• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Ghost 15.0 on Windows 10

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and Norton Ghost 15.0 is no longer functional.  When I open Ghost, I get the window requesting I load the product key.  When I do, I get a message stating the Product Key is not valid.  All my backups use Ghost but now I can't get access to them.  Any suggestions?

Labels: Norton Ghost

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Ghost 15.0 on Windows 10

Got NG15 to installed & backed up successfully with Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Inspiron 7000 (2016 Model) following drjwolfe's 10 steps direction.  Thanks!  Make sure that you're applying the 10 steps on each *.exe file.  Also, when the "Compatibility Tab" is opening up, make sure that you check ALL of the boxes within it too and Press OK twice, otherwise, it will only run on the 30 day trial license but it will not accept your actual license.  Can't seem to create the SRD disk, but that's ok, just use the original disk for recovery.

The name of the file below was diff in my \Agent directory (not sure why)

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Packages\Agent\NORTON~1.exe

Kudos0

Well, after the Win 10 Anniversary update Ghost 15 started asking for the product key again. I had already followed drjwolfe's instructions from last year, so this time I only needed to tweak one file. C\Program Files (x86)\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe. I clicked on properties, and compatibility. It was already shown to be running in Win 7 Compatibility and that was grayed out. I hit Run Compatibility Troubleshooter. I told it to accept the Win 7 compatibility that was already there. I restarted the computer and no more asking to enter product key. Everything seems to working ok.

Kudos0

Lucky you!

After reinstallation (with automaticity includes update to the latest version) of Windows 10, I am no longer able to use this method.No way to us good old Norton, with ALL backups on my NAS and external usb drives.

it just will not let me enter the key, even with compatible mode activated.

I am testing Easeus Todo backup with regrets but not without pleasure and realizing that a long lasting relationship seem to have ended... 

Kudos0

FWIW, a good friend who also has NG 15 had gotten it to work just fine after upgrading, essentially following the instructions about compatibility mode. However, he just reported that after he applied the Anniversary Edition update, it stopped again, and he's been unable to get it to work since. Anyone have any success with THAT one?

TIA

elaine

Kudos0

I think your friend just needs to redo the same process which made Ghost 15 work the first time round...

Ie. Set the file properties of  C\Program Files (x86)\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe  to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

Others have also reported that the anniversary update broke Norton Ghost, but it was made to work again by re-applying that original fix.

If that doesn't work, then maybe uninstalling, re-installing, and then re-applying the compatibility mode fix.

Kudos0

I think drjwolfe is correct about getting it to work...without the uninstall process. Please reread what I wrote about getting it to work in my Aug 3 post. I only needed to update the one file and since it was already checked to run in Win 7 compatibility mode, but was grayed out, I ran the Compatibility Troubleshooter, accepted what was there and hit test. I saw nothing happen, but I again accepted that whatever happened was OK. I restarted the PC and it no longer asked for the product key. Running the Troubleshooter might be what's necessary. And I did do a full C drive recovery using a spare HD and it worked fine using the image that was created.

Kudos0

He did do all of the compatibility mode things, but it didn't work this time. Like me, he's a long experienced IT person, so I trust what he said. I don't know offhand if he tried a full reinstall tho, I can touch base with him on that. I'd guess that he probably did, tho, he said he worked on this a long time, and reinstall, like "reboot", cures a lot of woes :)

elaine

Kudos0

yes, the license box on NG15 did come up after Windows 10 updated, and yes, I ran the Compatibility Troubleshooter on this file C\Program Files (x86)\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe, and restarted the laptop (recommended by drjwolfe post on 8/28/2016).  Everything works now.  Thank you!

Kudos0

Thanks.  This worked after getting the Win10 Anniversary Update.

Kudos0

Sorry to re-open an "old" topic but the problem is the same.

Upgraded friday from W7 Ultimate to W10 Pro, and started with the licence problem which I solved with the solution of drjwolfe.

Then I got error:

-Fout E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_VSNAP_MAKE_READONLY) failed.
--Fout EBAB03F1: Het apparaat herkent de opdracht niet.

And did an chkdsk /r /f, but didn't solve the error

Now I only create image of C drive, but without the hidden drives by system reserved *.\ (from W7) and *.\ (from W10)

As soon I add one of those hidden drives within the image, I get above errors. No matter which one, tried several different cold image to create, but after a few minutes there is the error again.

