• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Ghost 15.0 on Windows 10

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and Norton Ghost 15.0 is no longer functional.  When I open Ghost, I get the window requesting I load the product key.  When I do, I get a message stating the Product Key is not valid.  All my backups use Ghost but now I can't get access to them.  Any suggestions?

Labels: Norton Ghost

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Ghost 15.0 on Windows 10

Hi:

Although I have been successful with installing and registering Ghost 15 on my Windows 10 system, I have not been able to create a Customized Norton Recovery Disk.  The process starts OK and runs for a while.  But when it begins to write the output file (either to CD or to an on-disk ISO file), I get an "interesting "Blue Screen of Almost Death" indicating a "BAD_POOL_HEADER" error.  I don't seem to be able to get around this.

To RH15's note, I have been able to run the recovery processes OK but in that process, Ghost does not recognize any USB-connected devices.  This is the reason I wanted to create the Custom Recovery Disk.

Great fun.  It's too bad that Symantec/Norton isn't more responsive in this.  Makes me rue the day peter Norton sold out to Symantec.  :-(

Kudos0

Thanks drjwolfe.    I had tried to get Ghost 15.0 working before I went down the SSR 2013 R2 route.   I followed the instructions but it still didn't work.  I am on Windows 10 pro so whether that made a difference or not, I don't know.  

I installed the Symantec Systems Recovery 2013 R2 trial version because I am led to believe this is the only version that will be made compatible with Windows 10.  I used this for the 60 days trial period after which, having seen something from Veritas that the program would include Windows 10 compatibility in December,  I decided to take the risk and go ahead and purchase it.  I purchased it through a Veritas Preferred partner.      

Veritas is the current owner of these products.  Symantec de-merged and the system recovery products were put under a new company which they called Veritas again.   Veritas was then sold to the Carlyle Group. Consequently I don't expect there to be any support from Symantec in the future for these "Symantec" products.    

There was a major glitch with the Veritas ordering system and I got a licence for Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition and not the R2 version.     It wasn't easy battling my way through Veritas Customer Support but in the end we managed to define the fault in their system and get it fixed.  One of the challenges was that, in their system, Veritas now define this product differently.   They just call it System Recovery Desktop Edition and have the previous Symantec recovery versions as options underneath it. 

The people I spoke to in Veritas were very supportive and stuck with the problem with good feedback.  Although I was hugely irritated and frustrated at the beginning by what appeared to be an impenetrable wall,  I came to realise that they too are coming to grips with the implications of the de-merger from Symantec and the buy out by Carlyle Group.   Fortunately I  understand enough about these areas to keep pushing until I got through to the right group who provided the solution.     

I don't know where the future will take Veritas but their Support Group has managed to convince me that they do care about their small customers just as much as their large corporate customers. 

Derek

Kudos0

Having Ghost running OK on a Win 10 (ex Win7) 32-bit PC I decided to see how it goes on my other 64-bit Win7 machine.
No trouble getting the Licence accepted.  File data backups still OK but, so far, no success with imaging.
This is the message I get:

A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. CHECK
failed, SnapShotDevice::GetDeviceCharacteristics3:.\SnapShotDevice.cpp(262):
mSymSnapVolume->lsSnapped().

I'm still experimenting with setting compatibility in various files.  I'll come back if I succeed.
Meanwhile - has anyone else encountered problems in 64-bit Windows 10?

Well, here I am back with the finding that the problem was related to the additional small preceding "System Reserved" partition that is usually imaged along with the main Windows partition.  I guess this can also be imaged separately. Anyway it shouldn't be too great a problem since this would only be wrecked in a total HDD cockup; I've only ever used Ghost to recover from a Windows crash - so far!

And there may still be an answer to this problem

Kudos0

Hi shraga

This sounds similar to the problem I encountered with SymSnap/Snapshot (see my previous post). It related to the small "System Reserved" partition that precedes the main Windows partition. It is only a few MBs and is usually added to the Ghost Image but I have found that I can't add this now.  However I have no trouble imaging the main partition on its own.

