• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos5 Stats

Facebook Share on Norton NIS2013 Toolbar

Why do we have this advertising on a paid product? How do I remove this from the N Toolbar please?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Facebook Share on Norton NIS2013 Toolbar

Why do we have this advertising on a paid product? How do I remove this from the N Toolbar please?

Kudos1 Stats

twins4384 wrote:

I haven't downloaded the 2013 version yet, but from what I hear the facebook button remained. You can check out this thread, it's not about removing the feature.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-2013-Norton-Internet/Share-button-in-the-toolbar/td-p/772826

You can also voice your concern over it and/or anything else, in the Product Suggestions Board.

Kudos1 Stats

twins4384 wrote:

It looks like it cannot be disabled, which is very bad.

Kudos2 Stats

Yeah, I'm very disappointed with some of the decisions that were made. Clicking that Share button has already crashed Firefox twice this morning, too. (I don't even have an account on anything but Yahoo!, I'm just testing things.)

Windows 7 SP1 32bit - NSBU - 22.1.0.9
Kudos3 Stats

After installing NIS2013,  Norton Safe Search (in fact: ask.com) become the default search engine in Google Chrome. I hate these pushing things. Also in IE9 Norton Search is added. 

I bet most of the majority don't know how to turn that off or switch back. Would advise to remove that, if I was Symantec...

Kudos3 Stats

Cell wrote:

After installing NIS2013,  Norton Safe Search (in fact: ask.com) become the default search engine in Google Chrome. I hate these pushing things. Also in IE9 Norton Search is added. 

I bet most of the majority don't know how to turn that off or switch back. Would advise to remove that, if I was Symantec...

I completely agree! At least these should be turned off by default.

Kudos5 Stats

Well I must admit that I am shocked at this situation. I do not want or require Facebook advertising especially in a security program. This advertising should be removed or at the very least be allowed to disable it.

If this remains unremovable then I will be removing my subscription at renewal time in January.

Kudos4 Stats

tbalint444444 wrote:

Cell wrote:

I completely agree! At least these should be turned off by default.

I have to say that i totally agree as well. The share button and change of search engine i really hate. I want a antivirus product and not a change of search engine. Why not add the possibility to remove the share button?

-gan

Kudos7 Stats

I am in total agreement that there should be an option to turn off the Share button for those who will not use it.  I would like to have that option.

In defense of this new feature, the Share Button is not advertising and does indeed perform a security role.

One can share websites which are rated by Norton Safe Web to be Safe or Untested with various social media and email accounts directly from the Toolbar.

However, if one attempts to share a webpage which is rated as Caution or Unsafe, this feature will not allow the operation to continue.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos2 Stats

This is just one reason I am sticking with n360v6.

I hope this cheers some up a little.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos4 Stats

Hi Folks,

I agree with Phil on this one. There is actually a value add to this feature since the links are checked through Safe Web first. And I certainly agree that it would be nice to have an option to turn it OFF if any user so chooses.

Phil and I have been in discussion with Symantec about this and I have asked Symantec to update the documentation regarding this feature so that at least consumers will know WHY this share feature was added!

Best wishes,

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos9 Stats

Phil and Allen,

I am sorry,  but I will have to disagree.  It may not be meant as advertising,  but to me it is a superfluous feature that I will not be installing on my PC.  As mentioned many times,  we see this everywhere we turn already.  I cannot see any security enhancement with this feature,  nor do I feel I am missing out without it.

Symantec,

Customers have asked for the ability to turn OFF this feature.  Please reconsider.

Thanks,

Dave

Kudos9 Stats

Krusty13 wrote:

Phil and Allen,

I am sorry,  but I will have to disagree.  It may not be meant as advertising,  but to me it is a superfluous feature that I will not be installing on my PC.  As mentioned many times,  we see this everywhere we turn already.  I cannot see any security enhancement with this feature,  nor do I feel I am missing out without it.

