• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

This forums Bug

I am pretty adept at using Rich Text and HTML. But the forums doesn't seem to be.

Each time I use the forum, and Preview, I get the error:

    "Please correct the highlighted errors and try again."

Nothing has ever been "highlighted"

It also states, in red the following:

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

The only code, via RT was "Indent ", and also not working, is the "Outdent" - it is always grayed out.

After it "has been removed" by the program, the Indent is dropped and everything indented is back to the far left.

That's not an indent up above, it's a set of spaces.

Not even sure what it will do for this one.

Or, could it be that it is Norton forum script thinking I have IE 6 or older and can't see that it's really IE8?

Like an employee, if it don't work, get rid of it. I

~~If it's OK for government and corporations to steal my privacy, why is it illegal for me to try to take it back?~~

Replies

Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

I am pretty adept at using Rich Text and HTML. But the forums doesn't seem to be.

Each time I use the forum, and Preview, I get the error:

    "Please correct the highlighted errors and try again."

Nothing has ever been "highlighted"

It also states, in red the following:

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

The only code, via RT was "Indent ", and also not working, is the "Outdent" - it is always grayed out.

After it "has been removed" by the program, the Indent is dropped and everything indented is back to the far left.

That's not an indent up above, it's a set of spaces.

Not even sure what it will do for this one.

Or, could it be that it is Norton forum script thinking I have IE 6 or older and can't see that it's really IE8?

Like an employee, if it don't work, get rid of it. I

~~If it's OK for government and corporations to steal my privacy, why is it illegal for me to try to take it back?~~
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

Welcome to the club .....

It is what it is .......

The main problem seems to be that the reply editor rejects the HTML code behind what one copies in from the site itself and this is particularly true if you try to link to a message by copying from the left column of the Message Listing page where the Subject appears -- in your case This Forums Bug -- carries with it HTML code that is specific to that location and not used elsewhere.

There is a specific Forum for things dierctly related to the Forum structure and operation -- Forum Feedback -- so I'll ask for your message to be moved over there or better exposure. You won't lose sight of it because a link will be left here.

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug


huwyngr wrote:

Welcome to the club .....

It is what it is .......

The main problem seems to be that the reply editor rejects the HTML code behind what one copies in from the site itself and this is particularly true if you try to link to a message by copying from the left column of the Message Listing page where the Subject appears -- in your case This Forums Bug -- carries with it HTML code that is specific to that location and not used elsewhere.

There is a specific Forum for things dierctly related to the Forum structure and operation -- Forum Feedback -- so I'll ask for your message to be moved over there or better exposure. You won't lose sight of it because a link will be left here.


The problem is caused by the following bugs in the Forum software:

1. Access to the Preview Engine is only granted *after* you fill in the "reCAPTCHA" item.

2. When using Preview, the reCAPTCHA item is not highlighted as it should be as the cause of failing to preview

3. An Autosave event after filling in the the values but *before* hitting "Preview" will force a need to get a new challenge picture for the Preview to be allowed.

IMO, Preview should not be dependent upon reCAPTACHA - only Posting should be dependent upon reCAPTCHA.

Hope this gets fixed.


 

Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

We all hope it gets fixed too but I do not think it has anything to do with the CAPTCHA thingy since I don't have to go through that and I get exactly the same problem as you describe (and as hundreds of others have described in the past) with being flagged as having invalid HTML code .... even when copying from within the forum.

The only time I've seen it correctly flag a mistake is if you try to post a new message without a Subject .... then that box is highlighted but I'm never looking there so I don't absorb it! And keep trying to correct HTML in the message.

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug


huwyngr wrote:

We all hope it gets fixed too but I do not think it has anything to do with the CAPTCHA thingy since I don't have to go through that and I get exactly the same problem as you describe (and as hundreds of others have described in the past) with being flagged as having invalid HTML code .... even when copying from within the forum.

The only time I've seen it correctly flag a mistake is if you try to post a new message without a Subject .... then that box is highlighted but I'm never looking there so I don't absorb it! And keep trying to correct HTML in the message.


Do the experiment.  I did.  That's how I found out what the problem was.

And I found the problem occurred just using "asdf" as my reply - no quote, no nothing other than "asdf".

Took a while to figure out what was going on - I just kept experimenting until I found the magic combo.

If you don't need reCAPTCHA to preview and have the Preview request be done within a particular Autosave session  - then there is something different about your profile than mine.

