• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Error ED800012 with Ghost v.14

I got this error when restoring a backup that had passed verification.  Symantec says, "Symantec Technical Support does not yet know the exact cause of the error message that you received..."  I've also searched this board and found several postings regarding this error, but the only solution offered was to copy the recovery point set without compression and do the restore again.  Since the backup was made without compression that didn't seem like the right solution, but I did it anyway.  The restore failed with the same error.

If this error has any relation to memory, or other hardware issues, it seems to me that Ghost is too sensitive to these things since other imaging software seems to work just fine.  Any suggestions for coping with this error?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error ED800012 with Ghost v.14

What is the complete error message? Typically there is another part of the error after this error code.

>If you are attempting to restore across a network, attempt to perform the restore locally.

>If the image file is local, use the COPY feature in Ghost to attempt a duplicate image file somewhere else. If you are not using compression, this will indicate if there is an integrity issue with the image file itself.

-Andy
Kudos0

andreash_utah wrote:

What is the complete error message? Typically there is another part of the error after this error code.

I don't remember the exact message, but I think it said something about the image file failing a CRC check, or the internal structure of the file being damaged or unsupported.  I'm sorry that I can't quote the message exactly.

>If you are attempting to restore across a network, attempt to perform the restore locally.

Not using a network.

>If the image file is local, use the COPY feature in Ghost to attempt a duplicate image file somewhere else. If you are not using compression, this will indicate if there is an integrity issue with the image file itself.

I did this and got the same result. 

I don't know if my external drive being a Fat32 file system is an issue or not.  The amount of data in the recovery point was approximately 300 gig.  That results in around 75 4 gig files in a single recovery point.  Typically, I do the backup and then open the file in the Recovery Point Browser and verify the file.  If it passes the verification, it has always restored without issue.  Occasionally it fails the verification.  When that happens, I just do the backup again and it usually passes verification the second time.  This is the first time that a file that passed verification wouldn't restore.

Kudos0

If you have 75 files and they are all 4GB, then the drive is FAT32.

You can verify that by right clicking on the drive in "My Computer" and selecting "properties"

Do you have a NTFS drive with enough space to hold a file of approx 300GB?

Dave

Kudos0

DaveH wrote:

If you have 75 files and they are all 4GB, then the drive is FAT32.

You can verify that by right clicking on the drive in "My Computer" and selecting "properties"

Do you have a NTFS drive with enough space to hold a file of approx 300GB?

Dave

I'm aware that my external drive is FAT32.  I could reformat it to NTFS if that could be the source of the problem, but I'm inclined to doubt that as the issue since I've restored backups from that drive many times. What perplexes me is that the backup verifies as valid, yet when I attempt to restore it the error code suggests it's invalid.

Jack

Kudos0

I wouldn't reformat or convert that drive at this point, maybe after you get this problem squared away.

But it would be nice if you had a NTFS drive you could try. 

You could also try the Ghost 15 recovery disk, it may be able to handle the image file better.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20091016094409EN&lg=english&ct=united+states&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home&entsrc=redirect_pubweb

Dave

Kudos0

Dave,

I assume the Ghost 15 recovery disk will work with files created by Ghost 14.

Jack

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.