• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Firefox 43.0 and Norton Toolbar "Identity Safe" Do Not Work

As the title states. Before you ask, yes this is Firefox 43.0 final not a BETA. Perhaps Symantec will release an update via Live Update by tomorrow or something like in the past. But I'll leave this here.

Screenshot:

No simple way to force it to enable either.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Firefox 43.0 and Norton Toolbar "Identity Safe" Do Not Work

did you try the override switch...?

1. Type about:config in the Firefox address bar and hit enter.
  2. Confirm that you will be careful if a warning page is displayed.
  3. Use the search at the top to find xpinstall.signatures.require.
  4. Double-click on the preference to toggle its value so that it is set to false.

Doing so allows you to install unsigned extensions in the Firefox web browser. Please note that the override will be removed in Firefox 44 Stable and Beta.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/04/here-are-you-options-for-running-unsigned-add-ons-in-firefox/

Kudos0

Installing any version of Firefox before its official release date (Firefox 43's is tomorrow) is asking for Norton trouble.  Norton does not officially support any version until the scheduled release date.

Kudos0

Thanks bjm_

Yes SoJ I know that. But given the current state of the toolbar I wasn't expecting it to be ready for the official release either. Considering Firefox 43.0 rejects all add-ons without signatures and the current toolbar is unverified.

Kudos1 Stats

And patched/verified;

Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.86

Kudos0

Thanks, SGFC

Kudos0

FF43 disabled LastPass on one of my machines. 

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

So, I am on FF 42, but did get this update today. Are you saying that if I update FF to 43 my IDSafe is going to work? If not, what was this update for?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Kudos0

MPSAN: So, I am on FF 42, but did get this update today. Are you saying that if I update FF to 43 my IDSafe is going to work? If not, what was this update for?

Toolbar/ID Safe remains work in progress w FF43.
Firefox 43 Support for Norton Toolbar
the update was to apply verified signature to partial function Toolbar....no more Proceed with caution (for now).  
FF43 blocks unsigned Add-ons (with override to be removed in FF44)
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/15/firefox-43-find-out-what-is-new/

Kudos0

Thank you!

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Kudos0

I updated Firefox to 43.0, I did the LiveUpdate on Norton, I got the patch, AND IT STILL WOULD NOT ENABLE. I had to do the about:config override switch. If this is required PLEASE put it in the Announcement!!!! And please get the Toolbar fixed before the next revision as the override goes away.

I truly feel sorry for people who are not savvy enough or use this forum.

P.S. I am using KeePass/KeeFox - it is great and stores data locally.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi, folks. What I had to do after Firefox 43 updates was to click on the 3 parallel lines top right, and click on Customise.

Then I right clicked on the Norton Toolbar icon, and selected add to toolbar. Now it's there.

As mentioned the Toolbar is now verified, and this is the interim fix until the ID Safe issue is fixed.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

tntschiff:  I updated Firefox to 43.0, I did the LiveUpdate on Norton, I got the patch, AND IT STILL WOULD NOT ENABLE. I had to do the about:config override switch. If this is required PLEASE put it in the Announcement!!!! And please get the Toolbar fixed before the next revision as the override goes away.

Before updating Firefox, please ensure Norton patch is on-board and settled in.

You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version. It will appear in the LiveUpdate history as Norton Toolbar Add-on. 

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/firefox-43-limited-compatibility-norton-toolbar

Kudos1 Stats

I would like to urge Symantec to expedite the integration of Identity Safe (an excellent utility) into the newer versions of Firefox. In my opinion, compared to other browsers that support it, Firefox worked seamlessly with Identity Safe. I sorely miss this smooth functionality. The other browsers (IE and Chrome) would at times not display all my available logins for certain sites, while Firefox would, without fail. In addition, on Chrome, the Norton Toolbar would obscure a part of the web page. Symantec, please hurry. I appreciate the good work you're already doing and the fine products you have. All the best.

Kudos0

Hello folks

Please don't forget it's the Holiday season now for a great many folks now.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Merry Christmas...

Kudos1 Stats

Still not working since several months. If they are not able to adjust their software to a browser since that long time, how can we trust Norton any further. Therefore, I am thinking and highly recommending to all my firends to switch to another company in order to be more secure in the future.

