• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Error 8504,4

I just got back on line after logging off and shutting down. I boot computer and go to a web page I need to sign in to. Notice that Identity Safe was not dropping down or prompting me for my password so it can fill in form, so I clicked on the button and nothing happened. So I click on NIS 09 to open and see what's up and I get this error: UNABLE TO OPEN THIS NORTON PRODUCT (8504,4) this somehow opened up ONE click support and that is what  it said plus Unable to UNINSTALL! I do not want to uninstall. I just clicked on NSW BE 2008 and it popped up OK. I just upgraded to NIS 2009 10/14/08  and I'm am happy with the product,Have been for years. What happened to NIS2009??? I did check Panel Control: add/remove prog. It says its still there. Please advise. Thanks.

Windows XP Home Ed.

SP3

IE7

Windows7 64 bitIE 8; Firefox v. 3.6.8NIS 2010; MBAM v.1.46; SAS v.4.34.1; SpywareBlaster

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error 8504,4

I just got back on line after logging off and shutting down. I boot computer and go to a web page I need to sign in to. Notice that Identity Safe was not dropping down or prompting me for my password so it can fill in form, so I clicked on the button and nothing happened. So I click on NIS 09 to open and see what's up and I get this error: UNABLE TO OPEN THIS NORTON PRODUCT (8504,4) this somehow opened up ONE click support and that is what  it said plus Unable to UNINSTALL! I do not want to uninstall. I just clicked on NSW BE 2008 and it popped up OK. I just upgraded to NIS 2009 10/14/08  and I'm am happy with the product,Have been for years. What happened to NIS2009??? I did check Panel Control: add/remove prog. It says its still there. Please advise. Thanks.

Windows XP Home Ed.

SP3

IE7

Windows7 64 bitIE 8; Firefox v. 3.6.8NIS 2010; MBAM v.1.46; SAS v.4.34.1; SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

I tried to open NIS. One Click Support comes up with the error 8504,4.  it also gives instricions for Norton Tool Removal. Since I also have NSW BE 2008, should I remove EVERYTHING? and then reinstall everthing agsin? Yes, I have the keys. But, I can't find anything for reinstalling NSW. Also if I reinstall NSW BE, will Liveupdate and Liveupdate Notice reinstall with NSW BE??  Please advice. I really can't see doing anything until I know what will happen. Thank You.
Kudos0

There are other threads about this. NSW and NIS 2009 are incompatible.
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Kudos1 Stats

Diesel, remember that the incompatibility between NSW and NIS 2009 has been fixed.  If you run Live Update through NSW it will apply the fix.

Message Edited by mijcar on 10-18-2008 10:00 PM
mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Didnt know that but now I do.
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Kudos0

I just started receiving this error today.  It happens when I click send/receive in Outlook 2007.  As soon as send/receive happens the main window for Internet Security 2009 disappears and the program will no longer launch.  This used to work fine.  The only thing I can think of that's changed recently is that latest Microsoft security updates.  The problem of it crashing is VERY repeatable.  3 uninstall/reinstalls using the removal tool doesn't fix anything.  My system is XP SP3.  Internet Security 2009 is the only Norton product I have installed
Kudos0

The latest Patch Tueday killed my NIS 2009 also. I simply uninstalled and rebooted. Used NRT and rebooted. Used CCleaner registry cleaner and rebooted. Installed NIS 2009 and back to normal. I am not using NSW.
Kudos0

Interesting.  I've been chatting with support and using the Norton removal tool all night and it still will not work....Outlook send/receive crashes NIS 2009 everytime.  This is driving me crazy because it worked fine up until a few days ago.

Kudos0

Delete all Symantec Related Files:

1.  All Users/Symantec Temp. Files
  2.  All Users/Symantec
  3.  All Users/Norton
  4.  All Users/Norton Installer
  5. start>run>regedit>HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>delete "Norton" and "Symantec"
  6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>delete "Norton" and "Symantec"

Repeat steps 1-4 for all users on your computer. For Steps 5-6, make sure that you are on your local administrator account.Then:

1.  Run Norton Removal Tool.
  2.  Boot in Safe Mode and run the Norton Removal Tool, again
  3.  Install NIS09.
Kudos0

I uninstalled NIS09 and rebooted. I reinstalled NIS and rebooted. So far so good.
Kudos0

Did you run Live Update for NSW yet like stated by mijcar?
Kudos0

Dieselman743 wrote:
No, I have not. Yet. I'll get right on that. Dieselman. Thanks for the reminder.
Kudos0