Symantec,

Customers have asked for the ability to turn OFF this feature.  Please reconsider.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I certainly understand your viewpoint and initially I felt exactly the same way about the "share" button but I reconsidered simply because at least the proposed URL is vented through Safe Web to help ensure it is not a risky link. I am kind of picturing a case where someone wants to share a URL with a friend and does it through the Norton toolbar and Safe Web informs them that it may not be a safe link....then the user reconsiders and does NOT share the link. In best case scenario this could save someone else from getting infected....So yes I can see a value add to this feature.

However, I also whole heartedly agree with you that users should be able to turn it OFF if they so choose!

I also agree about bringing back the local ID safe and I've been lobbying for that as well with Symantec.

Just my two cents worth.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Thanks for your efforts, Allen. I hope that you have better luck on these issues than all the people who spoke out against them. In spite of being told that our opinions were valued, Symantec did what everyone (but one, I think) asked them not to do on several issues.

Certainly no disrespect meant to Tim or any of the other employees who post here, as I'm pretty sure that they didn't have the final say on the features we all ended up with.

Windows 7 SP1 32bit - NSBU - 22.1.0.9
Kudos1 Stats

AllenM wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

I certainly understand your viewpoint and initially I felt exactly the same way about the "share" button but I reconsidered simply because at least the proposed URL is vented through Safe Web to help ensure it is not a risky link. I am kind of picturing a case where someone wants to share a URL with a friend and does it through the Norton toolbar and Safe Web informs them that it may not be a safe link....then the user reconsiders and does NOT share the link. In best case scenario this could save someone else from getting infected....So yes I can see a value add to this feature.

However, I also whole heartedly agree with you that users should be able to turn it OFF if they so choose!

I also agree about bringing back the local ID safe and I've been lobbying for that as well with Symantec.

Just my two cents worth.

Best wishes.

Allen

Hi AllenM

The Share icon on the Norton 2013 toolbar is adaptive and dynamically changes depending on the user's current 'Share' selection, as shown below:

Given that, and despite the tenuous example that you've given above, it's pretty clear now that this is not a Security related feature, isn't it?

What are your thoughts on this?

Kudos3 Stats

Krusty13 wrote:

Phil and Allen,

Symantec,

Thanks,

Dave

I completely agree!

Kudos0

Hi everyone,

I agree with AllenM that the Facebook URL scanner of the toolbar is a great idea for reducing infections when sharing links with other Facebook users.

Since I don’t and won’t use Facebook (I am in my 20’s but I am a little old fashioned) I think that we can simply disable the add-on from within IE (steps for doing this are given in the following link):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Internet-Explorer-add-ons-frequently-asked-questions

I agree that this is not an ideal solution (it also disables the other benefits of the add-on) but you can also use the 64 bit version of your browser (If there is one available, Opera and IE offer 64 bit versions) if you are using a 64 bit operating system.

I also agree that we need to have a way of disabling this Facebook scanner if we don’t intend to use it (without also losing the other benefits of the add-on) since not everyone likes Facebook (me included).

Thanks.

Kudos4 Stats

A simple solution to this would be to just allow the users to customize the toolbar and allow them to pick what features they want. The share button is out of place and very annoying and option to allow users to store there passwords locally would also be good. The toolbar needs alot of work on it.

Along with the half baked 2013 line up.

Kudos3 Stats

Agreed.

This Facebook icon in the toolbar is just plain obnoxious.

This, added to the fact that you cant move the Norton Tollbar to where you want to put it, makes  it extremely unlikely I will renew my subscription. 

Kudos5 Stats

JimboC wrote:

Hi everyone,

I agree with AllenM that the Facebook URL scanner of the toolbar is a great idea for reducing infections when sharing links with other Facebook users.

[...]

Sorry, but the Share feature on the toolbar isn't a URL scanner; all it does is provide a mechanism to share links with others:

https://identitysafe.norton.com/features

Found something interesting? Want to tell others? Share straight from Identity Safe.

Be Social.