Note: I just had the Autosave come up during this particular edit/Preview session and prove the statement - yet again.  And I did *nothing* to the page, other than request a new challenge picture.  Preview worked fine with the fresh challenge phrase in place.

Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

The forum thinks there is a difference ....

Posts: 13,491 
Hugh
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug


huwyngr wrote:

The forum thinks there is a difference ....

Posts: 13,491 

OK, then that would suggest that the cookie set for you (at some considerable time in the past) is different than the cookie set for me (which is only 3 days old).  Or, that there is variation dependent upon userlevel.

And regardless, if Preview requires reCAPTCHA to be current - which I have proven to be indubitably the case for my machine, Forum cookie and userlevel - then the reCAPTCHA line should turn pink when the Preview won't display - just as it does when the reCAPTCHA does turn pink when the reCAPTCHA is aged-out or missing when trying to Post.

Needs further investigation.  If the variation is dependent on the age of cookie - then the reason the bug hasn't been discovered and squashed by now is because those with older cookies set simply won't display the bug.

Dig, Watson!  Dig!  <gets out magnifying glass and puffs pipe enthusiastically>  

Kudos1 Stats

Re: This forums Bug

I thought it had already been explained if not to you to someone else that the CAPTCHA function applies only for a limited period of time to newly registered members and then disappears. I presume it is part of a defence against spamming.

And I have repeatedly tried to explain that the Invalid HTML code flag comes up for ALL OF US regardless of time in the forum.

It is a bug that is known to the company that hosts the forums on their servers -- Lithium -- and only they can fix it.

Sherlock needs to be reminded of the Post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

It's been three years of it.  You will just get to ignore it and click send again the same as the rest of us. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug


huwyngr wrote:

I thought it had already been explained if not to you to someone else that the CAPTCHA function applies only for a limited period of time to newly registered members and then disappears. I presume it is part of a defence against spamming.

And I have repeatedly tried to explain that the Invalid HTML code flag comes up for ALL OF US regardless of time in the forum.

It is a bug that is known to the company that hosts the forums on their servers -- Lithium -- and only they can fix it.

Sherlock needs to be reminded of the Post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy


You are missing the point.  What I have done is describe *why* the bug occurs.  Whether or not the user is within the "need to use reCAPTCHA" postnumber count or not - the problem occurs for every new user who comes on the system, regardless.  And those of us over the postnumber count (which I am told is 10) will not see the bug.  You have to be a new user to experience the problem.

So, now that you now *why* the bug occurs - send the info off to Lithium and get it fixed.  That's all I'm trying to say.

It can be fixed either by making the reCAPTCHA line turn pink when going to Preview if reCAPTCHA is not current  or it can be fixed by not requiring the use of reCAPTCHA when using Preview.  Either thing works.  The way it is now, the only way a new user can figure out how to Preview is by trial-and-error - which is how I found the infernal bug in the first place.  That's why I mentioned...

Dig, Watson! Dig! 

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

The same bug happens after the captcha period is over so there is no reason to believe that captcha is causing it for us "old timers" which hopefully you will become.

But I can't add anything more.

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

twixt:

You may be perfectly correct in what you say but it is NOT the only reason for the error that you are seeing.  We all still get it occasionally.  I got the same thing just recently and I have been here since 2008.  We have complained about it before.  If Lithium was ever planning on fixing it, they would have done so by now. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug


delphinium wrote:

twixt:

You may be perfectly correct in what you say but it is NOT the only reason for the error that you are seeing.  We all still get it occasionally.  I got the same thing just recently and I have been here since 2008.  We have complained about it before.  If Lithium was ever planning on fixing it, they would have done so by now. 



Hi, delphinium.  Then this would indicate we are talking about two separate bugs.

Bug 1 (the one I describe) will only occur for people with a postcount less than 10 (IOW Newbie, Visitor and the first post after an upgrade to Contributor). 

Unfortunately, these are exactly the people for whom Preview is likely to be something they really want to use.  And when it doesn't work - and then they have the experience of having no idea why they can't preview - their first experience of the Forums is soured by that.  Not very good at all.

That's why I did the digging I did.

I found the problem, noted the circumstances, and replied to iNic describing what I had found and the resolution to the problem.

So, I suggest that this bug (Bug 1) be fixed.  It only affects users where reCAPTCHA is in place.

