• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Error code 8504 104 norton autofix

I can't get into internet explorer it comes up as "this page can not be displayed" and when you click "fix connection problems" a dialogue box opened "Norton auto fix , norton 360 has encountered an error, error 8504,104 and it sats it is checking for a fix for this error.
Anyone had this before!
Labels: Autofix

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error code 8504 104 norton autofix

I can't get into internet explorer it comes up as "this page can not be displayed" and when you click "fix connection problems" a dialogue box opened "Norton auto fix , norton 360 has encountered an error, error 8504,104 and it sats it is checking for a fix for this error.
Anyone had this before!
Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

sunshineb wrote:
Anyone had this before!

Find the Norton Community Search Bar > enter error code 8504, 104 > change the drop down to Community > Search

Please reply back with

Norton 360 version number

Windows OS |SP | 32 64bit

Browser(s) with version number

Can you open a different browser (if you have)

Do you have internet connection.

Did you manually run Autofix

Do you have any other real time Security apps

Did you try a system restart

Others will chime in and you will receive notice of reply via your email

Error codes usually imply Norton has encounterd a conflict or file corruption.

Welcome to the Community

Please review http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196/en-us

The Community does not advise System Restore as it breaks Norton

Please check back before trying any Tools eg NPE | NRT

Kudos0

Thank you for you reply.

where would i find the norton 360 version number?

Windows 7 64 bit.

It's internet explorer (not sure what version though) Chrome is working fine though. Yes have internet connection. 

No autofix just keeps starting by itself. but i cant even open norton icon from desktop.

Have tried system restart.

What do you mean by any other real time security apps? (sorry dont really know alot about computers)

Kudos0

Norton product version number is found at the main user interface upper right corner.

Look for Support > click Support > move mouse to About .  Your looking for a number like 21.5.0.19

Sounds like an update caused a conflict or got corrupted.

IE version number is found at the Menu Bar > Help > About Internet Explorer.

Norton 360 is a real time security app.

Are you running another app like Norton

EDIT  Just remembered you cannot open IE

Go to your Start Menu > Find Internet Explorer > right clic IE > clic Properties > clic Details to find IE version number

I'm wanting to tell you to go through Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options >   Advanced to Reset IE to Default

But, I don't know why Norton is prompting Autofix

Kudos0

Internet explorer 11 version 11.0.9609.17239 and I can't get into anythong to do with norton only the autofix box tht keep popping up.
No I don't think I'm running another app,
Kudos0

How did you get IE version if you cant open IE

Lets try the NRnR Tool here

Download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool

save it to your desktop and close all open windows

Run the Tool and then Run Live Update till no more Updates rebooting as required.

Then will see about reseting IE to Default

Kudos0

It was norton that i couldnt open internet explorer would open just wouldnt connect.

But thank you i have followed thr link you submitted first and it appears to be working now. well i can use internet explorer and norton has opened and  it is running a scan and says on the first page that my computer has a fix in progress.

Thank you so much for your help.

Kudos0

sunshineb wrote:

It was norton that i couldnt open internet explorer would open just wouldnt connect.

But thank you I have followed the link you submitted first and it appears to be working now. well i can use internet explorer and norton has opened and  it is running a scan and says on the first page that my computer has a fix in progress.

Thank you so much for your help.

You followed the link I submitted first...you mean this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196/en-us

Kudos0

sunshineb wrote:
Anyone had this before!

Hi sunshineb,

When you see the error in red above, you are already in IE - that error is a commmon IE error thrown when for some reason the URL you requested can not be displayed - but IE is usually functioning in this case.  You may have a problem with the site, the URL, or perhaps your internet connection.

The error in blue above indicates your N 360 is encountering conflict or file corruption.  Usually the easiest fix for this Norton error is in fact running the NRnRT as bjm_ suggested.

OK sunshineb, it appears you acted faster than I responded - but you ended up with your system fixed and that's what counts.  It sounds like permitting Norton to run the auto-fix did the trick!

Kudos0

@ Topic

I'd like to know if sunshineb Reset IE as I first pointed user to.

Or, what sunshineb did to bring back IE

And why getting IE back allowed Norton to run Autofix

Chrome was running okay.  So, sunshineb had internet connection.

I was hoping not to have to run the NRnR if we didn't have to.

Apparently sunshineb was reading my mind and reviewed the IE Support article.

Kudos1 Stats

bjm_ wrote:

You followed the link I submitted first...you mean this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196/en-us

Yes that was the link i followed. and followed the steps to check whether another programme is conflicting with internet explorer, which at first didnt work when i disabled all the programmes and restarted, so i enabled them again and restarted, internet explorer was still not working. but when i tried to open norton it worked and the first box (security) was red and when i clicked on fix and run scan it fixed it.

Kudos0

sunshineb wrote:

bjm_ wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes that was the link i followed. and followed the steps to check whether another programme is conflicting with internet explorer, which at first didnt work when i disabled all the programmes and restarted, so i enabled them again and restarted, internet explorer was still not working. but when i tried to open norton it worked and the first box (security) was red and when i clicked on fix and run scan it fixed it.

Amazing and darn good troubleshooting. 

Thanks for all your help

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.