• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Firefox 42.0 and Norton Toolbar a no-go (11/3/15)

I was hoping that the patch delivered this a.m. would be the 'fix'.  In Firefox Add-ons, I found what I think is a new Norton Toolbar.  However, there was a problem there.  See PDF image.  Firefox didn't install the add-on, but says proceed with caution.  How do I do that?  There's no information that states how that is done.  Norton and Firefox are fully updated.  Art is sad.

File Attachment: 
Words of Wisdom: ["THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS"] - Grandparents [There has never been an original thought.] - Someone, I'm sure [I've spent my whole life 'polishing turds'] - Me

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Firefox 42.0 and Norton Toolbar a no-go (11/3/15)

Please review > Firefox 41 and 42 Support for Norton Toolbar

Proceed with caution indicates = new version 2015.5.6.76 signature needs to be verified by Mozilla.
Norton is working with Firefox to get the Toolbar verified soon and a separate patch will be released to address this.

Kudos0

Well, this didn't fix my problem, but at least I have a better understanding on what's going on.  Thank you, my friend.  - Art

Words of Wisdom: ["THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS"] - Grandparents [There has never been an original thought.] - Someone, I'm sure [I've spent my whole life 'polishing turds'] - Me
Kudos1 Stats

I have EXACTLY the same disappointing situation as the originator of this thread. I hope Norton will resolve this frustrating situation soon. The Norton toolbar is always lost for a while at each update of Firefox. Couldn't Norton and Firefox come to some arrangement whereby both their updates can occur together?

Kudos2 Stats

This comment is addressed to both Firefox and to Symantec/Norton:

1) No doubt, there is "at least" a chance that I underestimate the work/coordination/time involved in ensuring that new releases of Firefox have a compatible/updated Identify Safe toolbar.

2) No doubt: Firefox and Norton grossly underestimate the number of Firefox users who will NOT use Firefox until it has a compatible/updated Identity Safe toolbar.

3) No doubt: Norton clearly has a priority on having a compatible/updated Identity Safe toolbar for Internet Explorer because it ALWAYS exists.

4) No doubt: Norton clearly has a VERY LOW PRIORITY on having a compatible/updated Identify Safe toolbar for new releases of Firefox because the current trend is an unacceptable list of excuses that Norton continues to use as to why they cannot have a compatible/updated Identity Safe toolbar for new releases of Firefox until some future undisclosed timeframe (completely unacceptable to your clients/customers!).

5) Lastly no doubt: If having a compatible/updated Identity Safe toolbar for new releases of Firefox was a JOINT priority (which it SHOULD BE) for both Firefox and Norton, I would not have to submit this post -- so I can only hope that it just MIGHT resonate with both Firefox and Norton.

Kudos1 Stats

5077castle: I have EXACTLY the same disappointing situation as the originator of this thread. I hope Norton will resolve this frustrating situation soon. The Norton toolbar is always lost for a while at each update of Firefox. Couldn't Norton and Firefox come to some arrangement whereby both their updates can occur together?

We recommend that you have the latest version of Norton Security or Norton Security with Backup or Norton Internet Security or Norton 360 installed, version 22.5.4.24. If you are not seeing the Norton Toolbar in Firefox 41 & 42, check that you are running NS, NSwB 22.5.4.24, NIS, N360, NAV 22.5.4.24. If not, please visit our Norton Update Center to receive the latest update.

You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version. It will appear in the LiveUpdate history as Norton Toolbar Add-on for Firefox.

Compatibility of Norton Toolbar and Norton Identity Safe with Mozilla Firefox Knowledge Base

Kudos0

I thought Norton Internet Security and N360 ended with version 21 (2014), did they not?
Kudos1 Stats

jbwnor:
I thought Norton Internet Security and N360 ended with version 21 (2014), did they not?

Nope.     https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-internet-security-norton-360-norton-antivirus-2254-update-available-now

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

How do I uninstall Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76? Now, I basically have to do all manual logins. I got on chat with customer support and he showed me where I can find the vault in Norton 360, but it doesn't update logins and you can't login from there, you can just look up whatever passwords you had. I already deleted Firefox 42 and went back to 40.0.3 now I just want to get rid of this new Identity Safe until it's a workable solution with Firefox.

I certainly will never upgrade Identity Safe again without checking the community and making sure it works first! This is totally unacceptable!

Kudos1 Stats

It's not as iff this is new... This crap has been going on for years... Sheesh.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello Hondoj

To get rid of that new Toolbar, you would have to go back to an older version of your Norton program before version 22.5.4.24. I think that would work. You would also have to turn off the check for new updates in the Norton program.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks for the reply floplot. I tried to download Norton360 from my account and reinstall it but it just reinstalls the same lousy new version.
 Where can I find the previous version? Any ideas?

