• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos3 Stats

FIREFOX18 TOOLBAR NOT SUPPORTED FOR NIS2012/360 AFTER JANUARY, 6 2013

NOTE this announcement from Tony Weiss that Norton will not be supporting Firefox 18 toolbar if you are using NIS2012/360 software as of January 6 2013 so if you want toolbar support you will have to update to nis 2013/360,2013.. NOTE THAT NORTON IS NOT DROPPING SUPPORT FOR GOOGLE CHROME IN NORTON 2012 PRODUCTS FOR MORE INFO GO TO    http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Firefox-17-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/853416

Replies

Kudos0

Re: FIREFOX18 TOOLBAR NOT SUPPORTED FOR NIS2012/360 AFTER JANUARY, 6 2013

NOTE this announcement from Tony Weiss that Norton will not be supporting Firefox 18 toolbar if you are using NIS2012/360 software as of January 6 2013 so if you want toolbar support you will have to update to nis 2013/360,2013.. NOTE THAT NORTON IS NOT DROPPING SUPPORT FOR GOOGLE CHROME IN NORTON 2012 PRODUCTS FOR MORE INFO GO TO    http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Firefox-17-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/853416

Kudos5 Stats

Symantec's true colours have been revealed!

The uptake of the 2013 versions must be so poor that they are almost forcing Firefox users to upgrade (said very loosely) to a flawed and faulty version.

The online vault is still a work in progress which as we all can tell is still unreliable and the 2013 versions were released to meet a deadline and we are still seeing many problems and not many solutions.

Nice going Symantec!  

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hi Krusty13 I almost missed the small detail that norton posted about this problem  good thing with my old eyes I have a habit of reading things thourgh more than one time or i may have missed this info. I posted it here to make sure that it will be seen by more people  ALF60

Kudos0

When in doubt, uninstall / reinstall :smileywink:Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit), Norton Internet Security 2013, Internet Explorer 10, SpywareBlaster
Kudos4 Stats

Well that tears it for me. I will not be going to NIS 2013 and as FF is my preferred browser I will be looking for another password manager and probably another security suite.

Jim

Kudos1 Stats

ALF60 wrote:

Hi Krusty13 I almost missed the small detail that norton posted about this problem  good thing with my old eyes I have a habit of reading things thourgh more than one time or i may have missed this info. I posted it here to make sure that it will be seen by more people  ALF60

If you hadn't of noticed that disappointing news I may have been oblivious until FF18 was released.

Thanks again.

Dave

Kudos2 Stats

Symantec strikes again.  They screwed up automatic filling of id and password for FF 17, provided a workaround that the explanation was seriously flawed and today they finally fixed automatic login however they even screwed up the latest fix. 

I ran live update early this morning and saw a patch was downloaded and hoped it was the autofill fix.  Well, After the live update nothing told me that I had to reboot so I figured it was another fix.  Even checked the update list and nothing about the patch.  Just came home and luckily saw the notification that the "patch" was done yet still after running live update no joy.  Decided to try a reboot and voila, auto fill is now working.

Why in the h#$% didn't the live update with the patch tell us that we needed to reboot??  The previous patch notification from Tony Weis said that for my version, no reboot needed.  Just can't believe all the foul ups with Symantc lately.  Almost like they have lost their QC and Beta department and are running with fresh outs!!!!

Kudos2 Stats

NOTE that Norton 2011 products do not support firefox 17 at this time also be aware that on January 6, 2013 firefox 18 Norton 2012 toolbars will not be supported

Kudos0

ALF60 wrote:

NOTE that Norton 2011 products do not support firefox 17 at this time also be aware that on January 6, 2013 firefox 18 Norton 2012 toolbars will not be supported

You will have a couple of months to still use the 2012 versions. As FF 18 is released, Norton will still be supporting FF16 and 17. If you are good with FF17, it will give you a little more time to find an alternative, or upgrade to the by then functional 2013..??

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos2 Stats

I for the life of me can't understand why companies chose sides rather than consumers who buy the products. I use firefox and seems like after every firefox update the identity Safe and toolbar quits, can companies not work together on these issues since firefox is still the major browser these days? I love Norton, but I feeled forced to follow anothers product because a company wants to play favorites.

I prefered NIS 2011 and firefox, if norton wants to force NIS to the latest version, can you at least include a manual with the box? Changes make it where I can't figure out how to configure my norton from one year to the next. I'm running an older PC, should I be forced to buy a new PC just to have norton on it?

