• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

FireFox 40/41 Toolbar

Patch installed today (no choice in matter), updating Firefox browser (Still running 40), Toolbar does not now allow access to Vault Logins & Facebook, only Safe Search & Norton Secure available.  Assume this Part 1 as Norton call it, where is part 2? why issue in this manner when critical component is no longer available!. Come on Norton, please give us punters some info on this please.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: FireFox 40/41 Toolbar

Hi mgirons,

Firefox 41 and 42 Support for Norton Toolbar

You may also find this post and the follow on conversation interesting.

Kudos2 Stats

Yank, Thanks - exactly what I have got. Just been nice if they could have left us with the previous version of the Toolbar until the new version was completed and signed off - I assume in future that there will be no more of these Firefox toolbar updates now that apparently things have been standardised, no real problems with IE in the past. Update forced on us with no choice except to have partial Toolbar or no toolbar. Also be idea if they were to give an indication of dating for release.

Kudos0

Hello

The only time frame I can give you is that the Team is working as fast as they can and it will be released as soon as it is completed and thoroughly tested out so that it works as intended. It also has to be put together with the first phase. Workarounds have been given which should help you out in the mean time.

You can use one of the other browsers and you will see that all the information is still there.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos2 Stats

floplot...

Using another browser is not quite OK. IF I use IE11, IDSafe still will not work with some sites like GMAIL if you have multiple accounts. This has been reported MONTHS ago and Norton still says that we could use IE! So much for their "extensive" testing. I realize GMAIL is an obscure site!  :-(

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Kudos3 Stats

I noticed something odd.

Norton keeps telling us to use another browser.  

Yet they never tell us to use another A/V package.   

Kudos1 Stats

Good one.

I have figured out (maybe this is their workaround) that you can access Identity Safe. Click on "Open Identity Safe Settings". You can log into the Vault and access logins. The Vault won't stay open though.

I've been holding off on my FF updates. I guess there's no point now.

Kudos3 Stats

Note - I am using FF ERS 38.4.0 and am on their update channel and was using this FF version before the following occurances (thank The Lord)

I was so pleased to get Mohan's email about Norton Toolbar update that I rushed in to action (Stupid me) and updated. It was only when I found that the Vault would not work that I re-read the email and found the clear warning in bold type [The VAULT option will be missing from the Norton Toolbar until this patch is released for all supported versions of Firefox]. Memo to all my friends - always read the question!! My fault, no excuse.

So after thought I decided to take the chance that the downloads on the "My account page" of the Norton site may not have been updated by this partial patch. So I uninstalled NIS reinstalled and whoopee it worked with a fully functional Toolbar - also worked after a manual live update (again done by me on the basis that the brand new Mohan G version would not - yet - have had time to have been included in the Manual update routine) Luckily this was the case.

My question was "dare I uninstall Norton yet again, reinstall yet again (based on the previous logic) in the hope that the downloaded programme would not contain the FF 41/42 patches nor would it update my NIS with the partial fix from Mohan G" I have not answered that yet.

But reading the other posts in this thread (which may not be found easily as the full web address is https://community.norton.com/en/forums/firefox-4041-tooldars bold highlight mine) Many of the points of view resonate with me.

mgirons:

Patch installed today (no choice in matter), updating Firefox browser (Still running 40), Toolbar does not now allow access to Vault Logins & Facebook, only Safe Search & Norton Secure available.  Assume this Part 1 as Norton call it, where is part 2? why issue in this manner when critical component is no longer available!. Come on Norton, please give us punters some info on this please.

No choice in the matter....Who on earth do the Gurus in the Sky at Norton think they are?? Do not remove choice - if I wanted one of you to change the way I do things or sort out a major software programme problem "I would ask"  then dependant on the response "I would make a decision to follow the advice or not" That's how things work in a democracy guys - you do not dictate to us.

It is bad enough fighting a battle with Microsoft and Apple to avoid them updating, installing, & dictating how I log into my computer (I choose to use a local administrator account rather than my Microsoft account. I would rather trust me to guard my senstive information than Microsoft. I don't want to update Skype and have a daily battle to not accept their blandishments to upgrade Skype. etc etc. I DON'T EXPECT TO HAVE TO DO IT WITH NORTON

Telling us to use another browser is a total cop-out. Apologies for shouting - but: I DO NOT WANT TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER, THE EDGE, CHROME, SAFARI, OPERA - I LIKE FIREFOX - it does not tell me what to do!!

Plus using the Vault from the desktop is a pain and not fit for purpose in my opinion

In terms of providing solutions, it seems to me that the Firefox ESR 38.4.0 is the best option - found in a contribution in this forum. But neither endorsed nor suggested by the Norton Fighters or Gurus. Why not?