As far as I am aware, the only way that a user will ever see the 'This site does not meet our security standards to share with this service' message is if they are actually browsing the dangerous website in question.

How is a user going to arrive on the dangerous website (example only: please don't try this)?

1. Use a search engine to locate the dangerous site.
  2. Ignore the red Warning Site Safety icon that Norton has placed against the link.
  3. Click the link.
  4. Norton will display a full page block to prevent you from going to the dangerous website in question.
  5. Ignore that and click continue to this site anyway.
  6. Now that you are browsing the dangerous site, click the Share button on the toolbar to see the 'site does not meet our security standards to share' message.

In the example above, Norton clearly tried to protect the user by cautioning them against visiting the website in question. The Share button's response, in this instance, is simply protecting Norton's brand reputation by declining to share the link and politely saying to the user that "You've got to be joking...".

Kudos0

Elsewhere,  That's how I see it too. 

Cheers,

Dave

Kudos2 Stats

elsewhere wrote:

JimboC wrote:

Hi everyone,

[...]

Sorry, but the Share feature on the toolbar isn't a URL scanner; all it does is provide a mechanism to share links with others:

https://identitysafe.norton.com/features

Found something interesting? Want to tell others? Share straight from Identity Safe.

Be Social.

As far as I am aware, the only way that a user will ever see the 'This site does not meet our security standards to share with this service' message is if they are actually browsing the dangerous website in question.

How is a user going to arrive on the dangerous website (example only: please don't try this)?

1. Use a search engine to locate the dangerous site.
  2. Ignore the red Warning Site Safety icon that Norton has placed against the link.
  3. Click the link.
  4. Norton will display a full page block to prevent you from going to the dangerous website in question.
  5. Ignore that and click continue to this site anyway.
  6. Now that you are browsing the dangerous site, click the Share button on the toolbar to see the 'site does not meet our security standards to share' message.

In the example above, Norton clearly tried to protect the user by cautioning them against visiting the website in question. The Share button's response, in this instance, is simply protecting Norton's brand reputation by declining to share the link and politely saying to the user that "You've got to be joking...".

Hi Elsewhere,

I don't pretend to know under what exact circumstances that message will appear and at this point we can only go by observations.

I have requested that Symantec provide more documentation on exactly what the "share" feature does.

I guess it also depends on what you consider "URL scanning" to mean. If by URL scanning you mean a full blown test of the site, then no I'm sure it would not do that. Even Safe Web does not do that because to dynamically and fully "test" each site would take far too long.

Let's also just hope they will give us a way to disable it if we so choose.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos2 Stats

Hi elsewhere,

Thanks for the clarification on what the Share feature actually does.  I agree with AllenM’s interpretation of what this feature is, namely that it will filter out links that are dangerous to visit; I didn’t think that it was a full URL scanner.

It’s a great feature, but since I am not a member of Facebook, of no practical use to me.

I agree with AllenM in that I would like a way to disable this feature (just one reason is because it takes up so much space on the toolbar) but if no such mechanism is provided I will still be staying with Norton, the product is excellent in so many other ways.

For those terminating their subscription on something so small is not a good idea, in my opinion.

Cheers.

JimboC

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos1 Stats

Cell wrote:

Hi Cell,

Thanks for reporting the issue, We are able to reproduce this  issue and tracking with a defect.

To change default search, In chrome->Settings->Search->Manage search engine-> Select  your favorite search engine from the list  as default.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos2 Stats

JimboC, Tim_Lopez, and others:

Please keep in mind that every "feature" is running in the background and slows you down.

Symantec:

The Goal is to keep the user safe from viruses and other malware. Period.

If we want to share a link we can put it in an email. We don't need help to do this.

Your toolbar is probably collecting all our click-throughs.

The more complexity added to the software the higher the likelihood it won't work properly on someone's PC.

