• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Failed BackUp N360 - Partial Success

Hello Forum,

I am just after some simple visual confirmation and advice by other community users on what the message means when you are backing up to an external hard disk drive (which in this case is F:) 

Norton 360  Version 22.5.5.15 - Windows 7.

The message advises me to try again when not busy - and when programs are not running.

It advises a partial success - does that mean it backed up the files noted in the summary only? I have tried backing up about five times. 

Labels: Norton 360

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Failed BackUp N360 - Partial Success

I too receive this error with Norton Security w/ Backup, previously I had to exclude the Windows folder from the backup & then it completes. Currently checking to see if disabling the screensaver & including the Windows folder works, if not then it's definitely something in that folder which is being skipped/failing.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos0

I will try this - you go through the exclude / include section in heading section what you wish to get backed up. I have successfully ran the Defaultset that is set by Norton. I just wished to select some personal files that are large. Will post result as soon as finished. You assisted me a long time ago and have come a long way. Wish I could learn as fast. I am not computer savvy.

Kudos0

Further to my reply, this morning I had a failure on backing up the computer, Windows folder was still deselected, no matter whether the folder was included or not it failed immediately, I closed Malwarebytes pro & backup ran, I'm currently about 80% complete. Will post back if successful.

Kudos0

Well I wonder if there is any solution to our issues. I just had to remove a Microsoft antivirus program as it was conflicting and giving an 8054,104 error - but then the Norton interface Autofix notified me of this and I removed it from my programs (microsoft essentials).

I have included a screen shot of what I have included and excluded.

I do remember a case manager last time I have had issues say something about windows files. I do some files and documents when running a back up - but not that much 

Kudos0

I had no trouble until I upgraded my system from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  I am running Norton Security with Backup software (v 22.5.5.15) and saving to discs.  I have used manage backup sets to select only items such as emails, contacts, office documents, and not 'Other file types' for backup.  The backup apparently runs through to 100%, and then runs on a bit before coming up with an Error 'Partial Success' with the cause apparently being certain files having been missed.  I had searched on the web a bit and found some article about Windows having certain apps running in the background and having to turn these off, but it wasn't clear which/what etc.  I have tried various options and repeatedly had the same result (and then on occassion, Norton backup/my PC suddenly no longer recognises my discs as valid, though they are).  I think there is some real Norton/Windows compatibility issue here...?

Kudos0

Thank you. Since posting - I have attempted to back three times to the same result. Very frustrating.

If you require any further information so you can assist people like us that would be great.

I also have noted that I can not see my Back Up History - can someone assist?

Kudos0

Hello Melissa_Confuse,

Based upon your previous screenshot, you are trying to backup folders which by are normally excluded.

I think the problem you are experiencing is because by default, Norton 360/NSBU excludes the following folders from the backup:

• C:\Program Files\
  • C:\ProgramData\
  • C:\Users\Public\Music\Sample Music\
  • C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\
  • C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\

It is my understanding that even if you add these system folders manually to the backup set, Norton 360/NSBU will ignore their inclusion during the backup process.  This may be preventing the backup from completing.

Can you try the backup without including any of these paths and let us know the outcome?

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

I have successfully backup the program folders, with my backup selection I don't choose the entire C drive but choose all the folders within & remove the excluded folders from the exclusion list.

I've recently had to delete the Full Computer backup (due to the backup running but no progress bar) via the Backup tab & now receive the error about encrypted files but I can exclude those files & backup completes.

Will check again whether Malwarebytes pro affects Norton as the previous problems may have been due to the backup corruption.

Kudos0

I am curious as to the purpose of backing up Program Folders.  In the event of a hard drive or computer failure, simply restoring these folders to a new unit will not restore the programs.  Programs must go through the installation process to properly function.

The only reason I could see backing up part of a Program Folder is if that particular program stores some of its work product or backup within that path (I know some versions of Quicken used to do this).

It is only my opinion, but it seems a waste of storage space to backup files and folder which cannot be of any use in the future. But, maybe I am missing something in the thought process behind this.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hi Phil_D,

You have come to the rescue again. I had you assist me previously. I am glad that I kept the screen shot of the back up set that Norton Support set up and ran. They said that my back up should work, but they did not wish to stay online as it would take a long time.

I will post back with what you requested to do and troubleshoot. I was backing up part of C: drive for the Appdata folder. That contains MS Word files that are autosaved to that location.

Thanks for all your assistance. Glad I am not the only one at the moment with the issue.

Thanks

Kudos0

Hi Melissa_Confuse,

Are you going to use the default 'What' settings or go for a custom selection?

Sometimes the default 'What' setting will back up extraneous files and perhaps not all the files you desire.  If you need instructions for creating a workable custom set, let me know.

Kudos0

Hello again -

I've have just managed a 100% backup and a 'Complete' result - for the first time since I upgraded to Windows10.  However, I am not familiar with Windows 7, so I don't know whether this will help you or not - I hope so!