Kudos0

I was able to find a solution to my issue  "Error E7BC0001: The system volume specified cannot be retargeted to run on this computer.", so I wanted to post here in case anyone else has the same problem.  I had been using the "Backup My Computer" selection after booting from the cd (either the original Norton Ghost 15.0 cd or a Custom Recovery cd, it didn't matter).  This is the way I have always created our backups and worked fine on Windows 7.  However I found that with Windows 10 I need to create a backup while running Norton Ghost within the Operating System.  Then I can boot from cd and recover either the Windows 7 or Windows 10 backup.

Before I found the solution I did try to update to the trial version of Symantec Systems Recovery 2013 R2 trial version and couldn't get that to work either.  I called Veritas and was transferred to a few different people before someone said that Windows 10 will not be supported until December and they did not have a solution for me at this time.  So I went back and tried Norton 15.0 again and thankfully was able to get that working due to help from this thread.  Thank you!

Kudos0

Ghost 15 doesn't officially support Win10.

Deric

Kudos0

I have the same problem as you. I did the fix detailed above by changing Compatibility, and I thought all was going to work.  Then I got the message about SnapShotDevice.  I tried doing the system backup twice with the same error message, and now find that Ghost has frozen.  When I open it, the green line starts to appear, saying it is connecting to my PC, but the green line stops about 5mm before the end of the box. The white area continues to float along the green line. Did you manage to find a solution to the first problem?  I do have a separate partition on my drive, but Ghost and Windows are installed in the main C: partition, which I think is the one I am trying to backup with a system backup.

Kudos0

To: Endomongo  I have had the 'green-line' problem occasionally but I think you will find that usually sorts itself out when you next run the program or re-boot.  My SymSnap messages changed after I went through ALL the .exe files and changed them for compatibility (some simply allow 'Previous version of Windows').  Narrowing my problem down in this way identified the System Reserved as the small partition - preceding the main OS partition, that Ghost was aware of but unable to access.  If you have this you won't see it in "This PC", but certainly Ghost should be able to see it and, in my case, recommended adding it to the backup.

PS  As others have noted the Windows Backup program that came with WIN7/8 is still available and can be used for images and burning a restore CD. It is accessible in Control Panel "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)".

Kudos0

I tried that and rebooted, re-edited the backup so that it included the offered boot partition, and tried running a backup.  It still failed with the SYMSnap message. I will have a look at it again tomorrow to check that I changed the compatibility of all the files.  I thought I had. I presume you meant all the files in the Norton Ghost folder in Program Files (x86). It just occurred to me that I did not check for hidden files. I will check that also tomorrow.

Kudos0

Symantec System Recovery - Now Compatible with Windows 10 !!!

For those of you who are unable to get Ghost 15 working on Windows 10, there is an announcement from Veritas today that Symantec System Recovery has just been updated to work with Windows 10.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000081200
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000099941

Apparently, if you have SSR Release 2, you will be able to upgrade for free.  If you have a previous version, then you will need to pay for a new subscription.

Whereas I have been able (on older hardware) to successfully install & use both Ghost 15 & SSR on Windows 10, I have been totally unable to create & use a working Recovery Disk (with Win PE Recovery Environment) for my new laptop using Ghost 15.  Thus, although I can create backup images of my OS using Ghost, I would be completely unable to re-install those backups to my new laptop.

I was however able, after much experimentation, to create & successfully use the Custom Recovery Disk Environment in Symantec System Recovery.

I believe the reason for the lack of success in creating / using the Ghost 15 Recovery Environment (on my new laptop) was three-fold...

1. My laptop has 64 bit architecture, and requires a 64 bit Recovery Disk.  Ghost 15 only ever creates 32 bit recovery disks.

2. My laptop has the UEFI Interface with an EFI System Partition.  Ghost 15 is 'unaware' of this new hardware interface, and thus will only back up the partitions which it can see (eg. C: drive) and won't back up the linked EFI partition.

