• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

FTP blocked following update on 27 November 2014

Since the LiveUpdate on  27 November 2014, all FTP connections from my Mac (to various FTP servers) have failed. If I turn off Vulnerability Protection, I can use FTP again.

Surely this is not correct? FTP may not be the most secure system in the world, but I (and many others!) need to use it on a daily basis. It's not going to be practical to turn off VP every time I want to FTP, then turn it on again.

I Want Norton protection, but I need to FTP - why can't I do this any more?

Labels: blocked

Replies

Kudos0

Re: FTP blocked following update on 27 November 2014

Same problem - this is unacceptable Norton.  Competent AV software should not be breaking apps.  As I noted in my other post, I uninstalled your software.  When you are going to provide an update that is thoroughly tested and does not break my Mac?  

Kudos0

Same here - confirmed.  I hope the folks in support are monitoring this thread so it can be corrected ASAP.

Kudos1 Stats

Same here...  am getting   

Error:             Could not write to socket: EPERM - Permission denied

on FileZilla but have also tried other apps - all fail.  Uninstalling Norton fixes the problem but then it reappears when Norton is re-installed.

Only short term workaround is re-boot in safe mode, do the transfers then re-boot. Ridiculous and annoying though and needs fixing asap.

Kudos0

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We've released a fix addressing this issue via Live Update.You should be able to get this update via Live Update.  Please let us know this resolves the issue.

Thanks,
Sunil G A
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Good to hear you addressed a severe bug albeit not in a timely manner but more importantly, if I disable protection and firewall, the software should not continue to break the machine and force me to uninstall in order to restore FTP functionality and system stability.  Is that fixed too?  

Kudos0

Hi @markbyrn, the issue was identified and fixed over weekend itself and running LiveUpdate should take care of the FTP connectivity issues. You wouldn't need to disable Firewall/Vulnerability Protection to access FTP anymore. Can you please explain more, if you are facing any other technical issues related to system stability with Norton installed?

Thanks,
Sunil G A
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

In addition to the FTP problem, I experienced multiple KP crashes per day until I uninstalled Norton.  Since I uninstalled Norton several days ago, there have been zero crashes.  I'm not the only one to note KP crashes.  

Kudos0

Sorry about the kernel panics. I believe the FTP issue should be fixed. But we are are investigating the kernel panic  problem and others who have reported similar issues.

When you install Norton Internet Security 5.7, please try disabling Vulnerability Protection. This feature may be incompatible with Yosemite in certain configurations.

To disable this feature:

1. Open the Norton Firewall application. (You can launch Norton Firewall by clicking on the Firewall icon in Norton internet Security).
  2. Click on Advanced. 
  3. Under 'Vulnerability Protection', click on the green slider to disable Vulnerability Protection (it'll turn red).

Please let us know by posting here if you still experience system kernel panics after disabling this feature. Also please let us know what applications you typically use in Yosemite, such as Skype, Netflix streaming, YouTube, etc. 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ryan McGann Technical Director Norton Business Unit, Symantec

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.