• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Google Chrome 25% CPU usage (Norton 360)

Hello,

I'm using chrome browser for very long time and this problem appeared days ago. When I close chrome

my Norton 360 starts to consume my %25 CPU, there's two n360.exe process as we all know, and one of them

eating 25 CPU power. To be clear:

What I sure/confirmed in my position:

-When Google Chrome process closed entirely Norton 360 consumes %22-%25 power of my CPUs

(I saw this on Windows task manager, process tab)

-Norton 360 is already up to date

-There's no malwares on my system. already scanned million times(Malwarebytes)

-When Chrome stays up, Norton consumes nothing

-Extensions I used for Chrome: Adblock Plus, Zenmate, Norton Toolbar

-Already did clean install google chrome, nothing worked

-Mozilla Firefox works without problems

Zenmate is a privacy extension that I was using since last 2 years(probably)

Adblock Plus blocking annoying ads on youtube

I dont think anything wrong my system, because I NEVER get any issues before- all extensions was working

normal without any CPU spike. This started to happen days ago, I heard Google Chrome get a beta status for

some feature..maybe thats why?

And why my Norton should affected with this? Whats the "connection" between google browser and norton?

I'm a loyal Norton user since old Symantec Antivirus versions and I want to know why.  Please provide some

ideas to fix this, Zenmate extension is a life-saver thats why I using this browser, because its only works on

google chrome.

Please help

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Google Chrome 25% CPU usage (Norton 360)

Hi GethPrime,

" I heard Google Chrome get a beta status for

some feature..maybe thats why?"

Can you tell us what version of Google Chrome are you using before suggesting any steps.

regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

Version 36.0.1985.125 m  

Google Chrome is up to date.

I copied this from "About" page in browser

I also always downloading browsers from their official pages, in this case:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

EDIT: I'm going to delete this now, because creppy browser keeping busy my cpu

EDIT2:  I removed from "program delete/add" on control panel, now my CPU backs to normal

its really weird

Kudos0

Same thing happens here with Norton Security Suite 21.3 and Chrome 37 64-bit.  After Chrome is quit, the n360.exe process will go "crazy" for up to 10 minutes (can see in Norton's Performance graph tab).

Kudos0

Same thing still happening here with Norton Security Suite 21.5 and Chrome 37 64-bit.  After Chrome is quit, the n360.exe process will go "crazy" for up to 10 minutes (can see in Norton's Performance graph tab), and can see in Process Explorer an n360.exe is using 25% cpu (one core of a quad at nearly 100%).  If I run Chrome again, n360.exe will stop and go back to it's usual <1%.  But as soon as quit Chrome again, boom, 25% for up to 10 minutes.

Kudos0

Man I know, thats why I started to use Firefox- google chrome ruined badly for me and looks like yours too.

I recommend use Firefox(since this is the only option we have, because Internet Explorer very complex) 

Firefox opens slowly more than Google Chrome, but at least it not eating my CPU power...

Kudos0

Luckily it's only for up to 10 minutes, so I can tolerate it for now, but I sure hope the issue is being investigated.

I don't really want to switch to Firefox again, as I prefer the robustness and official 64-bitness of Chrome now.  But if it starts to be interfering with things, or other bugs appear, I will probably ditch Norton until the new reworked v22 is available.

Kudos0

Hi all,
Chrome is said to run google crashhandler and update service in background even when the browser window is closed.
Also chrome is a multiprocess browser than a single process browser (ie, number of processes named chrome.exe will relatively increase as the number of tabs increase)
Please try to check that and kill those processes via taskmanager and see if the problem persists..
I tried to simulate your situation (with nis) for chrome version 25 and 26 but failed. I too had adblock plus, norton toolbar and promptly added zenmate.

May be others will add some idea.
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

I already turn off that setting in Chrome that reports crashes and statistics, because I hate that crashreporter whatever service always running.  And I also make sure the setting is off that would allow Chrome to continue running background things when the browser is closed.  Also I do not have the Norton extensions for Chrome installed.

So, when watching in Process Explorer, when I close Chrome and all of it's processes disappear, the n360.exe process will kick in at 25% for up to 10 minutes. During this time, if I run Chrome again, the n360.exe process will immediately go back to normal. But as soon as I close Chrome out again, the issue occurs again.

By the way, if I doubleclick the n360.exe in Process Explorer and view the Threads tab while the issue if going on, all the activity seems to be in the msvcr100.dll (or a very similarly named one because I can't recall for sure) in one of Norton's own folders.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Thanks for the info, but sorry if there was confusion. There is nothing to suggest msvcr100.dll is missing, as the thread you refer to suggests. I was just pointing out that according to Process Explorer's Threads tab for the n360.exe process, it shows the abnormal cpu activity "in" that particular dll.

The above is my investigation for 64-bit Windows 7.  I have also noticed on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine, this same issue happens, but the abnormal cpu activity occurs with an "endthreadex" thread of ntdll.dll, and for well over 10 minutes. That machine has an old single-core P4 cpu (well technically it has HyperThreading so it's a fake duo), and the cpu % stays over 40% during this issue.

Anyway, sorry if I got too technical or whatnot. I'll probably report all this to the proper support channel soon. :)

Kudos0

Scree, I am having EXACTLY the same issue and it's very annoying. I even chatted with support and let them remote into my system but they were no help at all, ended up saying "that's normal, Norton is just scanning to make sure nothing is wrong". So does that mean is wasn't before? The only time it does it is when I close Chrome, for about 10 minutes or so up to 32%, fan blasting away. I did confirm it also does it on Chrome 32 as well.

While support was on my system, I demonstrated it several times; open Chrome, everything fine, Norton 0% cpu, close Chrome, Norton shoots to 32% and stays there, rinse and repeat. It happens every time. And it seems like it just started happening over the past couple weeks.

In any case, please keep this thread updated if you find a resolution. I may just change to BitDefender to see if that has similar behavior in the meantime.

Kudos0

I've been dealing with the same resource-draining annoyance for months. Has anyone found the reason why this keeps happening and how to prevent it from recurring?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.