "On-and-Off" kind of situation, so with this in mind, I would say that the problem may have been finally fixed.  I hope that is definitely the case. Not a major issue, as I said before, but a sizable nuisance...

Thanks again and have a good day.

Kudos0

LinYu

There's more too all this than we know ....

Hugh
Kudos0

I believe you too, that's for sure ...But I realize I'm off the loop... My own fault, though... Never been too good at reading the cards...

Kudos0

It appears that we can now definitively say the issue is gone for good, which obliges me to ask the following and last question...

-- I opened this thread with the indication that a solution was required; I understand there have been more than one individual involved (possibly in varying degrees) in the quest for a response from Symantec's development team; I wished to register the solution "award" to all who were actively involved but, unfortunately, I can give it to only one single person, and I want to be fair. 

The question, then, is: To whom should I send the "Solved" award?... 

Recommendations are very welcome!

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos1 Stats

Certainly Tony and the crew.

Hugh
Kudos0

OK, guys. You were very gracious and admirably self-deprecating. Here is what I think:

Tony is certainly one good possibility, although -- without taking away any merit he rightly deserves -- he acted here in his quality of a Symantec representative and, as such, so acted the development "crew", who actually made, tested and applied the fixes... Tony also brought us the good news...They all do deserve our appreciation and they may also receive other performance rewards as a result of a job well done -- and this is, after all, an inherent part of their jobs well done... Nothing new here, all this is just fine and fair.

But what about those of you who are helping here, gratis, just for the sake of helping?... Let's be clear, you people invest your dedication, your time and your patience, and the only reward you can get, AFAIK, besides your own inner satisfaction, may be just the simple gestures of recognition from the part of those who are helped. We are talking here about the most basic gestures of gratitude, just like as if saying -- "Thank you, and here is a tiny token of my deep appreciation..."

Honestly, this is how I see it. But considering that in this case, and to the extent that we all had the same issue and depended on Symantec to have it resolved, I will give it to Tony on your recommendation, on his own merit and on the merits of those from the development team who got involved...

Cheers and many thanks to ALL.

Kudos0

Bad news.  I just had a few more of these Error 503 messages while I was trying to post in the forum this afternoon but the text is slightly different today i.e., "Error 503 Backend is unhealthy" (and not "Error 503 All backends failed or unhealthy").

The first error came when I tried to post a reply in Dave1776's thread Secure Connection Failed at https://community.norton.com/en/forums/secure-connection-failed-0.  I don't know if it's significant, but this first composed message included a hyperlink that I copied and pasted from an older thread.  When I clicked the "Save" button to try to post my reply the Error 503 message was displayed and my reply never appeared in the thread.  I also noticed that I was logged out of the forum after I hit the "Save" button.

I immediately received a second Error 503 message when I clicked the "Log In" link to log back into the forum:

I waited a few minutes and was eventually able to log into the forum and post my reply.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v46.0.1 * NIS v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks @lmacri. It looks like this is was solved pretty quickly, and in talking with the dev team, is a separate issue from the one seen last weekend. I appreciate the update though, and I'm glad it's working well for you now.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.