Following the discussion above, I doubly checked my backup set to make sure that it did not include any files that might cause a problem.  I then ran another backup - apparently to 100%, but then 'Error' and 'Partial success' - again.

So, as I mentioned above, I had read somewhere about certain Windows apps running in the background causing issues.  With no programs apparently running, I went into Task Manager (press Ctrl Alt and Del) and viewed the Processes for a while.  Amongst the expected system files, I noticed 'OneDrive' appear.  I do not share files on OneDrive so I thought that perhaps this might be the issue - i.e. when MS OneDrive syncs with the web version.  So, I decided to disable OneDrive, using the following:

https://support.office.com/en-GB/article/Turn-off-or-uninstall-OneDrive-...

(Note: since the PC I'm working on only has MS Home Office software, I cannot use the gpedit.msc method - only available on Pro or Enterprise Office - so I scrolled down to where it tells you how to disable OneDrive via the icon on the taskbar. I turned off all settings etc. as described.)

I then ran Norton backup again - and it worked!!!

I hope this helps others (and is not just some unexplicable result), because I have also spent ages trying to get my old backups to work.

Good Luck.

Kudos0

Hi Phil_D, In my case backing up the program folders has got me out of a fix recently, I tried updating WinDVD 11 Pro with the latest patch, the update uninstalled the program but then gave me an error saying it couldn't find setup.exe so couldn't update, I reinstalled using the disc but that version isn't compatible with Win 10, I ran the first patch fine but the second patch which makes the program work with 10 did the same as the latest patch (5), I reinstalled the program again, ran the first patch then restored the files from the backup, I now have WinDVD pro working again.

This is why I backup the programs folders.

Kudos0

So far I have run backup with program folders, Windows folder & MS folder under app data excluded & included & still get the running programs error, I exclude onedrive too but not tried removing or disabling it - I will try that & post back.

Kudos0

I too am not having much luck.

Tried excluding most libraries and also then most of C:. I also attempted the suggested default selection to no avail. I found the above comments most worrying. I will search for a similar program on my C: and see if that is causing an error.

It is most frustrating having a product that informs you that because you are using some folders it can not back up, then you keep trying everything. I mean everything ( I tried just backing up contacts only)

Any more suggestions from the community, that would be great or just inform me what worked for you.

Kudos0

Hello Melissa,

You can try this. Do not use the default settings on the ‘WHAT’ page for your backup or try to select extensions.  Instead, create your own custom backup by adding the folder/file paths you desire.

1. Uncheck and turn off the default options listed on the ‘WHAT’ page. Then choose the ‘Add or exclude files and folders’ link near the top of the page.

2. At the bottom of the next window, select one of the four Include/Exclude options.

3. In the Folder Selection window that next appears, navigate to the folder that you want to add, highlight it and then click OK.

4. When complete, be sure to click Save Settings in the Manage Backup Sets window.

This should provide a backup set which includes the files and folders that are important to you.

You can also add files/folders to your backup set directly from Windows Explorer.

(from the Help section):

In Windows Explorer, right-click the file or folder, select Norton Security with Backup > Add to Backup.

The Add to Backup option in the shortcut menu is enabled only after you configure your backup and when the Manage Backup Sets window and Restore Files window are closed.

Click the backup set to which you want to add the file or the folder.

Let us know how you do.

Kudos0

Thanks for the easy to follow screen shots. I appreciate the time and effort again in assisting team members. I will try again and post.

If I remember, after altering the settings, good idea to refresh the settings and confirm what you are backing up.

Will post back a great screen shot I hope.

Kudos0

For me disabling OneDrive didn't make a difference, I've also noticed another worrying problem with startup protection, if it's set to aggressive it doesn't start first but last & if I turn it off it starts first - it's as though the settings were reversed, I'm wondering if the running program might not be Norton itself.

I have had these problems since the problematic Windows 10 1511 update & the Norton update which was pulled, I have downloaded the fixes & uninstalled Norton 6 times following recommended guidelines - uninstall, restart, run removal tool, restart, install Norton. 

Kudos0

I've narrowed down the partial success/running programs backup error to Malwarebytes pro folder, Norton Security w/BU folder, Norton installer folder, Privoxy folder, Enable loopback folder (these two are to get Ad Muncher ad blocker to work with IE 11 & Edge) or the common files folder, I excluded these folders & I also disabled Malwarebytes pro & backup completed, I then included MB, common files & Norton folders & it failed again. Returned the settings to above & it completed again, now I have to see if turning on/running MB will affect the backup.

Kudos0

My update is much the same with failed back ups.

I also have the added issue of the Network not being connected and having a lock on it. This happened after a Case Manager from Norton discovered that I had two connections on my lap top. 

I have tried backing up a test back up and it will get to around 90% and fail. 

I am open to anyone that is having the same issues. I noted the MB may be an issue in some cases.

Kudos0

Hi Melissa,

Could you provide the rest of the 'Result' details as shown in your screenshots.

On December 25 the Result is: There is a backup problem.  Make sure the destination...

On December 02 the Result is: Some files were not backed up. Please make sure that...