3. My laptop has the new PCIe hard drive interface, and there are no 32 bit drivers available for it.  Thus, even when the computer boots into the Ghost Recovery Environment, it was *never* able to see the main hard drive which needed to be backed up.

I am thus forced to switch to Symantec System Recovery - which with the new update today will be fully compatible with my 64 bit UEFI Windows 10 system.

I thought this snippet of information might also be useful for you.

Kudos0

drjwolfe, your solution has saved my day, week, year(s) to come ..

Only some extra info, updating to win 10586.29 lost registration again!!

I used the solution from rmurch:

<<

I tried a few things and eventually needed one additional set of steps to get my system working properly with Ghost 15 after a Windows 10 Pro x64 upgrade:

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Ghost\Packages\Agent.
  2. Click on SETUP.EXE (i.e. Run this program).

<<

No need to reregister code after this , all works like it should!

After 30 years in the field I consider Ghost ESSENTIAL for good housekeeping!!

I propose to mention djwolfe's solution in all threads which are discussion the frustration of not beinf able to use ghost as we all paid for!!

Kudos0

Congratulations for Norton Ghost users with windows 10 .

I  changed a long time ago with  Symantec System Recovery 2013 . It looks like Norton Ghost .

When I upgrade Windows 10-1511 , I had to re unstalled SSR 2013 and my key licence is not  accepted .

I have tested SSR 2013 R2 which is recommanded by Veritas ( Symantec don't support SSR 2013 ) . I have downloaded the soft from Veritas website . It is a trialware of 60 days . It seems working well but the problem now is to buy the key . Veritas end Symantec don't buy the licence .

It is unbieliveable !

Do you have an idea where I can get the licence

Kudos0

mail me private !

Kudos0

Hi all

I am running Ghost ver 15.0.1.36526

After upgrading to Win 10 it did not accept the license, so I followed the instructions and changed the compatibility of the suggested files to Win7.

Now it seems to run OK.

Please let me know how can check that Ghost performs OK and in moment of "trust" will be able to restore the files.

Regards

Shraga

Kudos0

TEST IT!!!
1- Click on a backup, select a file or folder and rstore it!

2 Create restore disk and boot with te disk, see if it finds your recovery points,! Try a recover if you still have doubts ..

Hugo

Kudos0

Hi Hugo

Thanks, makes sense will test it.

Regards

Shraga

Kudos0

Hi Hugo

Managed to successfully restore files and boot from SRD DVD.

New drive was added to the list, see attached fig.

Backup Destination is H: drive  

Please let me know what is the meaning of it and what should I do (should I add it to backup schedule?).

Regards

Shraga

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Hello Shraga ,

Youre on the right track!I cannot open your attachment ..

Now create a backup schedule and verify it after backup should have beeb realized.

Hugo

Kudos0

Hi Hugo

Sending the attachment again, please let me know the meaning of the symbol (marked in red circle).

Thanks

Shraga

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Hi Shraga,

I have never seen this form of presentation.

What version do you have? What do you see in your Backup history?

regards,

Hugo

Kudos0

Hi Hugo

1. I am running ver 15.0.1.36526 checked for LiveUpdates and got reply that "product-up-to-date"

2. Not sure on what you mean by backup history, as mentioned I managed to recover file that was deleted from desktop.

3. Added the "*:\ " to backup jobs but got error during recovery point creation see image attached.

Not sure where it came from and how to get read of it.

I am starting to lose confidence in Ghost backup :-(

Regards

Shraga 

Kudos0

Hi Hugo

One more thing, was trying to remove the backup job of (*:\) but it won't let me as this option is grayed out for this task.

Regards

Shraga

Kudos0

do not worry about that, it seems to be a reference to the root of your system ...

have you made a recovery disk and tried booting from that to verify recovery points?

Ghost is the best recovery I have used over thirty years!!

I have bought other systems for backibg up bvut still prefer ghost.

If you really need help i can connect through teamviewer and have a look ..

HS

Kudos0

Did you receive my PM?