So far I can find, I'm out of options what to else??? All help is welcome

Kudos0

Yes it probably is time to put this to rest !  I have different PCs running WIN10 32bit and 64 bit and a WIN7 machine,  Ghost has no problems of course with WIN7 whether 32 or 64bit.  If you have 32bit WIN10 then persevering  may pay off, or a Recovery of the main partition may work OK whilst leaving the System Reserved boot partition unaltered. But Ghost will not access the System Reserved partition in 64bit WIN10 so it is best to give up and buy an up-to-date Disk Management program.  I have used versions of "Paragon Hard Disk Manager" for several years and found it to be reliable even though for convenience I still use Ghost for File Backup on my WIN10 PCs.

PS  According to this article you could remove the boot partition  - I've not tried it but if you have a spare disk it might be worth a try !

http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/manage-partition/delete-system-re...

Or look at this !

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71363-system-reserved-partition-del...

Kudos0

Ghost will activate if you make it run in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

1) Load the files on to your computer.

2) Change the properties on the following files to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7:

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\SecurityConfig.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Browser\V2iBrowser.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Console\VProConsole.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Console\VProCustomRE.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Console\VProConsole_.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Console\DRIVERVALIDATION.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Packages\Agent\NORTON~1.exe  (this file may not be present)

C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Utility\PartInfo.exe

Method:

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost 15\...

Select each application noted above in turn.

Right-click on the file, and select 'Properties'.

Click on the 'Compatibility' tab.

Click the box which says 'Change Settings for All Users'.

Tick the box which says 'Run this program in Compatibility Mode for...''.

Select 'Windows 7' from the Drop Down Menu.

Press OK (twice) until the Properties Window is gone.

Do this for each file listed above.

Reboot.

Open Ghost and enter your activation code - it will be accepted.

Kudos0

Thanks... been done before... you only need to change Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe to get it to work. 

drjwolfe figured it out last year. See above... Aug 3 post.

Kudos1 Stats

How much are you going to trust your backup software to run in an OS it doesn't understand (which is pretending to be another OS)? Unless you are just restoring files from an old backup, that should be fine, otherwise....

Kudos0

In another thread, I did write about that. Although I've been able to do a test restore C drive in Win 10 with Ghost 15 successfully, I only use it as a secondary backup source with a weekly run. I am now using AOMEI Backupper as my primary backup and restore program. It is simple to use, provides all the functions I need and a test restore from one of its backups worked fine. 

You are definitely right. It's time to move on to something approved to work with and is made for Win 10. 

Kudos0

Given what I have seen from windows 10 I'd rather leave it for windows 7/8.x or Linux or Mac (the list is not necessarily in order).

Kudos0

password_password:

Given what I have seen from windows 10 I'd rather leave it for windows 7/8.x or Linux or Mac (the list is not necessarily in order).

Windows 8 was worse than Windows 10. Windows 10 still sucks. I'm sticking with Windows 7 until I cannot any longer. The way MS has made their OS so crappy, I might try something else.

Kudos0

I moved on and now using Veeam Free

Kudos0

redk9258:
password_password:

Windows 8 was worse than Windows 10. Windows 10 still sucks. I'm sticking with Windows 7 until I cannot any longer. The way MS has made their OS so crappy, I might try something else.

I've found Windows 8.1 to be more tolerable that windows 10. At least in Windows 8.1 you have control of what is going on. Only problem is a few missing and messed up control panels and the start menu (3rd party one available)

In windows 10 update control is gone (or hopeless), privacy is near hopeless, start menu is even more messed up (and prone to malfunction), start menu has mandatory bing search, even more control panels are gone or broken, automatic mandatory driver updates, mandatory massive OS changes (in the form of in place upgrades) ever 6 months.

Kudos0

Chunny

I and a lot of my technical colleagues doing computer support on line elsewhere use the Free Macrium Reflect tool for imaging. It is not only free but easy to use and very uptodate since it can product a bootable rescue disk or thumbdrive using a current WinPE engine that boots up looking like a normal Windows 9 (It should since WinPE comes from Microsoft).

It really is amazing. The V6 is the free version but they have been saying for some time that V7 which current as Paid For will become available as a free version but I would not wait.

I'm using it on Windows 10 AC and CU and on my Windows 7 workhorse.

Do try it.

For backups you can stick with the version in your Norton if you prefer it.

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.