C'mon guys - Peter would not be proud of you

regards to all

weeshus

Kudos2 Stats

100% correct weeshus in every respect.  I do wonder who is running the show at Norton these days.  Whoever it is is missing the fact that their customers (you me and many more) used the Vault facility as an integral part of their Norton package and there are now many unhappy bunnies out there who are questioning their decision to either buy Norton or stick with it at renewal.  I kept off updating FF from 40.0.3 but then Norton udate gave me (without asking) the updated only partially functioning Toolbar.

I have said on another thread that I will be looking at other options before renewing as this episode is simply not good enough.

Kudos2 Stats

Thanks for that Peter it's good not to be a lone voice crying in the wilderness! On the positive side - I wrote 

"dare I uninstall Norton yet again, reinstall yet again (based on the previous logic) in the hope that the downloaded programme would not contain the FF 41/42 patches nor would it update my NIS with the partial fix from Mohan G" I have not answered that yet.

Well I decided to do just that and got the answer I was hoping for. I uninstalled NIS and re-installed - this gave me  NIS version 22.5.4.24, I then opened Firefox which asked me if I wanted to install Norton Toolbar 2015.5.4.10 I said yes (knowing that the non vault supporting tool bar was 2015.5.6.76) and I am now a happy bunny with Firefox ERS 38.4.0 co-exising peacefully with a fully functioning Nort Toolbar complete with working Vault.

Now the only worry is whether Norton will overide my FF set-up with a "no choice" update to the 2015.5.6.76 toolbar - I hope not.

I believe (but do not have sufficient knowledge to unequivocally know) that FF ERS 38.4.0 does in fact solve the security issues that Mozilla updated to FF41/42 to address and also allows a route to Vault on the Norton Toolbar. If so, it is a solution for those who want to keep the Vault on their Norton Toolbar and also have the comfort of knowing that their FF is secure. BUT as I have said I I do not know if the ERS build 38.4.0 has addressed the security issues that Mozilla addressed with FF 42 - so tread carefully please.

I hope  this helps

regards

weeshus

Kudos1 Stats

If you are going to the trouble of re-installing Norton, a much easier solution is to go to a new A/V software package.  Norton is basically asking you to 1) wait until they get around to add an old feature back in, that they decided without warning to take out, and not to worry we are working on it, but have no ideal of what the schedule is, sorry but if they are fixing a bug, maybe a schedule is tough to do, but not they if you believe them is doing a re-write, which if I ever told a boss I didn't have a schedule I would be working elsewhere.  2) bootleg a out of date version of both FF and Norton and ignore security.

Norton dropped the ball by ignoring FF saying an major update was coming, and hoping not enough customers would drop them in the process.  Scares me to think what real security issues are handled the same way.

Kudos0

Thanks for the suggestion weeshus and I hope that it continues to work for you.  As I've already updated FF to 42 I'll sit tight for a few days to see if Norton can get their act together before messing about any more. 

Keep us posted though if Norton, via Live Update, messes things up for you as it did for me with FF 40.

Kudos2 Stats

weeshus

It appears everything is a lose, lose situation. Original problem apparently occurred with issue of FF 41. According to Norton a patch would be issued but only for NIS 22 & FF 41. Being clever, as I was still on NIS 21, left on FF40. Then toolbar not available in FF 40. Upgraded to NIS 22, toolbar available. Then partial toolbar issued last week which is where all comments refer too now. Now Norton now saying that patch affects FF 38 - 42 which we are now all aware of. So we, as paying users, cannot have what we want or what Norton say we are going to get. Time they sorted themselves out and considered their customers. Problem is, patch comes through whether you want it or not. Found my patch on manual update which only gives choice of partial or no toolbar. Rubbish service by Norton. Why don't they just issue a statement apologising & giving some idea when issue will be solved.

Kudos2 Stats

Oh dear oh dear,

as I said yesterday

Now the only worry is whether Norton will overide my FF set-up with a "no choice" update to the 2015.5.6.76 toolbar - I hope not.

Well hope springs eternal, but good manners, common sense and courtsey obviously  do not figure in the Norton Manual of business ethics. The invasion of privacy does really upset and annoy me however. I know this is boring but please bear with me.

I opened my FF this morning and there was a notice asking if I wanted to install the new addon from Norton. The check box gives you a yes/no option. I ticked no. Result - no toolbar at all.

So this means that Norton removed the 2015.5.4 toolbar without my permission and before I accpeted the new toolbar! This is very bad and unacceptble. Maybe we should all migrate to another A/V programme?

THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT IS NOT THE PROGRAMME IT IS THE ILL MANNERED IDIOTS WHO THINK THAT LOYAL CUSTOMERS ARE UNIMPORTANT AND TO BE TREATED LIKE THE EXCREMENT UNDER THEIR SHOES

Regards to all who are suffering

weeshus

ps anyone know a good av programme? Maybe we should use this forum to compare notes until Norton either listen to us or shut us down?