Thank you for help.

Kudos0

Update for floplot. Just got off chat with customer service, again. Apparently they perpetrate the updates to the tool bar through liveupdate and you have to run it to keep your virus definitions up to date. Their solution is to not use Firefox but go to Chrome or Internet Explorer (now Edge) both of which I hate! I guess we're just screwed until they get their act together.

Thank you anyway!

Kudos0

Jhill110 said:  "It's not as iff this is new... This crap has been going on for years... Sheesh."

Yeah, Firefox is the 'red-headed step-child' of browsers.  BTW, have you ever been in Key West, FL?  - Art

Kudos1 Stats

deleted

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

Hi, Hondoj. This link should get you the previous 360 version.

http://www.norton.com/oldn360

If you use it, please be sure to turn off Automatic update to new version.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thank you everyone for your tips. I did already have the latest version of Firefix 42.0 and the Norton Identity Safe update 2015.5.6.76 installed into it, but still no Identity Safe showing in my Firefox window. I do have the Norton Safe icon working (with the green tick) in the top RH corner which takes up a whole line but there is nothing else in that line, so I guess that is the Norton Toolbar but where is icon to get into my Identity Safe? I appreciate that Norton are working to resolve the problem - hopefully! It would be nice if Norton would tell us all when an update will be issued to correct this frustrating anomaly. And will they work more closely with Firefox in the future to prevent these annoying Firefox update issues occurring in the future?

Kudos1 Stats

Hello castle

The Identity Safe and remaining parts of the toolbar are being worked on by the Team comprised of Symantec Employees. Symantec will not give out a date for completion because of all the complaints if it doesn't get revealed on time. That can be seen by all the complaints even though the end of the month came out on a weekend which is the time when most of the staff is off. So now the Announcements of new products or updates gets announced when the update is actually pushed out. Even we (GURU's) don't get advance notice. It's usually us who ask what's this file or update that we received and then we are told what it is and the Announcement gets written and posted.

The updates of new Toolbars changes should not take this long again unless Mozilla makes major changes to the Toolbar again. Work on new Toolbars can not proceed based on beta programs since betas are always changed which would result in Norton having to keep changing the code and Toolbar every time a new beta would come out.. They will not do something 4 times because there happens to be 4 different Betas.

It is advised to set your Firefox not to automatically update but to notify when there is an update. By doing this, you can install the new Norton Toolbar first and then install the Firefox update..

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello Flopot, thanks for a full and detailed reply. I fully appreciate the problem that Norton is having with this particular update as Firefox has made a big change to its own software so the incompatibility was that much greater this time. You have explained it well. I think your suggestion is a good one and I shall do in future, i.e. manually update Firefox after the Norton toolbar has been issued. Maybe we should now go away and let Norton get on with its job as I am sure they are working hard and as quickly as they can to issue a solution that will satisfy everyone. Thanks.

Kudos0

bjm_:

Proceed with caution indicates = new version 2015.5.6.76 signature needs to be verified by Mozilla.
Norton is working with Firefox to get the Toolbar verified soon and a separate patch will be released to address this.

Thanks for that updated news. Good to know that Symantec is working with Mozilla and has not the arrogance of Kaspersky, who has refused to work with Malwarebytes to fix the Kaspersky-Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit issue. Malwarebytes has the solution, but Kaspersky refuses to talk to them , so Malwarebytes is doing all the work in  MBAE on it's own to fix it. The latest MBAE beta includes the fix.

Looks like Symantec has greater wisdom than Kaspersky :-)

Hopefully a solution will be found soon.

Kudos0

hok,
I've read a little how K2016 is stepping on some companion products.
I've also read Norton did some stepping via 22.5.4

As security product A expands their focus of protection or simply evolves. 
Always a chance A bumps B.
Why would K do anything for MB

Kudos0

hok:
bjm_:

Thanks for that updated news. Good to know that Symantec is working with Mozilla and has not the arrogance of Kaspersky, who has refused to work with Malwarebytes to fix the Kaspersky-Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit issue. Malwarebytes has the solution, but Kaspersky refuses to talk to them , so Malwarebytes is doing all the work in  MBAE on it's own to fix it. The latest MBAE beta includes the fix.

Looks like Symantec has greater wisdom than Kaspersky :-)

Hopefully a solution will be found soon.

MalwareBytes has released the new v1.08 Anti Exploit program final version, which is now compatible with Kaspersky.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thanks for the link F4E. I downloaded the previous version and tried to install it, unfortunately it says it's incompatible with Windows 10. Kind of strange since I had a previous version that worked fine Windows 10 before the infamous upgrade. I guess I'm stuck till Norton gets us a working version so that Identity Safe is usable again...someday. Appreciate the attempt to help.

