• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

error code 361f8

I just got a popup that froze my Chrome and said that I had to call Microsoft for help. IT'S A SCAM! However, I ran a Norton scan...nothing. I tried Norton Power Tool, wouldn't open. Ended up downloading Malawarebytes, which got rid of it. Questions: Why didn't Norton catch this and why wouldn't the Power Tool work?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: error code 361f8

What did Malwarebytes find?

Kudos0

@Anthrojan:

More, what was the web site/page you visited? For interest, you can read this threads:

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos1 Stats

@Gerald Bradshaw:

I did the following tests on a Windows 7:

1. I found ZERO fakealerts when using the said sub-forum@ yuku dot com.

2. Then, I re-visited this flagged tumblEr.tech without using Norton Safe Web.

(tumblEr.tech @ Chrome & (an old version of) NIS)

The reported tech site was immediately blocked once Norton Safe Web is working or connected to its server/database.

Now you:

• Are you using an up-to-date Norton product?
  • Have you ever installed/enabled the said Norton Safe Web in your browsers?

Thanks.

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos1 Stats

Norton Identity Safe is for storing and filling logins and passwords. I think you are referring to Safe Web.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Why didn't Norton catch this

No single security solution can catch 100% of malware 100% of the time. There are thousands of new malware released every day, and you could have been caught by one of these zero day attacks.

and why wouldn't the Power Tool work

As you had some malware on your system, it could have blocked the running of NPE.

Your running Malwarebytes is one suggestion we use here frequently. Along with other non realtime, on demand scanners.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

@ Peterweb: Thanks again for your comment. 

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7134201#comment-7134201

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.