Kudos1 Stats

weeshus, you should be able to get the partial toolbar to display by enabling the Add-On titled Identity Safe (no Identity Safe vault available), unable to understand the logic here, should surely have been NO Identity Safe. No doubt we shall have to wait for Norton to issue a patch for the patch in their own good time. Echo your sentiments entirely.

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks mgirons - but the bit I really want is the vault. I have yet to find a safer password manager, and it is so easy and so fast. But as I said - anyone know a good a/v programme ? (or even anyone want to buy out Symantec)?  (or even anyone know a good Customer Service Trainng School) ?

So fed up - but in the end we will triumph either by Norton giving us what we want or we find a better more customer oriented a/v developer.

regards

weeshus

Kudos0

weeshus: - but the bit I really want is the vault. I have yet to find a safer password manager, and it is so easy and so fast.

Use Firefox Password Manager with Master Password for Local Vault.

Use LastPass Free with Multifactor Authentication Free for Online Vault. 

If your machine is compromised it doesn't matter where you store your creds. 
Where you store is less important that where you use. 
When your password manager is open it's open. 

Kudos0

Hi bjm.,

In the main I accept what you say. However I have never felt that the Mozilla Password Manager in Firefox was the most secure way forward. Last Pass Free I am not familiar with - but by the end of the night I will be!

However I reproduce your final paragraph(s) which re-iterate a most valuable caveat for us all - and for that thank you

"If your machine is compromised it doesn't matter where you store your creds. 
Where you store is less important than where you use. 
When your password manager is open - it's open.
"

Regards and thanks again

weeshus

Kudos0

@weeshus,
Thanks for correcting my typo.... I'll slap my proof reader.
Guess, I was in an irreverent mood and blurted out my inside voice. 
If you think Cyber Criminals will aim for a small target.
Then store your creds in the cloud.
If you think Cyber Criminals will aim for a big target.
Then store your creds local. 
Either place your creds are at more risk in use vs. in storage. 
YMMV  M2C

Kudos2 Stats

Maybe I should write them all down, input them manually and ceremonially burn the paper each night?

But your last line does have its merit. Nowadays it seems that it is not us who mess up security, it is the sites/companies that we visit and "log into" who allow our data to be distributed into the ether.

But we are entering a non relevant thread and a Norton Mod may come in and remove our posts, just to make a change from removing our utility with the Norton Toolbar.

regards

weeshus

Kudos1 Stats

Good evening to all -

This post is supposed to be a constructive addition to all previous contributions. It may also help those struggling with their "Spanish Renewal Reminders".

Let me say that the research I have done basically indicates that the Symantec (Norton) approach to A/V software and our protection from Virus / Malware / Phishing is generally deemed to be excellent as an overall package.

The Vault Password Manager is one of the better ones and is easy to use, but does not have some of the features of (say) LastPass (recently bought out by LogMeIn) or the new kid on the block DashLane. Both of these in various guises support 2 stage Login safeguards.

So my suggestion is:

Keep with Norton Internet Security and stop using the Norton Vault and use another Password Manager. Posting this herecy on a Norton site might seem as disloyalty and bad manners BUT -

What does it take to get Norton to acknowledge that they have messed up with their Toolbar and their information flow and the accuracy and validity of the information and user preferences they hold on their customers (Spanish reminders to UK and other non-Spanish speakers) AND WORST OF ALL their Customer Care, Customer Service and downright Bad Manners.

As has been said "Rubbish service by Norton. Why don't they just issue a statement apologising & giving some idea when issue will be solved."

Regards -  weeshus

Kudos0

I have carefully read the post  by: Sunil_GA30 Admin   Posted: 17-Nov-2015 | 1:23PM •  Edited: 17-Nov-2015 | 1:29PM • 0 in which he explains partially the problems experienced in solving the problems that exist with the Norton Toolbar and especially the Vault function with the recent updates of Firefox.

To quote sections of Sunil GA30's post "Firefox recently removed support for APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) that Norton was using communicate securely between the Norton product and the Norton extension for Firefox.  This was a fundamental component of our design; hence changing this is a big project for Norton."

Accepted - but you did not reflect the enormity of the exercise in your information updates to your customers

"Since it will take a long time to restore the full capabilities of the Firefox toolbar, we have been pursuing an incremental update strategy to ensure future support for Firefox." 

Understood - but you did not tell us the truth - you lead us to believe that all would be fixed by the end of October.

"First priority was to release protection-related features and then concentrate efforts on the Vault features in a subsequent release"

Agreed

"We announced this approach in advance but in the end, this approach confused some customers who upgraded Firefox with the assumption that the Vault would be there as well."

