• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Hanging message for collecting information for support after failed backup in N360 V3.0.0.134.

Okay, not a huge deal for me as I thought it would come in handy backing up what Norton deems as "Email" in case something corrupts Outlook Express. However I see two things that have me wondering if there is something wrong with the workings of the backup engine that I have and the outcome of a failed backup.

I am backing up from what 360 identifies as email and selects Documents and Settings folder to backup from. I left it at the default rather than adding anything to it such as the whole root drive or another drive (although the other drive is simply a small partition off of the c: drive). I am running WinXp Home Sp2 on a 2.6 Ghz Single CPU with 1.5 Gb of DDR memory onboard. 

The one thing I am noticing is that when it is backing up the Email selection that as the top (named backup) bar fills from left to right the bottom bar (Completed) goes from 0% to 4% as the the Backup bar goes from empty to filled and then starts over.  The Bottom bar never goes past 4% during the numerous times that the top bar goes from empty to full.

The hanging problem comes in play down the road of the backup. I say down the road becuase the program reports that the backup has 195 files (812.6 Mb) to backup and the actual backup stalls out at 106 files backed up. After stalling it brings up the One Click Support window that reports:

"Issue Detection

We have detected an issue with your Norton product.
The issue is: 8702, 356873189

Please click continue to contact us so we can assist you with this issue".

Hitting continue shows contact information and continuing after that point brings up the Processing Contact Information - We are processing information so that your support technician can help resolve your issue more quickly and effectively".

When I first got this message after waiting 20 minutes or so I decided to go to sleep for the night and five or so hours later it was still on this screen. I have since uninstalled 360 V3 without and then with the norton removal tool and reinstalled and can reproduce the error everytime that I run this particular backup. {added} I have noticed that as I leave this window running it will tell me there are a couple of more pages so I click on the red X at the top right and it again confirms my contact info. and goes back to the page where it hangs and the process continues. After lettings it run for a little while I am on page 4 of 4 :)

I haven't had a large need thus far for backing up, so far I just backup two much smaller areas (one custom) and this is the only area that I CURRENTLY know that produces this error and hanging message situation.

As I said it is not currently a big problem for me but I am wondering if others experience something similiar and if it is a known wide problem. I ask so that I will know if there is something to be done in the future should backup become more of an asset to me.

Thank you much,

Mumford68

Message Edited by mumford68 on 03-10-2009 02:07 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Hanging message for collecting information for support after failed backup in N360 V3.0.0.134.

Okay, not a huge deal for me as I thought it would come in handy backing up what Norton deems as "Email" in case something corrupts Outlook Express. However I see two things that have me wondering if there is something wrong with the workings of the backup engine that I have and the outcome of a failed backup.

I am backing up from what 360 identifies as email and selects Documents and Settings folder to backup from. I left it at the default rather than adding anything to it such as the whole root drive or another drive (although the other drive is simply a small partition off of the c: drive). I am running WinXp Home Sp2 on a 2.6 Ghz Single CPU with 1.5 Gb of DDR memory onboard. 

The one thing I am noticing is that when it is backing up the Email selection that as the top (named backup) bar fills from left to right the bottom bar (Completed) goes from 0% to 4% as the the Backup bar goes from empty to filled and then starts over.  The Bottom bar never goes past 4% during the numerous times that the top bar goes from empty to full.

The hanging problem comes in play down the road of the backup. I say down the road becuase the program reports that the backup has 195 files (812.6 Mb) to backup and the actual backup stalls out at 106 files backed up. After stalling it brings up the One Click Support window that reports:

"Issue Detection

We have detected an issue with your Norton product.
The issue is: 8702, 356873189

Please click continue to contact us so we can assist you with this issue".

Hitting continue shows contact information and continuing after that point brings up the Processing Contact Information - We are processing information so that your support technician can help resolve your issue more quickly and effectively".

When I first got this message after waiting 20 minutes or so I decided to go to sleep for the night and five or so hours later it was still on this screen. I have since uninstalled 360 V3 without and then with the norton removal tool and reinstalled and can reproduce the error everytime that I run this particular backup. {added} I have noticed that as I leave this window running it will tell me there are a couple of more pages so I click on the red X at the top right and it again confirms my contact info. and goes back to the page where it hangs and the process continues. After lettings it run for a little while I am on page 4 of 4 :)

I haven't had a large need thus far for backing up, so far I just backup two much smaller areas (one custom) and this is the only area that I CURRENTLY know that produces this error and hanging message situation.

