• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Firefox 3.0.10 + Norton Toolbar 3.5 + Meebo.com = Ka-put!

I've a problem with the Firefox Norton toolbar - whenever I try to load Meebo.com on the browser, it causes an Appcrash error the moment the site's done loading. The same error, however, does not occur when the Norton toolbar is disabled - so I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the toolbar.

Can anyone offer me any help on the matter?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Firefox 3.0.10 + Norton Toolbar 3.5 + Meebo.com = Ka-put!

I've a problem with the Firefox Norton toolbar - whenever I try to load Meebo.com on the browser, it causes an Appcrash error the moment the site's done loading. The same error, however, does not occur when the Norton toolbar is disabled - so I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the toolbar.

Can anyone offer me any help on the matter?

Kudos0

Hi Fran,

Welcome to Norton Community!

Could you tell me which version of N360 (or NIS) you are using? Does this issue also happen in IE? Do you have any other add-ons installed for Firefox?

Kudos0

What other browsers did you try this? I tried to reproduce but over here everything is going very well
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Norton 360 version is 3.0.

Issues are non-existent on IE8.

My addons include Firebug, the Norton addons, and the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant. The crash remains even when the non-Norton addons are disabled. A fresh Firefox reinstall doesn't seeem to have any effect, either.

P.S.: Same crash also occurs when viewing photos on flickr.

Message Edited by Fran on 05-14-2009 08:04 PMMessage Edited by Fran on 05-14-2009 08:07 PM
Kudos0

Is your Flash Player up to date?
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Yes. The version number's 10.0.22.87.
Kudos0

Bump.
Kudos0

Fran -

Sorry for the trouble but I went out to that site in FF 3.0.10 with NTlbr3.5 (NIS16.5.0.135) and have no problems at all. 

Is your problem as you log in there or just loading the site?  I do not have Firebug; what is that?  Can you uninstall it just to test?

Kudos0

Problem happens as the site loads. For example, when meebo starts to load its webpage, it begins by loading the HTML and their local Javascript files - that process occurs normally. However, when the site begins to load a certain kind of Javascript (such as meebos core.videoegg.com JS files) the Norton toolbar spazzes out and locks up Firefox, as a result. What I find odd, though, is that the error reporting tool shown after the error is the one from the OS, and not from Firefox itself. In addition to that, this problem also seems to be exclusive to Windows Vista - since I haven't been able to replicate it from our Windows XP computer.

P.S.: Firebug (getfirebug.com) is a Firefox extension used to verify and debug web pages. Uninstalling it did not eliminate the error.

Message Edited by Fran on 05-19-2009 11:29 PM
Kudos0

What version of Vista?  I have Home Premium SP1 and do not have a problem.

Kudos0

If you have not done so already try this Hot Fix for program compatibility issues and see if this fixes the Javascript error.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090319114809EN

Choose the last one on the list.

Kudos0

Home Premium SP1.

Note: I found out a few moments ago that, while booting on Safe Mode, Norton's One-Click Support indicates an error (8500,105). I'm thinking this is what might be causing the problem.

Message Edited by Fran on 05-20-2009 01:48 PM
Kudos0

Did you try to run a scan in safe mode recently?  Seems the error in question may have 'hung' in memeory.  The error support page mentions this and that is all.  If you did, please re-enter Safe Mode and try to run a scan.  Here is a quote from the article:

Your Norton product can only run a full system scan in Safe mode. In order to run a scan, close this error and double-click the Norton desktop icon. When the warning message appears, click Yes and the scan will run.

The article is here:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080805121151EN&ln=en_US

Looking at this, I don't know if would fix the 'Ka-put' problem or not.  Could be worth a try; hung memeory and errors can be causing unseen problems inside the software.

Kudos0

Hotfix didn't work. The safe mode scan didn't work either. I also tried an uninstall-reinstall with the Norton Removal Tool and that didn't work either.
Kudos0

Here's the data from the Event Viewer that corresponds to the error:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          5/20/2009 7:19:43 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      eMachines-PC
Description:
Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.9.0.3399, time stamp 0x49f1091d, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000b015d, process id 0xf00, application start time 0x01c9d9a16b7a17f2.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-05-20T23:19:43.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>8222</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>eMachines-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>firefox.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.9.0.3399</Data>
    <Data>49f1091d</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.0.6001.18000</Data>
    <Data>4791a7a6</Data>
    <Data>c0000374</Data>
    <Data>000b015d</Data>
    <Data>f00</Data>
    <Data>01c9d9a16b7a17f2</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Kudos0

Hi Fran,

Thank you for providing this information. Can you list the name of the applications you have installed on your Vista machine?

Also, are you logged in to Identity Safe when you see the crash? If yes, does this crash occur if you are not logged in?

Thanks,

Kudos0

Found a fix. Reinstalled Firefox in the OS's partition, and somehow, the crashes disappeared - couldn't do so earlier because of a lack of space in the C: Drive. (thank you SP2) It seems that the crashes occur when Norton and Firefox are on different partitions or something like that.

Anyways, I hope this might be helpful to someone in the future.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.