Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
Greetings to you all,
First I'd like to thank you in advance for the assistance you've provided for all on this board.
Second I'd like some specific help about the globally et. al. Infections. I've read and subscribed to 10 RSS feeds tracking what may be the same problem. I am at a stage where I need guidance since I'd like to avoid killing my computer along with the virus I'm hunting down.
Steps I've taken :
Scanned several times in normal and safe mode with
Symantec Antivirus v.10.1.5.5000 (client)
With scan engine 126.96.36.199.
Each time updating definitions.
It came with the PC, but I've no disks
I am considering getting a new version for 2 PC's in house but unsure which version I should choose... What is more I suspect there is an infection on the other computer as well... Perhaps even stemming from the latter being infected by a false virus scan Trojan. Recommendations would will be gladly taken.
I scanned my PC at first because of a persistent message that a Bloodhound virus was infecting my PC but not being removed. But now Trojan.Metajuan has infected my system and all scans instruct to reboot but SIN cannot to complete the disinfection.
I read the treads relating to Trojan.Metajuan but have only run one additional anti-malware software : Malawarebytes which was blocked at first but worked when renaming the file.
I then discovered the a Rootkit infection similar to the one found in this posting, but now I'm completely I'm unsure which infection I have, if it is a singular infection and what procedure to take in order to disinfect the system.
I am attaching the 4 log files from MBAM FYI.
mbam-log-2009-08-24(17-58-45) was run in safemode after updates.
mbam-log-2009-08-24(19-45-30) was run again in safemode after restart.
mbam-log-2009-08-24(22-42-45) was run in safemode using administration login after updates.
mbam-log-2009-08-25(11-08-45) was run again in normal mode after restart.
Other particularities about my system if needed :
ADM Athlon 63 X2 Dual
Core Processor 5000+
Running MS XP
Service Pack 3
On this PC I also have MySQL, PHP 5.0 and Apache 1.3 installations since I'm learning to develop in AMP (if that is a consideration)
I have some experience successfully hunting for viruses but I am far from an expert.
I think I've prattled on too much already. I'd appreciate the help your help greatly, preferable before I start eating my keyboard, and using Bug Off on my hard drive.
Forgot to mention the effects on my PC. Browser hi-jacks on google searches, both EI and FF as well as persistent Google Updater crashes. Once every 5 minutes.
Further note that USB is unaffected but getting Browser FF and IE hijacks and suspicious spam that had never occurred before due to ISP spam blocker and NIS and outlook filters... But this may be unrelated to the problem.
Message Edited by PatChe on 08-25-2009 12:36 PM
Please note that this is a copy of a message that I posted at the end of the following tread.
I am reposting as a new message because of the resolved notice on the original post which I noticed after typing out my message.
Message Edited by PatChe on 08-25-2009 01:27 PMMessage Edited by PatChe on 08-25-2009 01:30 PM