Kudos0

Hello sahlan

Norton is building the Norton Toolbar for Firefox from the ground up. They released the first phase so far. They said in their Announcements that the Identity Safe and Facebook Scans will be getting released in the coming months. They are ensuring that the toolbar will be secure and workable for future versions of Firefox also.

Have you had any malware attacks since this Toolbar revamping has been going on? I do realize it is an inconvenience, but once the rest of the phases come out, I'm sure that it will be secure. All of your passwords are safe at this time. It is not a question of adjusting. This is a total rebuild of the Toolbar and part of it is done and released. I haven't seen any complaints from users who have used the parts that made up phase 1. The identity Safe is also a stand alone  one.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

I am a student.  My college advises that we use Firefox for our online and blended in-class/online classes, because Chrome and Explorer are not compatible with their programs.  I tried different internet security companies that also provide a password storage and auto fill using free trials.  I liked many of them.  In the end, I chose Norton 360.  I remember using Norton on Macs with the little doctor character.  My age is showing.  I am a forty-something student.  Norton has been around forever.  Part of the reason I chose Norton was the fact that I am familiar with their company, and I had no problems in the past.

As a student, there are many sites affiliated with my classes and multiple passwords to remember...not to mention other sites that I use to order products,  to check my accounts, or to pay bills .  I am busy and love the convenience of Identity Safe.  I am not interested in downloading a different password program while Norton and Firefox figure things out.  I paid for the whole package, which included Identity Safe.  I am losing time that is invaluable to me.  Identity Safe was the reason I ended up choosing Norton 360.  There are other companies that have highly rated internet protection and password protection/auto-fill.  Identity Safe was what tipped my decision.  It is user friendly and made my life easier.

I have been patient for months. At this time, I am out of patience.  This semester I am taking five classes, and my time is limited.  I am not interested in a free subscription or months added to my account.  You have lost me as a customer.  It is that simple. 

Kudos0

I have been patient for months. At this time, I am out of patience.  This semester I am taking five classes, and my time is limited.  I am not interested in a free subscription or months added to my account.  You have lost me as a customer.  It is that simple. 

I am graduate student in medicine. I'm in my 12 year of college and nearly done with college. There are only some formalities left for me to complete then I get to breath the temporary relief of freedom to move about freely and see if there is still a world to practice medicine in.

I use a number of research libraries, I count 60 roughly right now to be sure that I can deliver the highest standards of health care the populations and humans that encounter my practice. The key to delivering the highest quality of health care and ensuring the best patient outcomes at the lowest cost.

This lack of support has I hope cost Norton something because it has cost me personally to not be able to deliver the care my patients deserve. It is a real issue, and the best thing that can be done is to withdraw our support for your Products and company. Lesson learned, support your customers or loose them, get ahead of the curve. In my profession we fall behind once and someone is dead, it seems that if Norton falls behind, they just disappear like the way the VA is handling its patients. " As America watched in horror for 20 months while the VA did nothing the results were as Congressional Candidate reminds us:

""Dale Barnett must have forgotten that 307,000 died last year [September 2015].  That is one for nearly every employee that works for the VA [305,000].  Out of the dead, 19,500 are victims of the “Mistakes/errors/incompetence,” Dale Barnett briefly discussed; some [Reporters and Judges] called them “Murders” and “Homicides.”  We still do not know the names of the Dead in Phoenix, all 293 victims that the VA themselves stated was the correct number.""

Norton has dropped the ball again on this one and we, are gone.

Kudos0

PS: I am no newbie!

Kudos1 Stats

You are absolutely right, its ridiculous, its taken months and months and still not sorted out.

I have used Firefox for years because problems with IE but no choice now as can't always use google effectively on some websites..

Please Norton, sort this out   Norton Identity Safe   2016.5.6.90 is now loaded and still not fixed.

And we're paying for product which is supposed to be available the three platforms.

Kudos1 Stats

Continuing to apologize for Norton and rationalize this totally unreasonable delay helps no one.

At this point in time, the delay is beyond ridiculous and unbelievable.  There are no excuses to justify this at all.

To rebuild Identity Safe for Firefox in no way should take so so long- it is clearly not a priority for Norton and they evidently are not devoting many of their resources to get this done- no matter what they may tell you.  Proof of that is it is near the end of January 2016 and it isn't done.

Kudos1 Stats

Consider voting with your wallet, it's the only true leverage you have.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.