Kudos0

Hi Hugo

Yes I got you PM, thank you for your support.

I made recovery disk and managed to boot from it and see the dated recovery points.

I did not run the recovery just browsed it.

The backup runs OK.

So I will leave it for now.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Shraga

Kudos0

Thank You !     You saved the day, well actually more than a day's work.  I made a back up using Ghost 15 right after the upgrade by booting with the Ghost 15 disk--- never got an error and expected it to work.  

I had a major crash yesterday and needed to recover.   I booted with the Ghost 15 Disk and got an error "e7bc0001".  It had something to do with Deploy Anywhere.  I was restoring back to the same machine without any hardware changes.  

Your solution worked.  

Thanks.

Merry Christmas

GaryDZ

Kudos0

I have a question....   about your solution.

I made a back up of Windows 10 by booting with the Ghost 15 CD.  It all seemed to go fine, until I tried to use the recovery last night.    Booting with the CD and trying to recover, I go the error e7bc0001.  

I managed to work around the problem by installing a 60-trial of the new program.

My Question---  If I remember correctly, when I recover Windows (any Version) it requires me to boot with the CD.

Will your fix work--if I have to boot from the Ghost CD?

Thanks  for everyone's help.

GaryDZ

The files I changed were ...
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\SecurityConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe   *****
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Browser\V2iBrowser.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Console\VProConsol
Kudos0

I'm most grateful to drjwolfe for his hard work on this, and especially for his explaining what needs doing in a way that a non-techy like me can follow. I have successfully got to the stage where my product key has been accepted, and I can open Ghost 15 under Windows 10 on my new HP desktop - I was previously running it under Vista on an older machine. 

BUT, Ghost will not allow me to create a backup job using my (existing) external hard drive as a destination. And Ghost fails to recognise that drive when gathering status information. If I use the "Define Backup Wizard" I get an error message "Cannot add protection". If I use "Easy Setup" I cannot click on "OK". And I get recurring popups saying "Cannot reconcile changes since last session".

I CAN however use "Recovery Point Browser" to recover files I backed up under Vista - which to be honest is my main objective. I can at last get rid of the second PC on my desk! (And TBH the likelihood of my needing to recover old files is pretty low.)

It would be nice, though, to get Ghost running "properly". Any tips?

Cheers, Alan

Kudos0

Reply to Gary DZ ...

If you are getting an error related to Deploy Anywhere, that implies that Ghost thinks that the system hardware has changed.  I'm only guessing (in your case), but it is possible that Windows 10 has installed a hidden (UEFI) partition at the beginning of your physical hard drive.  This is the new standard for computer operating systems, and is apparently more efficient, plus it allows for hard drives > 2TB in size.  If that's the case, then the partition arrangement has changed, and Ghost 15 will complain !!

You can check if there is a hidden partition using Administrative Tools -->Computer Management --> Disk Management.

Ghost 15 is unaware of UEFI partitions and won't know what to do with them.

Symantec System Recovery (SSR) understands UEFI and is able to make appropriate backups.

If it's not that, then I don't know.

Kudos0

Reply to BampaOwl ...

Your problem is confusing, and although I'll admit to being knowledgeable, I'm no expert !!

If your OS can see your external hard drive, then Ghost 15 should be able to see it as well.

Some of your errors may be related to Ghost losing some of the recovery points in a 'Recovery Point Set', or at least not seeing all those recovery points at the moment Ghost is initially run.  Have you tried 'verifying' your backups.  Have you tried plugging in the external drive *before* running Ghost; or maybe even switching on the computer with the external drive on and already attached.

Perhaps your external hard drive is faulty, or at the point of failing.

Kudos0

G15 just does not support Windows 10 you need SSR 2013R2 from Veritas.

Deric

Kudos0

Dstain you're mistaken!

Fortunatly it works perfectly on Win 10 !!!

Kudos0

Good luck when it comes time to restore. It may or may not work.

Kudos0

You do not suppose I would trust my proffesional life to a non reliable backup system?!