As I said it is not currently a big problem for me but I am wondering if others experience something similiar and if it is a known wide problem. I ask so that I will know if there is something to be done in the future should backup become more of an asset to me.

Thank you much,

Mumford68

Message Edited by mumford68 on 03-10-2009 02:07 PM
Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Hanging message for collecting information for support after failed backup in N360 V3.0.0.134.

Okay, I know understand, with the help of those that volunteer here, that the reason for the One Click Support was due to running IE8 beta (RC-1). Uninstalling IE8 and letting it revert to IE7 has fixed that problem.

Although I still do not understand why I am receiving the error when trying to backup the email section.

Kudos0

I am having a similar problem...  I get the hang error every time I try to restore my files.     I've connected to support 4 times.   This last time I asked for a supervisor and after about 20 minutes, I got one..  Told them the problem for the 5th time and  then I got a message that the "supervisor" dissconnected the session!  Unbelievable.  THen to make it even funnier,  I get an email to reconnect with little or no wait time.  ( I guess since it was not my fault that we got disconnected)  I click it  and now im #12 on the cue.   You need a sense of humor for this stuff.

But back to the problem.    Im using XP sp3   , Norton 360 v.3 premier ,  Ie8 ,

What good is norton backup if it doesn't do the very thing it is supposed to do?  Am I supposed to speand hours online with reps, sending emails , taking screen shots , just to recover my files?  Ive gone to bed easy for years knowing my files were backed up by norton,.,,, that is until I needed them back.  They uploaded in a second,,, but they wont come back down........  If anyone has any knowledge of this problem please respond.. I would definately appreciate help from anyone who can solve this.

The problem again:  cant resotre files..  getting messages   such as:  issue 8702, or  "there is a problem with norton backup, please check the destination drive"

any help would be appreciated.

Kudos0

Hello Skana811,

I was wondering what kind of drive you had backed up from and what kind of drive you were trying to restore to (I know they are probably one in the same but I just wanted to make sure).

As you have 360 Premier I assume you are trying to restore a large amount of data, have you tried to restore, say, just one or two simple files?

I realise that you have spent some time dealing with support however most people on the forum don't have any details of those communications and any other information that you can provide here on the forum can help contributors to aid with helping you on your issue.

Take care,

Mumford68

Kudos0

Okay, I had read in a knowledge base article something about email not being able to be backed up. If this is true I am a little confused as simply clicking on 'email' as one of the type of files automatically targets identities in Outlook Express and apparently all the files associated with it.     I there is an incompatibility between Outlook Express and backing (since it seems to happen when it is almost done 'collecting files) up files?

Kudos0

Hi , thanks for reaponding.  I am trying to go right back to the same hard drive.  I finally re-installed windows after 5 years cause I guess after installing and uninstalling programs over the years  you know how it gets.............slow.  So I backed up everything and re-installed. Now , im trying to get my files back and what happens?  It doesn't work.  I definately tried one folder at a time, but I have no use for one file at a time cause as you said, there are a LOT of files.   Luckily, I coincided this move with the purchase of a new laptop and was (via easytransfer) able to back up most of the stuff to the lap top.  As my original pc runs XP, I had to go out and spend almost a hundred dollars on an external hard drive in order to get the backed up files back onto my original pc.   I've enjoyed norton products before, but this is ridiculous.  Isn't this what backup is supposed to be for?  If I didn't have a back up for my backup right now id be up a creek.  Norton assured me they are working on this problem and get back to me but its been weeks and I havn't heard yet.  There are still  some files that ONLY exist in my norton backup and I will be needing sooner or later.  When I try to run backup now, I get a message that sais I have run into an intermitent error that norton is aware of and working to resolve.  Lets hope thats true.  Thanks again for responding. any advice would be appreciated.

Skana811

Kudos0

Hi Skana811,

We are trying to reproduce this issue and we would like to get some more information from you - 

1) Do you see the same issue for your multiple backup sets (if created) ? Else, can you try creating another backup set and try a backup and restore?

2) The backup that is done to local drive, is it restored to the same drive or a different destination?

Another option that you can try out is, trying to restore your files from "Norton Backup Drive" (that is present under "My Computer").  You can navigate to the drive where your backup is stored and do a drag-drop/right click to restore the files. 

Thanks

Padma

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.