Dieselman743 wrote:

Delete all Symantec Related Files:

1.  All Users/Symantec Temp. Files
  2.  All Users/Symantec
  3.  All Users/Norton
  4.  All Users/Norton Installer
  5. start>run>regedit>HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>delete "Norton" and "Symantec"
  6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>delete "Norton" and "Symantec"

Repeat steps 1-4 for all users on your computer. For Steps 5-6, make sure that you are on your local administrator account.Then:

1.  Run Norton Removal Tool.
  2.  Boot in Safe Mode and run the Norton Removal Tool, again
  3.  Install NIS09.

Hi this is Tech0utsider ^

You might want to uninstall Norton via the Add/Remove programs panel first, as those files will be in use. =D

=\
Kudos0

This will be the last time I write until possibly tonight. Five times now I have written and it keeps sending me to AUTHENTICATION FAILED. So if it happens again I will log off and get away from this for a while. Its been 7 hours since was going to update.

Gypsygrace wrote:

Dieselman743 wrote:
No, I have not. Yet. I'll get right on that. Dieselman. Thanks for the reminder.

I discovered that There was no LIVEUPDATE to update NSW BE2008. I followed a link found within these boards, to download LIVEUPDATE. It appeared to go smoothly except, a time out on connection which went on for hours since I was unable to be here. There still is no proof of LIVEUPDATE for NSW BE 2008.

Kudos0

Grace,

There is not supposed to be a Live Update for NSW BE.  NSW is not strictly non-security.  It works collaboratively with NIS, which is itself responsible for security and security updates.  The fix to make the two work together consisted in essence of two parts:

1.  Remove the Norton Security Center component of NSW, since NIS is now the security center.

2.  Remove Live Update for NSW since there won't be any further servicing of that product.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Thank you Dieselman743

I followed your advice and finally have a working system again.  Always amazes me that the community had more knowledge than any support line.

Thank You

Kudos0

Welcome.....................Glad I could help.
Kudos0

mijcar wrote:

Grace,

There is not supposed to be a Live Update for NSW BE.  NSW is not strictly non-security.  It works collaboratively with NIS, which is itself responsible for security and security updates.  The fix to make the two work together consisted in essence of two parts:

1.  Remove the Norton Security Center component of NSW, since NIS is now the security center.

2.  Remove Live Update for NSW since there won't be any further servicing of that product.

Thank you for the info. I had read somewhere here that you didn't want to unistall the serpartate Liveupdate. I read all this before I upgraded my NIS 2008 to NIS 2009. Sorry for the long wait for my rely, dealing with my unprintable printer and no sound for WinMedia Player, so I feel I've got my hands full, not knowing much but still trying to troubleshoot different issues. I talked to support yesterday and walked me thru some steps that I can't even think of right now. What I'm wondering now is even though he stated that everything is working now. Could there be issues with having the separate Liveupdate AND the one in the NIS framework?
Kudos0

Yes, Grace, I would imagine there could be issues.  NSW Basic Edition is NOT supposed to have a Live Update.  You should now only have one for NIS 2009.
Kudos0

mijcar,

Looks like I'm going to be uninstalling LIVEUPDATE. Right after writing my post, I went back to the page to check my printer. Since nothing happened within a minute or two, I sent the page down to the task bar and I got the blue screen. Probably for 2-3 mins. then printer kicked in, nothing printed.... slowly but surely part of the task bar came up , it came back but I do not understand what happened. I do remember that the Windows icon for updates popped up previously. Could that be reason??

Kudos0

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Tony_Weiss wrote:

First, I would recommend checking out this KB document:

Unable to run LiveUpdate for Norton SystemWorks 2007/2008 after you install a Norton 2009 product

Start>Run>luall, worked beautifully. Thank you so much.
Kudos0

So, is everything fixed?
Kudos0

Hi mijcar,

Did have problems with IE7. Everything took forever to load , if they loaded at all.  5 mins. or longer for this web site and 15 to 20 mins for Yahoo! mail. Nothing seemed to be responding. even task manager. I got tired of it all and logged off and shut down. This AM. so far so good. I have seen something about Yahoo mail here and I will check that out. But to me it was as if everything pertaining to Windows was not cooperating. Maybe the reboot is what I needed to do. Though I'm sure I had earlier. Oh well. Thank you,mijcar.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.