• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Error: (9011,100) - cannot fix Norton VPN after installing Norton 360

I tried reinstalling Norton 360, which had popped up as a free upgrade to Norton Internet Security.  I am operating under an Administrator Account on a 64-bit Win-7 SP1 system (current, with all the MS Updates) on this machine.  I had a 3-seat license to which this upgrade to Norton 360 applied:

The upgrade installed flawlessly on the other two PC's:  one a 32-bit Win-7 system similar to this; the other a Win-10 (v1903) 64-bit system.  But the VPN installation error on this Windows 7 machine, I cannot fix.  Should I try to uninstall, then reinstall Norton 360?  Or be content with the error?  What do you recommend?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error: (9011,100) - cannot fix Norton VPN after installing Norton 360

NOTE: I did try to uninstall, then reinstall Norton 360 - I even ran the Norton Removal Tool after a conventional uninstall in an up-to-date Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit) - it made no difference; I still get the annoying VPN installation error.  I checked and I know I'm using an Administrator account in my name; it is the only account on this Win-7 system.  What do I do? - is this problem fixable, or what?

Kudos0

Hi @randybell2,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. I have sent you a private message requesting for logs and other error message details for further investigation. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I am having the same issue also.  The only difference is my system is an HP laptop, with  Windows 10 Home,OS build 18980.1,

release 190907-1301, Windows Insider Version.

12 GB ram, 1 TB SSD, Core I5, 

The VPN fails to install.  Could this be an issue with the latest beta updates from MS?

Kudos0

Could this be an issue with the latest beta updates from MS?

Very possible as Norton does not support beta OS versions like the insider versions of Win 10. Let's see if others on the insider program see the same issue.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

The mystery is, this (free) Norton 360 upgrade offered for a 3-seat NIS license, worked flawlessly to install on two other machines: one an up to date 64-bit, Win-10 (v1903) system; the other an up to date 32-bit, Win-7 SP1 system.  Just, on this up to date 64-bit, Win-7 SP1 system, it absolutely refuses to install properly.

To the nice person who earlier requested logs and such, sent via private message - I've been quite busy but still plan to respond to that, sorry.  THANKS much, to all who've responded with their input thus far. 

Kudos0

I purchased the retail 'boxed' version of Norton 360 Deluxe.  It installed on an HP laptop running Windows 10 Home.  It fails with this same error message attempting to install on an HP 8540w with 64 bit, Windows-10 Pro level (v1903).  As stated previously I am the administrator.

Kudos0

Well, on Saturday Sept-28, I think it was, I experienced issues with the 64-bit, Win-7 SP1 system, to the point, as I was trying to fix the problem, it became unbootable.  So to remedy that, since System Restore would not work, I restored from a secondary backup hard-disk, an image made on August 30th by the native Windows Backup.

That fixed the problem, the system was bootable and running well, with none of the previous symptoms, but it had reverted back to Norton Internet Security since that (Aug-30) image backup had been made at a date before the free upgrade was offered me to Norton 360 with the VPN and Cloud Storage features. 

Then, as I was getting apps up to date, and installing Windows updates, etc., due to having restored to an image at a time of about a month prior - after an instance in the process of getting everything up to date, where I had to reboot to continue, the system upon rebooting had automatically upgraded from NIS to Norton 360, and the problem was solved!  Strange.

No more issues with Norton VPN refusing to install properly - it was a clean, error-free install, just like the other two systems that installed cleanly and without errors.  Not sure if this will prove helpful to anyone, as, it happened as if by chance, and I do not know what fixed the problem with the VPN component.