Would you?
The proof of the pudding is in the eating: I tested multiple times before relying on it!!

SEE ATTACH PROOF!!!

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

So, do a bare metal restore! Go ahead wipe the drive, then restore! You may not have such luck with a recovery environment that runs on Vista and doesn't support USB 3 or partitions over 2 TB. UEFI BIOS, etc.

Seriously, Boot the Recovery Disc and at least test a recovery point.

Kudos0

Don't need to wipe a good install !  

Surely we all have at least one redundant 80GB- or-so drive knocking about somewhere on which to test this.

I have just repeated this using a Ghost Recovery Disc.  It still works.  Good luck friends !

Kudos0

I also had the problem with Norton Ghost 15 and Windows 10. I attempted to changed the exe files to be compatible with Win 7, but was unsuccessful. I was able to install Ghost 14 on my Windows 10 computer. I uninstalled Ghost 14 after I upgraded to Windows 7 and Ghost 14 wasn't compatible with Win 7. Ghost 14 works in Window 10!

Success at last!

Kudos0

Thanks to djrwolfe, it is possible to start Ghost 15 in Windows 10.

But when making a backup following happen:

1. Starting normally
  2. After 1-2 minutes and 5 % done, it goes back to 0% and 3 error messages come up:
  3. EC8F17B7:
  4. EBAB0013:
  5. EBAB0013

I don’t know what the reason is. But no backup files are created.

Have any one any idea, thanks?

Kudos0

Googled it...

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: <JOB_NAME>.

1. Error EBAB0013: A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. PRECONDITION failed, LocalProgress::LocalProgress: .\LocalProgress.cpp(56): estimate.mUnits >= 0. 0xEBAB0013 (Backup Exec System Recovery)

or

1. Error EBAB0013: A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. PRECONDITION failed, ImageDiskGroup::SetVolumeActive:.\ImageDiskGroup.cpp(468):0&&"Not Implemented".

Cause

1. Often caused by file system errors or fragmentation detected on the physical drives during the snapshot phase of the backup.
  2.  By default BESR requires at least 20% free space on the drive being backed up . Please check that the drive being backed up has at least 20 % free space for BESR to process snapshot for the particular volume. If the free space falls below the 20% limit the backup might fail with the error. 
Kudos0

Thanks hugosnel for helping!

There is plenty of space left on C drive (50%).

It is defragmented. And there is no error on disk when run Chkdsk.

Actually it is the same PC that have Windows 7, two weeks ago, and then Ghost 15 was fully working with no errors. But after upgrade to Windows 10, those errors arise.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Kudos0

There have been some progress, since last time.

I have a Dell 7010 PC, and that have a DELL Recovery Partition, that is the Active partition. So when I upgraded from 7 to Windows 10, this Recovery Partitions are still there.

Norton Ghost 15 did not like this DELL Recovery Partition, when making a backup, under Windows 10. Normally Ghost suggest to include in the backupset also the DELL Recovery Partition, and the C partition. This have been working OK under Windows 7, but not now after upgraded to Windows 10.

So I tried to make a backup only on the C-partition, and that worked out OK. I excluded the DELL Recovery Partition.

I do not know why this happen? If there is some error on the DELL Recovery Partition, and how to check that?
Since DELL Recovery Partition, contain the old Windows 7, maybe this partition is not compatible with new Windows C partition?
I am not sure what to do? Left it as it is. Or delete the old DELL Recovery Partition? I think the PC in some way boot from the DELL Recovery Partition, since this is the Active?
I am not sure what happen if I restore the C Windows 10 partition made from Ghost 15 that only have saved the C partition and not the DELL Recovery Partition?

I enclose a picture on the error message in Ghost 15.

I am leaving this PC in 2 days, so I am grateful if you have some idea?

Kind regards

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

My name is Ly Hong Thai. I'd like to thanks (drjwolfe) for providing a solution. It works for me.

Kudos0

What is the cost for a PC License of SSR 2013 to replace Ghost 15 on WIN10

Kudos0

What s the cost for the SSR Pgm for 1 desktop, or perhaps 3 desktops?