Kudos0

Hi Jon,

Every feature does not really slow you down. Do you really think that a Facebook share button on a toolbar is going to “slow you down?” It would only add a few milliseconds to page load time that a human is not going to perceive, however a synthetic benchmark might show the difference. There would also be a very slight RAM usage increase (< 3 MB, according to Process Explorer for the total of all Symantec DLLs loaded into IE that provide the toolbars functionality), again not a problem with todays standard amount of RAM installed.

Since I use the 64 bit version of IE, the toolbar is not active and thus has no effect. On the occasions when the 32 bit version of IE does open (since it is the default browser of my Windows 7), I can’t say that page load is affected. If you are noticing increased page load times, your PC is at fault and you probably need more RAM or to clear your IE cache. My Core i7 2600K @ 3.8 GHz with 16 GB of RAM has no such problems.

I have been using the 2013 version for over a week now and I actually now think that the Facebook share button in the 32 bit version of IE does not waste screen space since that space has already been allocated to the Symantec toolbar anyway. This is in contrast to my previous opinion. On my 27 inch LCD screen (2560x1440), it is even less noticeable. It is a feature that I am not going to use and I simply ignore it.

By the way, I really like the 2013 version; it is working flawlessly for me. Thanks.

Kudos10 Stats

This sort of thing never ends. Clearly there are good numbers of people who do not want Facebook involvement in their personal experience of the NIS 2013 product, one which they paid for. Many have simply discovered  Facebook is now part of the product when they upgraded (me).

The inclusion of an option to disable the Share feature in the toolbar is a no-brainer. The feature will still be available should anyone wish to use it. My suspicion is that there exists a marketing foundation behind the inclusion of Facebook in a security product. As others have said, Facebook will be relying on the fact that they will pick up new users via this fixture on people screens. Of course they will, it's basic advertising.

Symantec need to recognise the fact that they have long term customers who have contributed to the company's profits because they find the product useful over all who feel let down by their views, both prior to release and since release, being disrespected.

What is the point of asking for customer involvement and feedback and then ignoring it in an apparently patronising way? Classic case of considering customers irritation and the possible loss of those customers as simply collateral damage of an acceptable level.

I too request Symantec listen, show some respect and deliver the option being asked for.

Kudos9 Stats

The last time I shared something with someone, I sent an email. Even called them on the phone, that has a cord, that hangs from the kitchen wall. We are aware of the security aspect of the facebook feature for those who want to share. That's a security feature, for those who want to share.

What about this feature in a near future update. A setting to disable and hide from view anything facebook. I have another software product, in which as the years went by, they integrated facebook features into it. One big difference ... you could disable and hide from view anything facebook with it.

Something like this on a major security product is beyond comprehension. It is simply beyond the beyond ...

Ed

Kudos0

"The Voices" ordered them to put it in...

And "The Voices" constantly order them not to dare change it back...  

Kudos2 Stats

I use NIS for protection of my Windows installations - and nothing else.

With this non-removable Share button in NIS toolbar, it is begining to look like some bloatware/adware add-on that sometimes gets installed with freeware programs.

I don't use Facebook, so I don't need to see Facebook logo and Share button in my browser. It should be optional, Symantec only has to add check button in Notron Toolbar  drop-down menu.

Kudos3 Stats

Nortons/Symantec: PLEASE NOTE.

I strongly object to your forcing what I can only describe as advertising and the promoting of social networking sites like facebook on your toolbar. I find it offensive as I strongly appose such sites.

Is it not enough that I pay you a yearly subscription for Nortons Internet Security that you also have to take a commision for the placement of such toolbar addons at my expense.

Please, pull your heads in and respect my disaproval by allowing the manipulation to remove such annoyances.

Kudos1 Stats

Facebook's lawyers and Symantec's lawyers drew up a contract whereby Facebook will pay Symantec a certain amount for which "Facebook Share" will be a 'feature' of the NIS2013 toolbar for a certain amount of time.

It's not going away. That would breach the contract. There would be financial penalties.

Norton sold us out.