Kudos0

It is an unfortunate situation we Firefox users are in. With the constant, almost monthly releases of a new version, they have created this 'monster' of losing support. Mozilla decided to adopt this upgrade cycle, and I believe they are to blame.

Why should companies that support the Firefox browsers be forced into what has become a full time endeavour of monthly update and test cycles, that with most products would be a yearly upgrade.

I want to continue using Firefox, and hopefully Norton will have fixed the problems with the 2013 products that are being reported in the forums before the deadline for the end of support for Firefox.

Kudos1 Stats

NooseNewsome wrote:

...can you at least include a manual with the box?

You can download the product manual here:

http://us.norton.com/support/cs/selectproduct_manuals.jsp#

Kudos1 Stats

The question I have is this, Why can Norton not wait until all of the 2012 keys are expired to exit functionality? I still have 7 months on my subscription of NIS 2012, but yet Norton is crippling it halfway through.

Kudos0

HI I have a unused NIS 2012 key that I was planning to use to renew/update to nis2013  but with all of the problems with the Norton 2013 products and the lack of response to the questions and concerns ( no local id safe #1and lack of suport for older nis ,2010,2011 products and other others problems) asked by Norton customers and the silence about what is being done to answer those questions I have serious reservations about staying/using/ recommending  Norton software to anyone!!!  I have been a long time user of Norton software for over 10 years and I have NOT seen such rude attitude for there users that Norton has    ALF60

Kudos2 Stats

This WILL END my continued use of Norton products on at least one of my machines.

Kudos0

NOTE THAT NORTON IS NOT DROPPING SUPPORT FOR GOOGLE CHROME IN NORTON 2012 PRODUCTS

Kudos0

ALF60 wrote:

NOTE THAT NORTON IS NOT DROPPING SUPPORT FOR GOOGLE CHROME IN NORTON 2012 PRODUCTS

But Chrome is not releasing version upgrades every month.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi peterweb I found this at one of the chrome support channels   Stable channel: This channel has gotten the full testing and blessing of the Chrome test team, and is the best bet to avoid crashes and other issues.  It's updated roughly every two-three weeks for minor releases, and EVERY 6 WEEKS for major releases.   So chrome is updating about the same amount of times that Mozilla/Firefox is doing and chrome started  the rapid release schedule and Mozilla/Firefox unfortunately followed    Chrome was also the first to adopt a rapid release cycle, so if you’re fed up with a new browser number appearing in the About menu every few months, you can thank Google for that too.

Kudos1 Stats

I find it kind of ironic that with long history of the "Norton Confidential plugin crashing Chrome" that they haven't killed support for that browser instead.

Kudos0

This may be a dumb question...can we stay on an earlier versions of FF ?

To lose the Vault and  then to lose my favorite browser...I may have to lose my favorite security software.

I guess to put it in perspective, there are some real issues in my world at the moment that make this whole FF/Vault issue insignificant in comparision.

If we decide to jump ship from a favorite product (there goes that old concept of customer loyalty) that is not so hard to do really, it is just the inconvience of learning something new...which is not a bad thing.

Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos1 Stats

mo wrote:

This may be a dumb question...can we stay on an earlier versions of FF ?

You will be able to stay on FF ver 17 until FF ver 20 is released. This is because Norton only supports 3 versions of FF at a time. As one is released and supported, one is dropped.

After that, if you wish to stay with FF, you will have to go with the 2013 of Norton.

Kudos1 Stats

I've backtracked to FF 16.0.2 and stayed on NIS 2011.

I did consider upgrading to NIS 2012 and FF17 but being as FF18 is probably just round the corner what's the point ?

I'm going to get Kaspersky Pure 2.0 in stock as it's looking like I'm not even going to see my remaining 300 days through at this rate.

Shame really because I've been using NIS since about 2000. I've informd a few colleauges at work about the dilemma who I know use NIS (we are all on 2011) and asked them to make their own mind up and I think they are now considering Pure 2 as well.

Lets be careful out there !
Kudos0

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

I feel like the odd man out. Chrome is about the only browser I can really use. It saved my Internet browsing life, so to speak. I have an old system bought brand new in 2002, when XP was new. It will probably be my last, when support ends April 2014.

IE 8 isn't even worth opening. I keep it updated via windows update and flash player, otherwise it just gathers dust. For lack of a better term, Chrome blows it's doors off. Haven't said that in a long time.

I had been debating on trying Firefox, but if Norton is dropping support for the 2012 products, that blows that. I'm not sure how it would run on my system anyway.

Between the local vault and now this, it seems as though plenty of people will jump the Norton ship from the highest perch.

Ed

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.