Kudos1 Stats

Since I was having problems with Firefox "not responding" I decided to try Opera.  Since Opera can't use Norton Identity Safe I decided to try Last Past secure password vault.  I had to learn it (not hard) then little by little incorporate my passwords into it (often by opening Identity Safe directly from the Norton 360 program).  Now I use Opera all the time.  It does everything Firefox does, doesn't stop responding and is lightning fast.

So as a backup for logging into various Social Media under different usernames I've added Last Pass to Firefox.  It was easy to install, lightning fast.  Now I'll be completely removing Identity Safe from Firefox.  What a RELIEF it is to say goodbye forever to Identity Safe.

I don't know if Norton Community will consider this solving this Forum Thread, BUT IT DOES.

Good luck.

Kudos0

You're genius! After reading your post, I installed LastPass on my PC and enabled it on Firefox. I imported my Identify Safe passwords from an exported .csv file and it DOES do everything Identity Safe did, and it works now! It solves the problem for me and now Norton can take all the time they want to fix the problem--I don't care.

Thanks for the hint!

Kudos0

Thanks for the compliment. You'll see that Last Pass seems to work with all the major browsers including the Windows version of the MAC browser Safari.  So if you decide Firefox is giving you trouble you have options there too (Opera turned out great for me - has all the functional extensions I need, doesn't crash or "not respond" and is lightning fast).

Everyone on this Forum seems to agree that Norton's issue with Firefox is ongoing (for years now).  Last Pass just works without hassle.

My next goal is to find a replacement for Norton AntiVirus.  It's too much of a resource hog.

Good luck!

Kudos0

Hello

Norton Security is as light as can be as far as resources go. Can't tell it's on my computer. From what I hear, Firefox is the resource hog and always seems to have issues if the keep coming out with children of the main browser.

Thanks.

Kudos0

We have been hearing this tune for more than a month. How about an estimated date to fix?

Kudos0

Hello Jim1937

If I had an estimated date for a fix, I would be glad to tell everyone. It's still the weekend so I definitely don't have any new information. I am truly waiting to hear that this project is complete and is being pushed out, but I don't have this information yet.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Weekend?

I thought it was Wednesday today in the US?

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

oops----when retired---every day seems like the weekend--

Kudos1 Stats

Norton said in their last document that it's a no-go and they have no interest in fixing it.  They said it's probably a permanent no-go or will be at the lowest of their priority list.  Their solution, use Chrome or IE, or edit and paste logins in.  Neither is acceptable to me.  And the only reason I paid another $60 for Norton was because of Identity Safe.  Anyone know any work-arounds around NORTON?!!!  Enough is enough.  Do other AV's have things similar to identity safe and the auto logon features of it.  I am a 10-year Norton customer with about 100 days (or hopefully less) to use it's product.  I will not renew.  Is Kaspersky still ranked #1?

Kudos1 Stats

Pete D.:

Norton said in their last document that it's a no-go and they have no interest in fixing it.  They said it's probably a permanent no-go or will be at the lowest of their priority list. 

This is what I read: "We are evaluating the impact of these works-in-progress by Firefox with the goal of delivering a release that will have strong security, highly compatible and well-supported by future versions of Firefox," and going on to say that it may take several more months before everything is once again fully functional.  Not great news, but certainly nowhere near saying that they are abandoning the product.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/faqs-norton-toolbar-compatibility...

Kudos1 Stats

See my solution on this page. I've replaced Identity Safe with Last Pass.  After learning how to use Last Pass (actually easier than Identity Safe) I use it on all my browsers. It's great - lightning fast and very secure.

Kudos0

UPDATE 11-26-15: Since posting this I have installed Last Pass on the following browsers:

1) Firefox
2) Chrome
3) Internet Explorer
4) Opera
5) Safari for Windows
6) Vivaldi

Last Pass works beautifully on all these browsers & NEVER has an issue when the browser is upgraded.  Replacing Identity Safe with Last Pass was the best move I could have made regarding my password software. I keep Identity Safe on my computer so I can transfer passwords from there to Last Pass as needed when logging in. When my Norton Subscription expires I will more than likely eliminate Identity Safe altogether. 

Good luck.

Kudos0

I just downloaded lastpass and will try it out.  Looks like that might be the solution.  And I can take it with me when I find a new AV.  $60 (or more) JUST TO RENEW is a killer.  Norton is known as a resource hog and it is not even in the top 3 anymore in a lot of ratings.  Maybe the absence of Norton will make Firefox (which I'm not giving up) even better.

Thanks for the advice.