Your advised (amongst other alternatives) in your initial post:

• Consider delaying the use of Firefox 41.  If you have already updated to Firefox 41, consider downgrading to Firefox 40.  If you are using Firefox 40 or earlier - delay updating Firefox to version 41. More information on this is coming shortly.

Withe respect for those of us who followed that advice - or like me chose to use FF ESR 38 - we would still have been stuffed by your arbitrarily updating our toolbar plugin without asking!!

If FF 40 or FF ESR 38 are insecure in your opinion why did you not let us know rather than destroy our attempts to retain the full functionality of Norton Toolbar (including the Vault) by forcibly updating us to Toolbar versions that you knew would not work?

Your suggestions for "workarounds are just not acceptable to many of us" and your sign-off "Thank you for your understanding and continuous support" indicates that you have not bothered reading the comments in this user forum or have chosen to ignore them. If you had read and understood them you would know that we do not understand your lamentable lack of honesty and complete truthfullness in your explanations - you, as yet, have not said "We are sorry we underestimated the problem and should have told you before now that a complete solution will take x, y or z weeks more"

Also please, why is it that LastPass and Dashlane seem to have achieved full "in browser" integration and we Norton users have not

You should promise to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth in the future- otherwise you destroy our faith in your probity. Your first step might be to apologise?

Regards

weeshus

Kudos1 Stats

weeshus, Thank You for posting on this Thread.

Have to wonder why a new thread was started by Norton, they should also provide links from all the threads talking about the problem, or is Norton ignoring reading threads?????

Agree with your replies. 

Just have to add there are many vendors  (at least 8 more then you mentioned providing other functions) that didn't seem to have issues with updating their interface to FF42. 

We have installed 1password on over 60 machines, and everyone is happy with it at our company. Most are commenting they like it better then Identity.  Reviewing A/V options before norton renewals start rolling around.

Kudos0

weeshus:

To quote sections of Sunil GA30's post "Firefox recently removed support for APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) that Norton was using communicate securely between the Norton product and the Norton extension for Firefox.  This was a fundamental component of our design; hence changing this is a big project for Norton."

Accepted - but you did not reflect the enormity of the exercise in your information updates to your customers

"Since it will take a long time to restore the full capabilities of the Firefox toolbar, we have been pursuing an incremental update strategy to ensure future support for Firefox." 

Understood - but you did not tell us the truth - you lead us to believe that all would be fixed by the end of October.

I am looking at the original announcement of September 21, 2015, where it is stated that "We have a project underway to redesign the Norton Toolbar extension for Firefox. It's a big project that requires significant time and resources, and we had to make some tough short-term decisions" and "We estimate to have a new toolbar available around the end of October 2015 focusing on web protection features like Norton Safe Web. We expect to restore the remaining toolbar functionality at a later release."  [Italics, mine]  

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/firef...

Kudos1 Stats

Well this is the straw that broke the camel's back norton is incompetent fix things my subscription ended now and I am buying kaspersky better than this train wreck of a mess. see ya norton
Kudos1 Stats

Sunil-GA30's posting of November 17th - several months to resolve - what is that supposed to mean? 2 months, 3 months - 12 months - surely they can be more specific than that, already been on it for a good two months. Reference to Firefox 40 did not work in my case. Did not upgrade to 41 but still had problem. Another Norton posting a while back said the patch that was issued affected Firefox 38 - 42 - be nice to have a consistent 'story' from Norton - why they can't solve the issue?. I am using, by preference, Internet Explorer which does still work although Firefox works better on certain sites so was using it for them.

Kudos1 Stats

Its time to leave norton if they take seveal months to fix a toolbar what would happen if something big went wrong?
Kudos1 Stats

For me, it's a race between my subscription running out and Norton fixing this disaster.

If my sub runs out first, I'm gone.   Norton will lose another customer.

If Norton fixes this mess, I MIGHT stay if they apologize for this mess and do some serious butt kissing by extending my sub 6-12 months for free.   

Norton has been a decent product, but this fiasco has damaged their reputation.

Kudos1 Stats

Advice, please:

To me, the Toolbar is ID Safe and Safe Web. I have changed to LastPass for logins. Now, If I change to the Web of Trust (WOT) add-on for Firefox, is it good enough so I can remove the Norton Toolbar completely?

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

Puzzled Look:  To me, the Toolbar is ID Safe and Safe Web. I have changed to LastPass for logins. Now, If I change to the Web of Trust (WOT) add-on for Firefox, is it good enough so I can remove the Norton Toolbar completely?

Take a look at Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox and Fox Web Security

Kudos1 Stats

Several months???? I am so dumb founded I don't have a response. I was not expecting this kind of update on progress. Are you on a shoestring budget? I have to go search for a new security program.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.