• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Firefox 33.0 not compatible with Norton toolbar

I couldn't find any reference to this issue in these forums. Does anyone know if it's being addressed by Norton?

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Firefox 33.0 not compatible with Norton toolbar

Firefox prompted me to update but it isn't due for release until next week so no update for your Norton product at this time.

It isn't prompting now so they must of realised their mistake.

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

Thank you Krusty13 for your input. I must have been one of the "happy winners" of that prompt via a popup box...I killed it immediately because I wanted to find out first whether it was compatible and got a little disappointed for not seeing the issue still raised here. 

Following your info, I just checked Help and it now says my Firefox is up to date...

Good!...

Kudos0

Good to hear! 

This is exactly why it's a good idea to have your Firefox update setting to NOT auto-update but rather prompt.

Cheers!

Windows 10 x64 1903
Kudos0

Received this email notification earlier ~ goes to Access denied at time of this post

08-Oct-2014 | 11:54AM: Mohan_G created Firefox 33 Support for Norton Toolbar
Hi Everyone, ...

Kudos0

Received the same email and link goes to the same Access denied page.

Kudos0

All one can say is "here we go again!"  I have uninstalled Firefox 33 and reinstalled Firefox 32 and of course the Norton toolbar is back again. Will probably wait for news from this community before I let Firefox update to 33. (Those of us PC users who are still brave enough to pick and choose software outside the monopolistic giants (Microsoft, Google, Apple and to some extent also Norton) have to contend with these compatibility issues from time time.)

Kudos2 Stats

Well, to be fair, you can't say "here we go again" as yet... Firefox 33.0 has not been released and its release date is scheduled for next week (October 14, 2014). You must have downloaded a beta version, not the final version. Please read the preceding posts to get a better idea of what may have happened...

In fewer words: complaining is legitimate only when one has a reason and we have no lack of reasons nowadays for complaining about Symantec's real or perceived missteps. But this is not one of them... Sorry! 

Kudos1 Stats

Yes LinYu2 you have a good point. I ended up with FF33 because of a very recent problem that required me getting direct help from a Microsoft support agent. WE had to uninstall FF and when he re-installed he did FF33. It is funny because I actually commented to him "Isn't that a beta version"? and he said that's not a problem. So ironically, the blame if there is any lies neither with Norton or Mozilla but with Microsoft support. Who'd have guessed?

And thanks for your comment.

Kudos0

Hi EEnywebb, thanks for taking the time to come back and provide an explanation. You didn't have to, but it was nice on part that you did. All stands clear now! 

Cheers!

Kudos0

It's now 10/24/14.  Firefox still tells me the add on in not compatible.  Norton tech support says "That's Firefox's problem, they need to patch their program."  Firefox says the same about Norton.  I tried updating Norton to the latest.  Still no joy. I'm having to browse with IE  which does not have my many bookmarks.  Durn!

win7pro, firefox 33.0, Norton Toolbar 2014.7.8.23

Kudos0

Hi, Jack228. Firefox is now updated to V 33.0.1. Run Live update until no more are found, and then update Firefox.

Windows 10 Home X 64

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.