I now think I understand that huwyngr's original response to iNic is in reference to the bug you "old boys" are describing (Bug 2).  I think this is an HTML display-complexity bug where the Forum Software is overwhelmed in its analysis of the HTML - such that it flags the post as defective even when it is not.  reCAPTCHA is not involved in this situation.

Bug 2 is something different entirely from the bug I think iNic was describing - because he was a Contributor at the time of his post and still in the "must use reCAPTCHA" phase of his experience here.

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

Considering that iNic has 36 posts and is well past the captcha, it would seem more likely that it would be your bug 2.  Regardless, a difference which makes no difference is no difference.  Maybe Lithium will eventually look at it.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug


delphinium wrote:

Considering that iNic has 36 posts and is well past the captcha, it would seem more likely that it would be your bug 2.  Regardless, a difference which makes no difference is no difference.  Maybe Lithium will eventually look at it.



You did not read my original post, or you did not comprehend my original post.

A new user puts "asdf" into the Rich Text box.  That's all he puts in the box.  And the problem is as I describe.

Bug 1 has nothing to do with Bug 2.

Now, can Bug 2 occur in a Bug 1 situation?  Of course.

But the two are not the same thing.

You "old boys" - by your continual making-of-excuses and rationalizing -the-problem - are perpetuating something that is fixable.  You are causing new users angst for no reason.  This is stupid from a business-practices POV.  Stop it.

Bug 1 is a *simple* problem, and easy to fix.  I might consider Bug 2 something more complex, but I don't know enough about the situation to comment intelligently.  So I wont.

Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

twixt,

You have 'assumed' that you are the first to notice or report on the problem. You are also aware that the software is the property of another company and they have the responsibility to make and necessary repairs. Which makes you rants at the other users, who do not have the access or authority, to make the changes sound rather childish and very much out of place.

As a note of information not everyone here is an 'old boy'

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug


dickevans wrote:

twixt,

You have 'assumed' that you are the first to notice or report on the problem. You are also aware that the software is the property of another company and they have the responsibility to make and necessary repairs. Which makes you rants at the other users, who do not have the access or authority, to make the changes sound rather childish and very much out of place.

As a note of information not everyone here is an 'old boy'



Hi, Dick.  Agreed, with the proviso that we are talking about Bug 2 not Bug 1.  Bug 1 is - as far as I can see from the subsequent information provided - not the problem reported in the originating post.

Regardless, the Bug 1 situation remains to be dealt with.

And I am quite aware that there are lots of people here who aren't "old boys".  That does not excuse the situation.

I am also perfectly aware that the problem is outside the Forum Messenger's (any Forum Messenger's) control.  That does not mean it is acceptable to explain-away the situation rather than report it and have it dealt with productively.

Bug 1 needs acknowledging and fixing.  Especially because it is a new-user front-facing bug.  A person entering the Forums for the first time needs to have the smoothest experience possible - because they're usually coming here because something else is broken as far as they are concerned.  New Users don't get to use Preview with the situation as it is - even with the simplest of responses - because of Bug 1.  Worse than that, there is no explanation for why Preview fails in that situation.  They're just left stuck and incapable of doing anything other than posting a sloppy message.

And , to reiterate, that is not the way for Symantec as a corporation or "the powers that be" in the Forum to win friends and influence people.

All that is required for now is to test and verify the bug as described - and then acknowledge the bug and the workaround as described.

With that in place, I would expect to see further acknowledgement that Lithium has had the bug reported to them for correction - and a subsequent acknowledgement that Lithium is either unresponsive to solving the problem or that the problem has been tested and verified as solved.

All standard practice for bug-reporting and problem resolution in a Corporate environment.

Kudos3 Stats

Re: This forums Bug

twixt, you are being unreasonable. Norton does not supply this forum's software and have no control over it but you insist on still complaining that "that's not how it should be" They all agree with you, but again you reiterate your statements. This is my personal opinion, you are trolling. If you want to be a part of a really informative forum, use it as such and quit worrying and considering "the way it should be". I'm really new here and none of that has bothered me so far, get over it.

Lithium has many bugs, call them. 

Kudos0

Re: This forums Bug

I'm going to lock this thread from any further posts. It has served it's purpose, allowing iNic to report a bug.

If another bug is found at a later date, feel welcome to open another thread. One thread per bug is ideal. That way we can track and follow them better.

Thanks,
Dave

* * THREAD LOCKED FROM FURTHER POSTS * *

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.