Kudos0

What s the cost for the SSR Pgm for 1 desktop, or perhaps 3 desktops?

Kudos0

Why not try Paragon Backup & Recovery 14 FREE ?   To Upgrade from this to the latest version 15 with all the extras (partitioning &c) costs about  GBP 26.  Get it at   www.snipca.com/20238  Its a large download about 320 MB.  I used Version 11 for several years but that was not compatible with WIN10.

Kudos0

ScottN, it's about $70 from CDW at the following link: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Veritas-System-Recovery-Desktop-Editio...

If you want to use Veritas System Recovery trial ware, the registration is simple. However, it is a 1 GB download for the single desktop version. I opted out when I saw the size. Acronis has trial ware (True Image Home) that's well under half that size.

As other forum folk have said, there are also free versions of other products that work reliably with Windows 10. They do not have the time-limits that trial versions have either.

John E. Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 14393.321 on Lenovo ThinkPad E535 & HP Pavilion 6610F
Kudos0

drjwolfe - I don't know how you figured out that sequence, but I'm glad you did......  I've also used Ghost 15 for many years.  I was using Ghost when it was just the 2002 version.  Shame another good product had to go away...  I uploaded to Windows 10 today (4/29/16) and everything seemed to be going well.  Then I received that message from Ghost 15 that my 30 day trial was started.  Thinking I just needed to reenter that Product Key, I dug through my pile of CD's until I found that copy of Ghost 15.  I was surprised when I entered the number, with the CD in hand, and received another message that that product Key was invalid???  I'm glad I read your thread and my Ghost 15 seems to be working again.  My only problem was that I could not find the Norton Ghost\Packages\Agent\NORTON~1.exe file.  It must not have been very important, every thing seems to be working again. 

Like a lot of other folks, I thank you for figuring out how to repair/fix the problem.. sorry I could only give you one KUDO's..

Kudos0

PC_confused:

..... my Ghost 15 seems to be working again. ....

SEEMS may be the key word here. Do you really trust a backup solution that you have to hack to run on an OS that is not supported? This may work OK since you did an upgrade, but for the people who are trying to hold on to Ghost 15 with new hardware this is just crazy! Ghost hasn't been updated in over 5 years. It's time to move on people!

Kudos0

I disagree with redk9258 !!  Ghost 15 will work consistently and perfectly on older systems where the software was already working fine under Windows 7 and earlier.  I do suggest however that you 'test it to destruction' before totally relying on it.  That means...  You create a backup, and then use the Repair / Live OS to re-install that backup onto your computer.  If it replaces your OS in perfect working order, then you can rely on it.  If not, then don't.

There are reasons why newer hardware might confuse Ghost 15 and cause it to fail.  This is usually related to hard drives where the usual (older) BIOS has been replaced by the newer UEFI Partition.  Ghost 15 is not aware of UEFI and will not back up these partitions correctly.  In addition, system manufacturers (Dell / Toshiba / HP) often put a hidden recovery partition on your hard drive, and if you are not careful / specific in your setup, Ghost 15 will not back these up correctly either.  Finally Windows 10 itself will often install a hidden recovery partition during the upgrade process, which like the previous manufacturer recovery partitions needs to be backed up properly.

On my older desktop, Ghost 15 works perfectly, and I have done at least 3 full tests with absolutely no problems.  On my newer laptop (with UEFI), Ghost 15 NEVER worked at all.  I was able to get 'Symantec System Restore' to work, with a lot of effort, but it was fiddly to use and would only work correctly the second time round !!!  The first time you tried to create a backup or install a backup, it would not even find the hard drive (due to a driver issue).  On the second time you attempted it, it would work.

Due to these problems I eventually resorted to buying a 3 license version of Acronis True Image, and I hate to say this but it does work quite straightforwardly, and without any problems.  Acronis True Image is a genuinely good replacement for Ghost 15 or Symantec System Restore, and it does work perfectly on Windows 10 and newer systems.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.