• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Free Norton 360 update.

When trying to update my Norton 360, I get an alert that I will lose the remainder of my subscription.  Can I update and maintain my current suscription?  Is it a good idea to update?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Free Norton 360 update.

When trying to update my Norton 360, I get an alert that I will lose the remainder of my subscription.  Can I update and maintain my current suscription?  Is it a good idea to update?
Kudos0

Are you trying to update from Norton 360 1.0 to Norton 360 2.0? If so, you won't loose the subscription. If you use the same Product key of Norton 360 1.0 while updating to Norton 360 2.0, you won't loose the subscription.

Kudos0

When I open the Norton icon and under my account info it says I am running Norton 360.  There is no number associated with it.  Is there someplace else I can look to see if I have 1.0 or 2.0?
Kudos0

Yes, check the steps below:

1. Start Norton 360.
2. Click My Account.
3. Click About Norton 360.
4. On the About Norton 360 window, look for the version. If you are using 1.0, you can find version as 1.x.x.x.

If you are unable to find About Norton 360 in My Account window, you are using 2.0. Click Help & Support > About Norton 360, you can find version as 2.x.x.x.

Kudos0

msswanny wrote:

If you are updating by installing from a disk you have purchased then that does replace any unexpired subscription and start again. But that would normally apply to going from V1 to V2 and not to what we normally regard as updating which you do with LiveUpdate.

If you renew your subscription or download the file and use the existing KEY from an installation that has not yet expired then you get the benefit of your old subscription.

Hugh
Kudos0

Unfortunately I do not know the KEY.  Where might I find it?
Kudos0

If your original installation was from a CD then the KEY is on the sleeve protecting the CD.

If you created a Norton Account then it should be recorded there. Open your Norton Account and click on the Product name in the listing and a screen should come up with all the details. Note that you want Product KEY not Serial and it is not a number but a mix of letters and numbers.

So how did you get N360 in the first instance? If it was a trial installation on your PC when you bought it or if you bought an OEM disk somewhere then you are not entitled to a free upgrade.

If all of this fails contact Customer Support:

To contact customer support Click on this link and work on from there. CHAT or Email may be less frustrating than the phone which may have long wait times.

They can sort it our.

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks for placing the Solution flag -- to better help others which of the various solutions did you use to find the KEY? Did you have to go to Customer Support? If so how was that experience (I know I sound like one of those marketing guys on the phone but I'm not <g>)
Hugh
Kudos0

I didnot contact costumer support yet.  I subscribed via an online download so I do not think I am eligible for free upgrade. Thanks
Kudos0

HI

Might I also add that in some revised packaging the key is not on the sleeve because the CD is enclosed in a clear plastic case. In those circumstances an A5 card is provided which states "Important Product acitivation required" and at the bottom on a yellow backround "DO NOT LOSE THIS PRODUCT KEY!"

Kudos0

msswanny wrote:

[ ... ].  I subscribed via an online download so I do not think I am eligible for free upgrade. Thanks

If you downloaded it from Symantec (and that would include the Norton Store operated for them by DIgital River) and paid them for it, getting a 1 year subscription that is still in force, then you definitely would be entitled to a free update to V3 for the duration of your already-paid subscription but then you would have to renew to keep using it just as if you had not upgraded from V2 to V3.

If you downloaded it from some other source and paid them for it then I'd speak to Customer Support who seem to be very helpful on these matters and if by any chance your copy was bootleg they'd like to know and would probably sort it out so you didn't lose out. <s>

One way to find out, is to copy your V2 KEY to a safe place, download V3 and install it. If you do that it should pick up your existing KEY (mine did even although I had uninstalled the earlier version) and install saying, when you tell it to use an existing KEY if it doesn't get it automatically, that you have XX days of subscription left, as it did before upgrading.

Let us know if I've misunderstood what you mean by the above.

Hugh
Kudos0

Many thanks -- I must watch out for that packaging.
Hugh
Kudos0

I am grateful for you help.  With a little more searching, I was able to locate my Product Key and have successfully upgraded to Norton 360v3.  Thanks for your patience.  This problem is solved!
Kudos0

Bravo!

You know where to find us .....

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.