• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Geek Squad says Malwarebytes/Anti-Malware incompatible with 360 v3

Had to bring my computer still under warranty back to Best Buy. A Gateway with Vista Home Premium sp2 and 360 v 3.5.2.11

Being' plauged with  the Blue Screen of Death. Would you believe the Geek Squad Says the Malwaresbytes/Anti-Malware program is not compatible with Norton 360 and should not be on the same computer.  (probably cause of BSOD)   BTW I have the free verison of Malwarebytes/Anti-Malware

on the computer. 

So my question is, Why are so many told here on this forum to run Malwarebytes/Anti-malware with Norton 360 on their computer? Or is the Geek Squad Just That!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks 

ZR1PETE

Message Edited by zr1pete on 10-01-2009 12:15 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Geek Squad says Malwarebytes/Anti-Malware incompatible with 360 v3

Had to bring my computer still under warranty back to Best Buy. A Gateway with Vista Home Premium sp2 and 360 v 3.5.2.11

Being' plauged with  the Blue Screen of Death. Would you believe the Geek Squad Says the Malwaresbytes/Anti-Malware program is not compatible with Norton 360 and should not be on the same computer.  (probably cause of BSOD)   BTW I have the free verison of Malwarebytes/Anti-Malware

on the computer. 

So my question is, Why are so many told here on this forum to run Malwarebytes/Anti-malware with Norton 360 on their computer? Or is the Geek Squad Just That!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks 

ZR1PETE

Message Edited by zr1pete on 10-01-2009 12:15 PM
Kudos1 Stats

Malwarebytes free version can be used on a system with Norton 360 as an on-demand scanner. What shouldn't be there is the Pro version which contains a real-time protection module that can conflict with Norton 360 and reduce your protection.
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

The free Malwarebytes definitely isn't an issue. The pay version of Malwarbytes is designed to be compatible with all major AV software. If you have problems using Malwarebytes active protection with your AV, seek help on the Malwarebytes forum.

You will likely need to remove Malwarebytes to satisfy the Geeks. My guess is that the blue screens won't go away.

It's interesting to me that many people here are told to scan with Malwarebytes. Yet I've never seen anybody be asked to scan with Norton AV (or the Symantec online scanner) on the Malwarebytes forums.

Kudos0

Hi

I think that would be for the reason that people on Malwarebytes forum probably use all different sorts of antivirus programs whereas here everyone is supposed to be using a Symantec product already.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Whether it is designed to be compatible or not, it is still not recommended to run two real time scanners.  If MBAM is designed to back off on malware and let Norton take precedence, it could work but I find that highly unlikely.  I think we can assume that Norton would not bow out to let MBAM sort out the malware.  Just because the conflicts are not visible does not make them less dangerous to your computer security.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Delphinium - You're joking, right? If Norton could handle it, you guys wouldn't be telling people to run Malwarebytes.
Kudos1 Stats

geneintexas wrote:
Delphinium - You're joking, right? If Norton could handle it, you guys wouldn't be telling people to run Malwarebytes.
I would suggest that you don't understand Malware, that is why you have come back with this comment.

1. Malware like  "Tidserv" are created to block all Major AV's not only Norton,   I have had people with other AV's ask for help to get rid of Malware.
2. This is not the only forum that asks no matter what AV that installed to run Malwarebytes, SAS etc.  it's just a fact that it is good to have backup on demand scanners.  
3. Some Malware even block Malwarebytes and other Security programs including Hijackthis and Combofix.  
4. Some Malware takes a combination of steps and programs to break it down.
5.  No AV product is 100% able to block or remove some threats
6.  As to Geek Squad and N360V3,  MBAM.  There is no problem with Malwarebytes or SAS  on demand  with NIS/ NAV 2009, N360V3 or NIS /NAV 2010, even while they were in beta.  Otherwhise all the people I have had on the boards wanting Malware removal would come back stating that there is a problem with Malwarebytes and Norton.  No one has come back saying anything like that.
So it is easy to say  Malwarebytes and SAS with Norton has no problem.

Quads 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.