Kudos0

JonBartels wrote:

Facebook's lawyers and Symantec's lawyers drew up a contract whereby Facebook will pay Symantec a certain amount for which "Facebook Share" will be a 'feature' of the NIS2013 toolbar for a certain amount of time.

It's not going away. That would breach the contract. There would be financial penalties.

Norton sold us out.

Where did you find that information?  I try to keep up on some of this stuff and do not recall seeing anything about the terms of any agreement.

Kudos8 Stats

It's somewhat ironic thjat Symantyec has "partnered" with Facebook for some dubious reason in NIS given this blog post from August this year:

Greek Heroes, Facebook and Trust

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/greek-heroes-facebook-and-trust

Ther are a multitude of blogs/articles/analyses from Symantec re security concerns on Facebook eg:

Symantec finds 15% of Facebook videos are likejacking attacks

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/symantec-finds-15-of-facebook-videos-are-likejacking-attacks/3316

Sounds like Symantec has had considerable doubts about Facebook in the past, but, here we are with this absurd share tab on our security tool.

Ok, if symantec has a somewhat murky business relationship with Facebook: I cant find any "official" notification about any such then so be it.

Of course sometimes one has to do business with individuals/corporations that you may not like or have concerns about, and, its better to have Symantec ( and all the other security companies), working to make Facebook less of the cesspit it is, but, this is no excuse for plonking this ridiculous button on our Security Tool.

Never mind ASK.com as default search in the, heh: "Safe Search",( Google not exactly top of my hit parade either FWIW ) this is a straight out annoyance: not a security application just a revenue stream no doubt.

If Symantec wants to be clear about their business arrangement with ASK and Facebook: that would be nice. !!

If there is nonesuch: then. what possible rationale is there for this previously  criticised and abandoned paradigm to be in place. get these options off my NIS, or at the very least be "opt In' rather than default please.

I dont recall ticking any boxes a spart of the install: does anyone else.?

Symantec: faceplant, big one.

Kudos5 Stats

Here is a Facebook, et al button I would REALLY like to see in my Norton Toolbar settings: NO SOCIAL NETWORKING.

1) Block every social sharing icon AND every social tracking web bug from every page I visit. Optional checkbox underneath: Make sure social tracking stuff does not know that I am still on the planet.

2) Exclusions: These websites are allowed ... then add the URL for the Norton Community and other forums where you get social and post about stuff ... ... but don't let them peek at what I am buying at Best Buy ...

Now THAT would be a good Norton Facebook, et al security feature ...

OK ... sorry ... sitting down and shutting up ...

tin

Win7HP•64bit•SP1 ... N360 Premier v 20.1.1.2 (3) ... N360 Everywhere (5) ... NMS v 2.5.0.420 ... NMU v 2.0.0.232 ... Norton Snap 1.0.0.45
Kudos2 Stats

Longboard wrote:

It's somewhat ironic thjat Symantyec has "partnered" with Facebook for some dubious reason in NIS given this blog post from August this year:.......

...........Symantec: faceplant, big one.

Longboard, yours is one of the best forum contributions I've read anywhere. Right on the money throughout with respect to this vexing situation.

Kudos1 Stats

Hear, hear. Good stuff Longboard. But will they listen? I suspect we're all pretty aware that they unfortunately won't.

Kudos1 Stats

I hate the icon too but I can see why they added it only for a user convenience but they should 100give the user the options to have it or not.. I have to guess that Facebook and the other servers paid Norton to have that and I think it is wrong as we have to pay $50every year for the product.  I would understand why that would be the case for the free version.

If you feel like I helped you or anyone else please give kudos and accept the answer as answered.
Kudos2 Stats

tinfoilhat wrote:

Here is a Facebook, et al button I would REALLY like to see in my Norton Toolbar settings: NO SOCIAL NETWORKING.

1) Block every social sharing icon AND every social tracking web bug from every page I visit. Optional checkbox underneath: Make sure social tracking stuff does not know that I am still on the planet.

tin

Dont apologise

Great idea

That is a tab I would be happy to see.