Having that complete information would be useful.

Thanks!

Kudos0

Dear Phil_D,

I am so terribly sorry. I usually put too much information on forums and get told that I put too much into my posts. So I have attempted to downsize the amount. I also had to think how to post from a full screen shot.

Could you assist me possibly with the below enquiry as it is causing issues with access to the internet, hence me unable to respond back most of the time to forum posts:

Would smart firewall cause the Norton Interface to block the network from receiving the signal

norton extension_1.jpg

norton extension_0.jpg

norton extension-.png

Kudos0

Regarding the screenshots of the incomplete/failed backups,

The first one indicates to me that the external drive was not connected to the laptop or had been ejected.

The second one indicates that you were trying backup data which was in use by another program.  Are you still trying to backup program files?  If so, this may be the problem.

"Would smart firewall cause the Norton Interface to block the network from receiving the signal"

I doubt it. When properly configured the Norton Smart Firewall will not interfere with your network connection. If you have not made any changes to the Norton Firewall, the default settings should allow traffic.

I did notice in the notification area of your taskbar that the battery icon indicates an empty or almost empty battery. If you are running only on battery and the charge gets below a certain point, your wireless network card will shutdown to save power.  Could this be the case?

Kudos0

The first one indicates to me that the external drive was not connected to the laptop or had been ejected.

This was not the case as the external Western Digital / Seagate 3 TB External Hard Drive remained plugged in until the message appeared. This was done at Christmas and I was not operating the computer I sat and did a trial of only the files and contacts on my desktop. This went to 90 per cent and failed. I trailed it three more times to the same affect and error message. 

The second one indicates that you were trying backup data which was in use by another program. I understand this message. I was not operating any other programs at the time of this back up, I have decided that I will just let the back up run without anyone using the system. 

I still would love the option to try and do a successful back up. I have tried with a case manager from the support team

, but the first time they informed me the size was going to take too long. The second time we got cut off and I could not reach anyone T support for another two days. That stage I was in having an operation on my cancerous tumour.

Thank you for answering the second question, my Sony (which I am trying to source a battery for) is running low, but operating on battery. I have the below general settings for Norton if this assists, but I gather I am sure that you will inform me to start another thread if I go too much in detail. I am thankful for the general explanation and post if it becomes worse. I just wish to complete a back up successfully.

I have it shutting down and sometimes the padlock is there and sometimes not. Also when I go to print, it delayed. 

Again you have most helpful. You have navigated me around the correct libraries in which to exclude and include. I just lessened the parameters to do a trail. 

I am not computer savvy and you have given me a lot of information and resources. The explanation regarding the second back up just does not ring true and three times it came up with that particular error and no other programs - apart from Norton were operating. Should I look at programs that are at the Start Menu - I looked at google prior to just assuming.

Kudos0

"I still would love the option to try and do a successful back up. I have tried with a case manager from the support team"

If you already have an initial backup, you can right click on the Norton system tray icon and select 'Run Backup Now'.  Depending upon what is already backed up it should not take too long.  If this is another new backup, that could take some time.

Most Importantly, in your screenshot under Quick Controls, Backup is not checked. There should be an 'X' there in order for Backup to run.  Please change that accordingly.

And finally, why is Safe Surfing not checked?  That provides Antiphishing protection and the Norton Safe Web components.

Thanks.

Kudos0

In the interim of Back Up not working - the Back Up 'x' was removed as it kept on alerting me to do a Back Up every time I logged in. I will change that immediately to what you have advised. 

The story regarding the Back Ups - is that there has been no initial Back Up with this version of Norton 360 - the case manager had to use Norton Eraser and reinstall, therefore I lost prior Back Up's, and create new Back Up sets. Since then I have not been able to Back Up successfully and has been logged as an issue for a long time. As previously explained a case manager said my last back up was going to take 3 hours plus and left me to it. I am trying to gain a Back Up so my product is fully functional and I am utilising all the modules. A Back Up would be nice. I was accused of having another Back Up program, which is not the case and that should not affect the Back Up running. 

With regards to the Safe Surfing not checked - I will action immediately, did not know the implications, does that mean surfing the internet not that safe at present? Glad I posted the pic.

I will post a pic as unfortunately the circumstance is that I have the lock on my Internet and the 

Kudos0

In looking at your latest screenshot, Silent Mode should not be enabled.  Silent mode is a temporary period when Norton does not display alerts or notifications and suspends some background activities.  The maximum time this can be set for is 1 Day, so it will turn off by itself and should not be manually checked again unless you need a period with no alerts and reduced background tasks.

Previously you did not have Identity Safe checked.  That only needs to be checked if you are using that feature.

"...therefore I lost prior Back Up's, and create new Back Up sets."

I would like for you to insert screenshots of your current Manage Backup Sets tabs 'Summary', 'What' and 'Where'.  Please also supply a list of any included or excluded files.

After I check these, I think we should put all your Norton settings back to default as it seems a number have been toggled on or off.  But let's hold on that until I can look at you screenshots.

Thanks!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.