Kudos0

Last Pass means "cloud" and then not on YOUR computers.  Best hope is to wait for Norton Identity Safe to be finished, and then we who still use ID Safe locally will be happy again.

Kudos0

One can export the Last Pass password file to a memory stick or a folder on a computer if one wants to. Also Norton ID Safe uses the cloud as well. One of my computers crashed and all I had to do was log in to my Norton account to retrieve my IDs.

After using Identity Safe for almost 10-years, I now find Last Pass far superior. It's faster. It's more reliable. It never disappears when a new browser version comes out.  And, as I stated, I installed it on all those browsers in my previous post.  

I understand why far more people use Last Pass than Identity Safe.  To each his own, but once I have ALL my passwords transferred over from Norton ID Safe (still have about 20 to go), I'll removed ID safe from my computer and NEVER bring it back.

Good luck all.

Kudos0

With just a bit of patience learning the new software I hope you find Last Pass as perfect a replacement for Identity Safe as I did.

Good luck finding a new AV. I believe I'll be looking for one as well. I've used Norton since 1996, and it's been fairly reliable over the years. But when there's a problem it's usually a major annoyance.  As you say, and I agree with you, it's a resource hog.  Someone else in this thread disagrees with that statement, but I don't see how. It's always slowed me down,and EVERY year there was a continuous issue with ID Safe keeping up with updated browsers. Like 5-10 times a year with various browsers. It gets old.

Good luck.

Kudos0

Hello

You can still keep your Norton product and just don't use ID Safe. I have it installed on my computer, and have it turned on, but I never use ID Safe. I still like to see the Annotations when I use Google. Sorry, but I don't use Firefox either.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I did not know there were a way for LastPass to make the logins combinations local.  I'll need to recheck the add-on or extension.  I will need to learn how LastPass works, how to use it.

MY Norton Identity-Safe IS LOCAL - NOT in the cloud vault!  

As for ID  Safe not yet working in Firefox, I now am learning to use the password-saving system already available in Firefox, and it works very well.

Norton's current not having ID Safe for Firefox, not a major problem for me, so I plan to continue using Norton 360 and when later necessary, changing to Norton Security.

Kudos0

Hello gcc

So you have found a workable workaround that you can use until the new IDVault is ready. Please keep your id safe file backed up in the CSV file format and the .dll format so you can import it into that program which you are using. It's taking Norton so long because they want to develop a program which will work and also be safe for all your credentials.

Thanks.

Kudos0

"... .dll format..."

I think floplot means .DAT format.   

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

What?

floplot, I have not found a workaround, unless you mean, using password management already in Firefox - in that case, then I understand, and that might be the workaround.  The trouble is that I put in each login combination one at a time, as I visit each log-in-able site.  Still, it is useful.

I do not know how to keep my ID Safe file backed up nor in CSV form nor what you mean by ".dll" format.  I just use LOCAL norton 360 vault on my own computer and have no skills about anything advanced - I just use local vault and the passwords and logins get filled-in  (except for a few lapses on a couple of sites).

Kudos0

Hello Krusty13

I know it's dat format. I think these fingers type what they want to type sometimes. Thanks anyway. I don't know why I typed dll instead Maybe too much food at Thanksgiving Day dinner today..

Thanks.

Kudos0

@floplot

If they wanted to add safety wouldn't 2 factor authentication be the thing to add?
One of the reasons why some corporations prefer LastPass over Nortons IDVault.

Kudos1 Stats

Joerg Baermann:

If they wanted to add safety wouldn't 2 factor authentication be the thing to add?
One of the reasons why some corporations prefer LastPass over Nortons IDVault.

Two factor authentication is already available for your Norton Account which, of course, must be accessed before you can open your online vault.  So, if you enable 2FA, access to your vault will require a verification code along with two strong, separate passwords.

Two Step Verification for Norton account

Kudos0

It solves it for me.  I'm done with Norton now that you found Last Pass.  Now I can use AVG Free or Kaspersky or something.

Pete

Kudos0

Hello SOJ

Thanks for responding.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I'm happy Last Pass worked out for you.  As a faithful Norton subscriber since 1996 I hate to say it but their support of Identity Safe has been less than impressive.  I'll be moving on as well.

Good luck.

Kudos0

Hello g_cafe_c,

The password saving system already available in Firefox and ANY of the browsers are easily hacked. That's why the independent Password software programs have become so popular.

My Norton ID Safe is local but ALSO available at my Norton login online. I have actually had to use the cloud to rescue my passwords when my computer crashed after I recently crushed the memory stick containing a copy of the ID safe passwords.  The online site at Norton helped me rebuild my local access.  I'm surprised to learn you don't have cloud access.

Good luck.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.