Kudos5 Stats

About the only thing I can add to this discussion, is a profound sense of betrayal. NIS is a security application. Even IF this Share tab has some underlying security function, it's clear that its main purpose is to support social networking, which has no place whatsoever on the NIS toolbar. I have no proof of this, but I have to suspect that Norton is getting some kind of kickback from these sites for each 'share' that is directed from the NIS application. By the way, these social media sites are among the biggest security risks on the internet, and I want nothing to do with them - I certainly don't want them shoved down my throat by the security software that is supposed to protect me from them.

Symantec - for God's sake, put in an option to disable this. Seriously, any moron could figure this out. You are hemorrhaging customers over this one decision. I will be one of them if this feature isn't removed or made to be disabled, by the time my license expires.

Kudos0

Symantec has pledged, in the second paragraph of This Post, that soon users will be able to 'hide' the share button.

It was posted on October 15.

I guess a person can read that however they want, does hide, mean disabled ?    At least it's a start.

Ed

Kudos0

Edjr60: Thanks for the link with lots of details/explanations ...

tin

Win7HP•64bit•SP1 ... N360 Premier v 20.1.1.2 (3) ... N360 Everywhere (5) ... NMS v 2.5.0.420 ... NMU v 2.0.0.232 ... Norton Snap 1.0.0.45
Kudos0

tinfoilhat wrote:

2) Exclusions: These websites are allowed ... then add the URL for the Norton Community and other forums where you get social and post about stuff ... ... but don't let them peek at what I am buying at Best Buy ...

OK ... sorry ... sitting down and shutting up ...

tin

Don't sit down....  Don't shut up...

you're rilght on!!!

bc

Kudos1 Stats

Cell wrote:

Hi,

This issue is fixed in latest Product update http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Product-Update-20-2-of-Norton-Internet-Security-and-Norton/m-p/828930/highlight/true#M221001

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos1 Stats

So I switched from i.e. 8 to chrome and now I have this whole toolbar with Norton, facebook share, setup vault, login assistant… are these apps Norton related? How can I uninstall these? I don’t do social media (if I did I would run them in a sandboxed VM) so I don’t need Norton trying hold my hand (or track everything I’m doing)… 14 years I’ve subscribed to Norton and every year they seem to get more and more bloated.

Can someone recommend a security product that does ONE thing… Security!? I don’t want to be tracked (Norton), I don’t want to be harassed by products I don’t need (Norton), AND I don’t want crap installed on my browser unless I INSTALL IT (Norton)!

Any suggestions on a new security appliance? Anyone?

Kudos0

discooby wrote:

So I switched from i.e. 8 to chrome and now I have this whole toolbar with Norton, facebook share, setup vault, login assistant… are these apps Norton related? How can I uninstall these?

Hi discooby,

Yes, those features are Norton related. They are part of the Norton 2013, (version 20), toolbar. As far as removing, uninstalling features from it, the only feature I know of is the facebook share button. In a future update, the facebook share button will be made configurable, so those who don't use it, can disable it.

Ed

Kudos0

discooby wrote:

Can someone recommend a security product that does ONE thing… Security!? I don’t want to be tracked (Norton), I don’t want to be harassed by products I don’t need (Norton), AND I don’t want crap installed on my browser unless I INSTALL IT (Norton)!

Any suggestions on a new security appliance? Anyone?

Read the reviews and check out the security product testing organizations' websites to find a product that might be more suitable to your needs.

Kudos0

That update didn't remove the FB Share button. I have that update and it is still there.

Kudos0

kazoober wrote:

That update didn't remove the FB Share button. I have that update and it is still there.

Hi kazoober,

Are you talking about the update to version number 20.2.0.19. Check - Support > About on your Norton product. Chances are there is not an exact update, date or time frame when the facebook share feature will be made configurable. Although Symantec has said in The Second Paragraph of This Post it will be made configurable. That users will be able to hide it.

Ed

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.